Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Against Grey Knights...need assistance
Old 26 Nov 2009, 20:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Against Grey Knights...need assistance

So my friend finished nids and is starting grey knights. He doesn't have too models, so it was a fun proxy match at 500 pts. He literally had one squad of five termies and a dreadnaught. I didn't know what to do, so I just piled in the boys and boss, and a squad of lootas..

The lootas did the most, and the boss killed the dread. His Holocaust thing decimated my boys, so did his nemesis weapons. Brother Stern or whatever. I literally won at the last second, one wound left on my boss.

So when he goes big scale with this thing, how do I beat him.
kennyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2009, 07:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Against Grey Knights...need assistance

First, a few things to watch out for with GKs.

1). Incinerators! These things will wreak havoc amongst the boyz, allowing no armor, cover, or invul saves! (unless you have mega armor on). Worse yet, he can field 2 per squad for a mere 20 points!
2). Scourging! The bane of trying to shoot Grey Knights, this power makes you have to test for night fighting to shoot them. So now your Lootas and SAG seem even less accurate.
3). Nemesis Force Weapons! Watch out for a character wielding this bad boy (especially Stern); they'll strike before your claws (at S6 with a lot of attacks) and can wipe out your Warboss with a single blow!

So now that I've given you some things to fear, here's some tips on how to beat dem shiny gitz.

1). Fink like a Goff! 'Ard Boyz get a save against Holocaust, and the storm bolters of the enemy. To make them more durable...
2). Put 'em in da Trukk! Trukks greatly increase the survivability of da boyz, allowing them to reach the Grey Knights in good numbers.
3). VROOM-FWOOOSH! Even better than regular boyz in the trukk, try some burnas! Even Scourging can't protect them from point blank range shots (minimum range of Night Fighting Shots: 6", maximum range of flame template: about 7"). Worse yet, there are few things in the game that could survive 12 flame templates, and the Grey Knights probably aren't on the list. Better still, after you've FWOOSH'ed one squad, charge another next turn and power weapon them to death!
4). Dread da Dredds! The major flaw of the Grey Knights list is a lack of ranged anti-armor; even in close combat they only really have the Dreadnought themselves. A Deff Dredd should be able to tie up a Grey Knight Terminator squad for the game, and still come out the victor. Just watch out for that Land Raider dedicated transport...it could ruin your plans.
5). Deff Koptas to da rescue! Deff Koptas are hard for the Grey Knights to deal with; tough, decently armoured, and fast, the only real shot that GKs have at downing them is in close combat...don't give them the luxury. Bomb the ever-loving Gork out of them!

Hope that helps at all. Also, do you know if he's bringing along an inquisitor/Lord and/or allies? Because those can make huge differences to his playstyle.

Hive Fleet Omukade: 8/0/0
Raven Guard: 8/2/0

Latest Result: Wipeout victory for the Tyranids!

irishdelinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2009, 19:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Straight guards and he wants to try mixing Imp Guard in. So I need help with both. I only beat him once because it was 500 Pts and he forgot about the checking for if I can see him rule
Old 28 Nov 2009, 05:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Swarm him. Those incinerators can't take out an entire green tide. Tie up his grey nights with 1 maxed out squad of grots, then take care of the dreadnaught. Once that threat has been removed, 5 models shouldn't be hard too kill.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 19:14   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah, I won that battle, but what happens when he scales up. Do I just scale up the swarm?
Old 29 Nov 2009, 04:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yep, scale up da green tide. I don't think even a grey knight could not withstand 60+ weak attacks (on the charge) They are bound to fail a few of those nice little saves they have.

Or use the dirty nob bikers all equiped differently build, where you cqan allocate wounds to your hearts content. Dirty, but effective.
Old 29 Nov 2009, 17:48   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Play at higher points and you'll most likely see a very different result. Simple as that.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2009, 18:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyha
yeah, I won that battle, but what happens when he scales up. Do I just scale up the swarm?
Grey Knights have a problem with tanks and dreadnoughts, as they lack ranged anti-tank firepower and (for 90% of the GK players out there), power fists/thunder hammers.

A deff dread may not be a bad idea at all. Get it into combat with the grey knight termies and he will have a field day - all they can do is glance him. At the very least, he will be something that makes him think twice about assaulting.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote