Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Juggling of Boyz and Nobs
Old 27 Dec 2009, 02:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Juggling of Boyz and Nobs

Organizing my small but growing Ork army, I am faced with options that I am unsure of, but am pretty sure that experienced Ork players know automatically. So here goes. with this limited model pool, whats the best way to juggle the nobs?

Warboss- TwL shoota, choppa, hvy armor

Nob1- TwL Shoota, Waaagh! Banner, hvy armor

Nob2- Power Klaw, slugga, Hvy armor

Nob3- Twl Shoota, choppa, hvy armor

Nob4- Twl Shoota, choppa, hvy armor

Nob5- Choppa, Slugga, Hvy Armor

Nob6- Choppa, Slugga, Hvy Armor

[all nobs have bosspole bits on them, mostly for looks, and all are heavy armor models]

16 old fashioned "slugga boys"

12 "undecided" Boys [could be made to any type of boy]

[edit: + 11 more boys still in box]

3 Big Shoota Boys [from back when I could have 3 in a mob]
[hr]

OK, so, with this small pool... im unsure how to allot Nobs.

nob1 with slugga boys? Of the banner Nob? attach the boss for a big mob?

Nob5 and 1 big shoota boy with 8 slugga boys [times 2 with other basic Nob and another big shoota]. then the other 12 boys shoota boys with a Nob of its own?

one big mob of 30 boys, big shootas and Klaw nob included... with a seperate "5 man Nob Squad"?

And so on and so on... the Boys are pretty simple- either 10 boy mobs to get all my big shootas included, or 1 big mob of basic slugga boys, or the "undecided 12 boys" could be modded to flash gits, 'ard boys or something, using all my unused shoota bits from the original 16, or... something

[hr]

So, my question, with this starting group, whats the best way to do the boys, and nobs, in the new edition rules? [im still putting these boys together since the 4th edition was new]. What is an optimal use of the models, and whats potentially a waste of time? and why?

thanks! Right now I'm just having fun painting them, but eventually would like to know how to glob them together
Old 29 Dec 2009, 23:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Juggling of Boyz and Nobs

... I guess the big thing making me want to go with a big Nob Squad is the Boss's "Big boss" rule.. something to the effect of "Nob Squad may be taken as a troop choice".. making for a big, tough, multiple wound squad for holding our outright smashing and grabbing objectives.

IF I understand the rules correctly... Does a Nob squad taken as a troop choice count for holding objectives? Or is it strictly "units that are found in the troop section of the codex" that can hold objectives? If troop slot Nobs cant hold objectives, then having an expensive Nob Squad looses a lot of its appeal, and I may just give nobs to each pack of boys, and leave the leftovers for a small nobsquad that the boss can attach to.

I went to go buy the Black Reach box for all the extra orky goodies like bikes/buggies and choppa [or whatever comes in it] but they didnt have any at my LGS.. so I just bought more Boys [a safe bet]. Adding all my orky models up so far, its still only 800 points or so.. and thats with 39 boys and 6 nobs, 3 Kans and a Dread (oh and a sad single Kannon.. coulda swore I had a full 3).
Old 30 Dec 2009, 02:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nobz taken as troops, can take/hold objectives. It is one of the main reasons people take them, besides being dead killy. Instead of another box of boyz I'd get the nobz box, if you don't already have it. Probably the best box GW makes. AOBR is such a better deal for boyz, so I'd wait and get that before buying more boyz boxes. Plus the nob that comes in the boyz box is tiny compared to the AOBR or nobz box ones.

As far as your growing army and its makeup, you've got to decide on the type of list you want to play first. Just know that each boyz squad needs a nob with a power claw and bosspole. I'd take all the bosspoles off any nobz in a nobz squad though except one, just to avoid confusion. I have a squad of 8 nobz I take as my smash troops, but I don't use eavy armor on them, just the cybork bodies and the FNP from the painboy. It saves me 40 points, and the one less armor save hasn't hurt me yet. Here are the 8 nobz I have, which comes to 315 points:

painboy
choppa/slugga X 2
combi skorcha
big choppa
big choppa, waaagh banner
power claw
power claw, bosspole
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2009, 03:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

While talking Nob weapons: I'm a bit confused about some things:

Shoota's: basically Orky Bolters... arent they two handed? So apparently Nobs are like HQ 'heroes', who are manly enough to sling a rifle 1 handed with a choppa in the other hand.... While I have figgured out that the shoota does NOT grant a +1 additional CCW attack for having 2 weapons... I'm a bit confused on the two handed thing.... as in Big Choppas/waaagh! banners. IS a Nob 'orky' enough to swing a big choppa around AND carry a banner... or a twinlinked Shoota??

Exactly where/when is that "two handed" thing enforced? CAN a Nob get all unreasonable and take a Big Choppa AND a twinlinked shoota? Can a BOSS?
Old 30 Dec 2009, 03:22   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Shootas are not Pistols so thus they don't give the +1 Attack for having an additional CCW. You need 2 CCWs for the +1 to Attack which is usually 2 CCWs, 1 CCW and 1 Pistol or 2 Pistols.

The 'Two-Handed' issue is only limited to Close Combat where you decide whether or not the model gets an additional attack for having an additional CCW. So yes, you can have a Warboss/Nob with Power Klaw and Shoota.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2009, 11:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Zenai has it right. You can indeed carry around those weapons. Two handed weapons aren't what they used to be in 4th. In 5th the only impact is in assault. As Zenai is saying, if your Nob had a big choppa and a slugga then he gains no bonus for +1 CCW because the big choppa is a 2h weapon. So, taking a shoota when you take a big choppa is not a bad idea because you aren't giving up an attack doing so.
Old 30 Dec 2009, 14:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd definitely put your klaw nob in with a mob of sluggaz. It gives them an extra bite in close combat and helps them move from a solely anti-infantry unit, into an all-round "tactical mob". Ideally, in this age of vehicles and monsters, every mob that isn't solely dedicated to shooting should have a nob with a klaw.

To that end, I highly recommend that you get another box of nobz. It includes enough bitz to make 3 power klaw nobz (plus two other nobz of your choice).

To give you more information on mob-sizing and whatnot, I'd need to see the context of your list. Are you going to be speed-freaky (i.e. riding all or most of your mobz in trukks and wagons) or more foot-based?

Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2009, 00:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

speed freek, mech, tin can, foot slogging... I dunno yet.

My total list is as follows:
Boss (choppa/shoota)
6 Nobs
39 Boys or boys 2-be
3 Killa Kans
1 Dread
1 Kannon

I think my very next buy is gonna be a Nob Painboy, for obvious reasons. Then maybe burna boys, or a Mek/BigMek (but am still wanting to do 2 bosses= 2 objective-able Nob[mega armored?] Squads)

I dunno about trukks (I playTau mostly, and know from the other side of the table how "explodey" they are, and tend to shy away from "minimum" 12 boy mobs), and in fact most of my Orky army ideas are newbie and a bit naive...
Old 31 Dec 2009, 12:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

12 Boyz isn't a lot by any means and AV10 can get penned by a damn pistol but don't discount an 18" movement in a Trukk or moving 12", disembarking 2", Waaaghing! up to 6" and a 6" charge. Even without using Waaagh! you still have a 20" charge range out of a Trukk. You field enough Trukks so you can lose one or two and then you double charge units. Toss in a KFF from a Big Mek and you have a reasonably survivable fast moving list.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 14:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
speed freek, mech, tin can, foot slogging... I dunno yet.

My total list is as follows:
Boss (choppa/shoota)
6 Nobs
39 Boys or boys 2-be
3 Killa Kans
1 Dread
1 Kannon

I think my very next buy is gonna be a Nob Painboy, for obvious reasons. Then maybe burna boys, or a Mek/BigMek (but am still wanting to do 2 bosses= 2 objective-able Nob[mega armored?] Squads)
My advice - don't get the metal painboy. Get a box of nobz - it's only a bit more, they're plastic and you can make a painboy out of one of them (it has all sorts of nifty bitz like a buzzsaw [bonesaw] and a harpoon gun that can be made into a urty syringe with some ease).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
12 Boyz isn't a lot by any means and AV10 can get penned by a damn pistol but don't discount an 18" movement in a Trukk or moving 12", disembarking 2", Waaaghing! up to 6" and a 6" charge. Even without using Waaagh! you still have a 20" charge range out of a Trukk. You field enough Trukks so you can lose one or two and then you double charge units. Toss in a KFF from a Big Mek and you have a reasonably survivable fast moving list.
On the other hand, there's nothing quite like the sight of a foot-slogging horde on the table. I just love to hear the low whistles and prayers that my mighty horde elicits from a new opponent.

Game-wise, a foot horde is big enough to be durable and will often make up for its relative lack of mobility by carpeting the table with green bodies. Granted, you'll be getting charged most of the time, but that's okay! You've got the numbers to take some casualties and even more numbers to hit back with.

Besides, we have cookies in the footslogging world, and you don't have to worry about the downpayment on those trukks. ;D
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote