Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help against Imperial Guard
Closed Thread
Old 02 Jul 2005, 15:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex
Default Help against Imperial Guard

Agh! The endless seas of humanity have butchered my mobs yet again! One way or another, my worst defeats have always been from the hands of the Imperial Guard. Usually they shoot me up before I can even reach their lines, between the endless amount of models and special weapons these guys can field.

Please I'm asking you fellow Orks to give me some pointers for next time I face this menace.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
Old 02 Jul 2005, 16:47   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Help against Imperial Guard

Well, you could always mount up as many Trukk Boyz mobs as you can get...

*has visions of Griffon Mortar shells landing on top of trukk, penetrating, and rolling a six.*

...or not. Well, how about rushing him with a big hoard?

*has visions of Heavy Bolters, Lasguns, and lots of Pie Plates landing amidst the Orks.*

Maybe not... ever considered outshooting him?

Seriously. One for one, an Ork Shoota Boy is actually better at shooting than a Guardsman. Sure, he hits more than you do, but he's got a weaker gun.

Let's explain by numbers:

IG vs Shoota Boyz:
10 shots. 5 hit, 1.666 wounds, 1.3888 failed armour saves.

Shoota Boyz vs IG:
10 shots. 3.333 hit, 2.222 wounds, 1.481481 failed armour saves.

So as you can see, statistically Orks should kill more Guard with Shootas than Guard can kill Orks with Lasguns. Throw three Big Shootas into each mob, and you've got a big scary shooty-force that can give the Guard a run for their money! Add some anti-tank units, and some fast-moving assault units, and you can boast to the world that you're an Ork player who out-shoots Guard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 02 Jul 2005, 17:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

Hmm yeah I know the BS2 S4 of shootas is pretty much on par with the BS3 S3 of lasguns... and yeah the T4 of orks makes them more resilient. Lack of armour save is a problem but that's what grots, KFF's and cover is for. Orks have access to pie-plates as well, and our lobbas are better than mortars. Throw in some warbikes and warbuggies with big shootas and we got lots of re-rollable shots that need 2+ to wound your guardsmen. Flash gitz with more dakka could be the way to go.

So basically you're suggesting taking a shooty(er) approach to guard? The orks would never hold up in a standup firefight, as guard still outnumbers and can wield alot more special weapons. Still whenever I have fought guard it was with an all-comers type of list that would do well against say space marines and eldar, even tyranids... but gets blown apart by guard. We ork players usually tend to skimp on things like big shootas, lobbas and shoota boys in favor of rokkits, zzap guns, and slugga boys.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
Old 02 Jul 2005, 17:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Imperial Guard are tough because the Guard can outswamp an Ork player, Outshoot an Ork player and bring some impressive armour to boot. *Orks shining grace with IG are the Ork Close combat skills. *Figure a way to get Orks stuck in and you've got a good chance.

Use terrain to block and shield when you can, but don't dally around to long. *Smaller tables (4' X 4' and 4' X 6&#39 tend to help Ork players. *Speed Freaks and Kult Of Speed Ork armies tend to have a hard time against Tank heavy IG armies. *I have found Footslogers to be the most effective, arm them with loads of Rokkits and Big Shootas (toss in a couple of Burnas for fun * ). *For some reason, Killa Kans make most IG players `go crazy' and the Killa Kans can be useful in soaking up a couple of rounds of `shootiness' from your Guard opponent. *While 225 points for five Kans is a lot of points, they will help your army get `stuck in'.

Guard are amoung the tougher armies for Orks to play, no doubt. *

Flanking them is one of the keys to routing them.

Good Luck!!

Best,
Old 04 Jul 2005, 00:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Haw,haw. I knew I had chosen a good army. Good Guardies.
Closed Thread