Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why buy Big Shootas?
Old 22 Nov 2009, 09:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Why buy Big Shootas?

Sorry to ask this, if its to noobie of a question, but why buy big shootas for your boyz?
Personally I normally always run my boyz down the field during shooting the first turn and normally on the second I declare Waghh, fleet of foot and then assault. To me it just seems like the little guys should almost always be charging into the battle because 30 boyz with 4 attacks with the charge is mean and I normally field a lot better guns s5 assault 3.

p.s
Sorry if anyone has asked this question before, I looked around and didnt see it.
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 12:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Why buy Big Shootas?

It's really just a matter of your opinion and what you think works best.

And of course different weapons are more useful in different situations.

:-\

Please take a look at this thread !!!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,98302.0.html
xenoscd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 16:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

You use Sluggas, which get less use out of big shootas. I have one BS in my 20 man slugga squads, that's just so that they're not standing around picking their noses when it comes to objectives. Also, It's funny when I wreck a tank that ignored them.

Shoota boyz get a lot more use out of Big Shootas; they give higher strength shots at a longer range, as well as adding to the total number of shots from the squad (upping it to around 63, I believe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 16:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use them in a Shoota squad because, well they're shooting and not running. I put them in a Slugga squad occasionally if I think I'll need some ranged anti-infantry, say I plan to grab an objective and sit on it. Sure, you give up one attack on the Boy with it but you gain an assault 3 weapon with a big range that wounds most things on 3's, 2's if you're lucky. Really it just depends on how you play and what you think you may be facing.
Old 22 Nov 2009, 17:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I always make my boyz shootas. And give them rokkits for anti tank. But agian its all down to prefrence
arsenal1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 18:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

All of my shoota nobs have them. I don't use them ever turn, but they've come in handy on more than one occasion. Snipah Snipah got his name for taking out a Space Marine scout squad with his big shoota, while falling back over three rounds.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2009, 20:02   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
You use Sluggas, which get less use out of big shootas. I have one BS in my 20 man slugga squads, that's just so that they're not standing around picking their noses when it comes to objectives. Also, It's funny when I wreck a tank that ignored them.

Shoota boyz get a lot more use out of Big Shootas; they give higher strength shots at a longer range, as well as adding to the total number of shots from the squad (upping it to around 63, I believe).
lol, that would be funny to see glance to death a tank
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2009, 01:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I routinely glance tanks to death. I usually don't count on the nob and his power claw to do the job, cause mine seem to be blind in cc. However, the 44 attacks from the sluggas or 33 from the shootas often get multiple immobilized or weapon destroyed results. Plus if you glance a vehicle to death you don't have to worry about it blowing up in your face and killing your boyz.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2009, 02:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I use big shootas because they're heavy bolters that you can move with. Use one mob with big shootas and let them snipe at enemy units as they move. Of course they're more efficient with shoota boyz but I use mine with slugga boyz (my shoota boyz tote rokkits). You'd be surprised what 9 bit shoota shots can do. For some reason, at BS 2, you always end up with 1-2 kills (at least that's my experience). At their cost, that's nothing to sneeze at.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2009, 08:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Also, just wanted to add on the whole glancing tanks to bits business is that if you manage an Immobilized result, then it makes any resulting assault THAT much easier
Orks love nothing more than automatic hits.

I've actually been a fan more of Rokkits than Big Shootas, if only that I face a LOT of mech and MC's around my area, so I really do need the big, if entirely inaccurate hits.

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote