Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Orks
Old 09 Nov 2009, 06:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New to Orks

Hi everyone,
It looks like I'm going to be getting the ork side of the black reach set some time soon through a trade and I was wondering where to go from there. I'm not all that interested in making a viable army because I have my 2 Chaos ones for that but I would like to expand it with models that are fun to build and/or paint.

I've already decided I want the nobz box set and probably at least 2 gretchin boxes too (love those little guys) but is there anything else you guys recommend?

Swapping out a reasonably well painted ultramarine tac squad and chaplain cassius as well as a converted sternguard/tyrannic war veteran squad from a failed attempt at starting ultramarines if anyone is interested

Not all that fussed on the Warboss from AoBR so I will have to pick up a HQ, what's ghazskull like to paint?

Ave Domina Nox
Temar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2009, 09:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: New to Orks

With all the nobz your going to have I would say that a battlewagon would be a good move. Even if your not going for a fast force you could sure use it to get your Elite unit where u want it. But to keep it cheap and easy at the start MORE BOYZ! ;D
Old 09 Nov 2009, 11:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I wouldn't buy Ghazzie unless you really want to play a giant swarm list. He's really expensive, a pain to put together, and more fun to convert. Your next purchase always depends on how you want to play them. I'd say read through the codex, and get a feel for which units you like, and the fluff of the clans that interest you.

If you want fun units that aren't super competitive take these:
Warphead
Kans
Shokk attack big mek
Stormboys
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2009, 14:15   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

the warphead will probably be on the 'to buy' list after just seeing the model, same for the battlewagon, very nice models and they look like they would be a pleasure to build/paint.

The stormboys also look like a cool move.
Is there anything that is particuarly good at representing the bad moon klan? Loota's maybe?
i really fancy having a crack at yellow.

thank you both for your replies.

Ave Domina Nox
Old 09 Nov 2009, 14:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd only buy the warphead model if you really like it, otherwise just convert a nob; much cheaper.

If you are interested in a Bad Moonz army, I'd try a test model first and see if you can do the yellow justice. I've started to paint one of my deffkoptas in Bad Moonz colors, and I'm not liking the result so far. As for models:

Big Meks
Meganobz
Nobz
Pimped out vehicles of all types
Flash Gitz
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2009, 14:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I love my Orks. I love converted non-ork models into Ork Models even better.

Some units I have not had a lot of luck with:

Stormboyz
Ork Kommandos

Models I want:

Painboyz, to put with my Nobz. Cygork bodies are the way to go. If you can make them tougher, then thats good right?

Also I ended up getting like 30 Nobz myself. I probably got too many, but oh well. What I did do is go on ebay and buy tons of Powerclaws. Those are pretty good but you don't need 1 on every Nob. I found 1 out of 3 or 4 Nobs with a Powerclaw to be pretty good. The problem is, the Nob Box set only comes with one powerclaw (to my knowledge). I found my extras on ebay for around $3.00-$4.00 each. Seems expensive, but it is really cool to have them.

When I bought the extra power klaws, I used them to make the AoBR Nobs better. In addition, the Nob box set has some extra bits that you can use to spruce up the AoBR nobs.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Lord Scythican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2009, 15:34   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks guys.

I do like the warphead model quite a bit so I think I'll buy it rather than convert.
The idea of mixing nob bits from the box and the AoBR nobz hadn't occurred to me at all so thank you for that suggestion. actually quite shocked at myself for not thinking of that.

Mega-nobz are another unit i love the models for and so will be getting. Are they decent enough on their own though or should they have a warboss with them?
To me they seem like elite bodyguards so thats why I was looking at Ghazghkull but if they are strong enough on their own I won't bother.

I decided on the Bad Moon clan for a challenge and because I fancied following the tutorial from white dwarf from a few months back (the one with a converted AoBR warboss if anyone can remember it), I've used a few of those tutorials now and had models come out looking pretty good but I will definitely do a test run first seeing as how yellow is an awkward colour.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to model Flash Gitz? I'm not really sure on how they are supposed to look

Ave Domina Nox
Old 09 Nov 2009, 16:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Meganobz need something with them for leadership. On their own they have lousy leadership and can't take a bosspole, so a Warboss, Big Mek, something to go with them is needed.

Flash Gitz are just Nobz with big fancy guns. Just take some Nobz and convert the guns and you have Flash Gitz.