Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

From AoBR to 1500 points... and cheap!
Old 14 Nov 2009, 03:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default From AoBR to 1500 points... and cheap!

Well, folks, I recently decided to make Warhammer 40,000 my first foray into tabletop gaming, and after a few rounds of Assault on Black Reach, I have to admit I like it. A lot.

So, for the sake of using what I already have (and getting a hilariously flavorful force to boot), I've decided to build an Ork army. Since I've already got AoBR, you know I've got a Warboss, two mobs of Boyz, a mob of Nobz, and a few Deffkoptas.

What, then, is the natural starting point to a 1500 point army?

Keep in mind I don't have a ton of experience, and I'm just playing against the folks at the place in the mall. I need a decently well-rounded force, but most importantly, I need to get to it CHEAPLY.

To that end, I've gotten a few recommendations. The official GW site suggests a mishmash of expensive models, so that's not necessarily gonna work. I've had someone from another forum suggest buying a crapton of Boyz and running with it. Lastly, I've been casting suspicious glances at the Orks Megaforce, with its pile of Boyz and horde of Nobz and its Trukk and Lootaz and enough Warbikers that maybe they could actually be useful... but NO Heavy Support choice!

So I ask you, help a newbie out. What's the cheapest way for me to get to 1500 points without being utterly useless on the battlefield?
ChampionHyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2009, 04:36   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: From AoBR to 1500 points... and cheap!

Convert the Space Marine Dread into the Deffa Dread thats what I did
MrPohPoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2009, 04:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionHyena
Well, folks, I recently decided to make Warhammer 40,000 my first foray into tabletop gaming, and after a few rounds of Assault on Black Reach, I have to admit I like it. A lot.

So, for the sake of using what I already have (and getting a hilariously flavorful force to boot), I've decided to build an Ork army. Since I've already got AoBR, you know I've got a Warboss, two mobs of Boyz, a mob of Nobz, and a few Deffkoptas.

What, then, is the natural starting point to a 1500 point army?

Keep in mind I don't have a ton of experience, and I'm just playing against the folks at the place in the mall. I need a decently well-rounded force, but most importantly, I need to get to it CHEAPLY.

To that end, I've gotten a few recommendations. The official GW site suggests a mishmash of expensive models, so that's not necessarily gonna work. I've had someone from another forum suggest buying a crapton of Boyz and running with it. Lastly, I've been casting suspicious glances at the Orks Megaforce, with its pile of Boyz and horde of Nobz and its Trukk and Lootaz and enough Warbikers that maybe they could actually be useful... but NO Heavy Support choice!

So I ask you, help a newbie out. What's the cheapest way for me to get to 1500 points without being utterly useless on the battlefield?
Give us a budget, and let us figure something out.

I especially like things like this.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2009, 06:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Do you have a general idea of what type of list you want to run? Speed Freaks, Goffs , Green Horde, Dakka-tastic...the lists go on. In fact, I'll try and help you make all of the lists I just mentioned.

Speed Freaks: To make this one, you only need a few more boys (you'd like a total of around 36-ish, all mounted in trukks) which means another AOBR might help. Another AOBR also helps fills out the Deffkoptas, which is a good addition to the SF list. Look into a Nob bike squad, some trukks, and Grots to hold objectives.

Goffs: Goffs lists rely on powerful units of elite troops. Get more Nobs (especially Bikers), Deff Dredds (convert the AOBR dread), and a Big Mek to cover your troops with a cover save.

Green Horde: This list relies on a ton of orks, just swarming their way into combat. For $90, AOBR is (once again ) the best option to add some numbers, along with maybe a battleforce.

Dakka-tastic: This one relies on Lootas and Shootas, so the Battleforce will be your best port of call. Basically, find anything that puts out a lot of shots, and then buy a lot of them.

Well, that's basically it for themed lists, but if you had more of a price range/themed force in mind, I would try and help out more.

Hive Fleet Omukade: 8/0/0
Raven Guard: 8/2/0

Latest Result: Wipeout victory for the Tyranids!

irishdelinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2009, 14:43   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi
Give us a budget, and let us figure something out.

I especially like things like this.
Well, lessee here. Megaforce is two hundred bucks, and the other recommendations have run about $250. Really, as cheap as possible is the goal, though I'd like to keep my current AoBR forces mostly intact (in case someone wants a casual game and doesn't have their own army). So I'd like to stay away from brutally converting my current models. No chopping up my Warboss and calling him a Big Mek, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdelinquent
Do you have a general idea of what type of list you want to run? Speed Freaks, Goffs , Green Horde, Dakka-tastic...the lists go on. In fact, I'll try and help you make all of the lists I just mentioned.

Speed Freaks: To make this one, you only need a few more boys (you'd like a total of around 36-ish, all mounted in trukks) which means another AOBR might help. Another AOBR also helps fills out the Deffkoptas, which is a good addition to the SF list. Look into a Nob bike squad, some trukks, and Grots to hold objectives.

Goffs: Goffs lists rely on powerful units of elite troops. Get more Nobs (especially Bikers), Deff Dredds (convert the AOBR dread), and a Big Mek to cover your troops with a cover save.

Green Horde: This list relies on a ton of orks, just swarming their way into combat. For $90, AOBR is (once again ) the best option to add some numbers, along with maybe a battleforce.

Dakka-tastic: This one relies on Lootas and Shootas, so the Battleforce will be your best port of call. Basically, find anything that puts out a lot of shots, and then buy a lot of them.

Well, that's basically it for themed lists, but if you had more of a price range/themed force in mind, I would try and help out more.
Again, price is around $200 (if I can buy everything I need in a box, so much the better). By necessity, the army might have to be Goffs, considering that's how the boyz are getting painted. The GW site's painting instructions for the Goffs are the most thorough, and I like explicit instruction. So that'd mean Nobz (WE'LL COME BACK LA'ER WIF MORE NOBZ), Bikers, a Dread, and a Big Mek?

I really appreciate the help on this. Also, do we have a positive yea/nay on the Megaforce? It would simplify my life profoundly, but if I can't make a viable army out of it, I need to know.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 15:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

if your going for Goffs, the megaforce would be a no, but it would be great for a speed freeks or green tide army, because you get the 9 warbikes and the trukk which is quite what you need really and the 40 boyz makes a great starting point for green tide, 30 normal boyz and you could turn 10 of them into ard boyz (good for stuffing inside a trukk)
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2009, 23:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you want to stay cheap, but don't want to do conversions maybe you should play the Space Marines out of the AOBR box. For you to do Orks cheaply you HAVE to convert. You can make just about any unit in the game, out of the AOBR boyz, and some bitz. Not to mention that's one of the most fun aspects about Orks. I'd suggest getting the nobz box, and maybe the lootas as well, but other than that convert/build everything else.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2009, 06:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well the assault on black reach set is excellent for many reasons. The first is after you get five of the boxes (yes I know that's a tad much) You will have 15 deffkoptas, 100 boyz, 25 nobs and 5 warbosses, who can be converted easily to look like powerclaw using nobs. Then you get the rules book, dice and templates, plus all those space marines.

Now just in terms of math: you pay $75 USD for the AOBR sets, remove $15 for the rulesbook and dice/templates and you have $60 worth of stuff. Divide by 2 and you have $30 worth of orks.

Now 10 ork boyz are $22 usd on the GW website, you have 20 in the box. A single deffkopta is $30 usd, five nobs is $35 and a warboss $20. To match whats in the AOBR set you would need to pay $189 USD. You save $159.

So if you bought a total of 5 AOBR boxes, you would have $945 worth of models, only spending $375. Then you can put your other 4 rulebooks, dice and templates (together, in 4 separate listings) on e-bay and get $10-15 easy, so $40-60 back. So you actually spend $315-335 for all those orks and an excellent army that can actually hit 3000 points.

Now if you sold the space marines, I know the dreadnoughts would sell well and don't really have a clue about the others. Either way, buy more AOBR sets, and then flush it out with what else you want. Don't want to use deffkoptas? They can easily be turned into bikes. I went and got a mek with shokk attack gun and a weird boy with the orks that I have gotten from 4 AOBR sets, and it works well. Nothing quite like fielding more units than your opponents can kill.

Anyway, I hope what I have told you here helps your decision, and if all else fails just get units that fit your place style.
Orks 15 3 2 (Mekboy and weirdboy based force with boyz, deffkoptas and walkers)
Chaos12 2 4 (Infantry based chaos)
juraigamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2009, 16:16   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by juraigamer
So if you bought a total of 5 AOBR boxes, you would have $945 worth of models, only spending $375. Then you can put your other 4 rulebooks, dice and templates (together, in 4 separate listings) on e-bay and get $10-15 easy, so $40-60 back. So you actually spend $315-335 for all those orks and an excellent army that can actually hit 3000 points.
I appreciate the help, but even selling the Space Marines (which is not a sure thing), $335 is a lot of money for me. Plus, the local place has only so many copies of AoBR, and I'd have to buy the rest online (and pay shipping and handling and bleeeaaargh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsea212
if your going for Goffs, the megaforce would be a no, but it would be great for a speed freeks or green tide army, because you get the 9 warbikes and the trukk which is quite what you need really and the 40 boyz makes a great starting point for green tide, 30 normal boyz and you could turn 10 of them into ard boyz (good for stuffing inside a trukk)
Even without a Heavy Support choice? Has anyone tried an army like this? How well do they do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
If you want to stay cheap, but don't want to do conversions maybe you should play the Space Marines out of the AOBR box. For you to do Orks cheaply you HAVE to convert.
DOOMED

Maybe I need to just commit insurance fraud and get some spending money.
Old 16 Nov 2009, 16:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I can't say I have tried a Heavy Support Force but when i have the money i will get lobbas and battlewagons for my heavy support, mybye killa kans.
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote