Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ork Boomguns
Old 13 Nov 2009, 04:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Ork Boomguns

Is the Looted Wagon the only model for the Orks (FW excluded for this) that can carry this weapon? If so then it seems my Ork-fielding "mate" cheated.

I'm a Tau player, and this damned weapon wiped out 2 squads of Fire Warriors who cannot protect against it. The offending Ork model in question appears to be an Ork Boy or a Nob. I checked both their entries and the entire Ork Army List, and nothing is mentioned about them being able to use Boomguns.

He cheated I reckon!
CyberPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2009, 04:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Ork Boomguns

The only possible confusion could be that he was using a Shokk Attack Gun, which is an infantry-portable, large blast weapon.

Otherwise, though, he is indeed a heinously cheating git, unworthy to call himself a Greenskin. Boomguns may only be taken by Looted Wagons.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2009, 04:41   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Sound like a Big Mek with Shokk Attakk Gun. It is an Ordnance weapon but it's Strength must be rolled; 2D6 but AP2. Did he says it ignores cover? Or your FWs are out in the open?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2009, 04:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Sound like a Big Mek with Shokk Attakk Gun. It is an Ordnance weapon but it's Strength must be rolled; 2D6 but AP2. Did he says it ignores cover? Or your FWs are out in the open?
They were, stupidly, out in the open and huddled together. Luckily the 3 squads weren't huddled next to one another!

Next time, I'm purposefully moving second and letting him come closer...then BAM!! Cut him down with Tau guns and let Anghkor Prok's Kroot squad jump on them and slice 'em up!
Old 13 Nov 2009, 05:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Before every battle you should ask your opponent, "do you have any blast, template, or barrage weapons, and do you have any units that deep strike, outflank, scout, infiltrate, or come in with drop pods." Knowing those answers will help a lot with deployment.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2009, 05:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Both him and myself are still somewhat newbish at the game. But thanks - I'll ask all of those questions next time. Would help if he actually had an Ork Codex. I was almost tempted to buy one for him. But at $45 AUD, maybe not.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 10:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Every person starting a new army should ALLWAYS get a codex before they collect the actural army, otherwise you will not know what you are doing most of the time and unable to see their full potential

and yes, boomguns can only be mounted on Looted Wagons! >
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2009, 11:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsea212
Every person starting a new army should ALLWAYS get a codex before they collect the actural army, otherwise you will not know what you are doing most of the time and unable to see their full potential

and yes, boomguns can only be mounted on Looted Wagons! >
So theoretically, he could have an entire army that is completely invalid by the 5E rules!? That'd suck if that were the case.

I at least researched what race I wanted first, and their different potentials. Then I bought what I wanted to match all of that.

Although now I'm getting a guy two towns over to do the hobby side of things for me. Good on him!

Anyways, thanks for the confirmation guys. Now I can truly slaughter his Orks! I only wish I had a Hammerhead, because that Large Blast Railgun shot would be very handy indeed. According to the Ork Reference Sheet, not much can survive against a Large Blast of Str 6 and AP 4, as their saves are invalidated. Most of those units only have 1 wound, and it's not hard to get a 2+ to-wound roll.
Old 13 Nov 2009, 13:20   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

He needs a codex. The only reason the Shokk Attack Gun is balanced is that occasionally it misfires in a spectacular fashion, and also is somewhat inaccurate.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2009, 17:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

you want a hammerhead? got a devilfish? if you have a devilfish buy the hammerhead weapons bitz on the GW shop for 7.95 pounds (stupid keyboard wont let me get the pounds sign) and you can just take off the top turret off the devilfish and stick the turret from it with railgun attached to it, once thats done take out your gun drones and use them as your gun drones, now make your own rocket drones (or burst cannons if you want) and fit them where you took the gun drone out, and finally take out the burst cannon in the middle and use the eye-like thing from the weapon bitz and bang! you got a hammerhead
Jasonsea212 is offline   Reply With Quote