Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Do we have an Ork V Tyranid Tactia?
Old 26 Oct 2009, 09:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Do we have an Ork V Tyranid Tactia?

Hey all, I was fighting Tyranid for the first time the other day with my SM army but as I was playing I thought to myself if I was using my Orks I dont think I would of stude a chance. Is there a Tactia for dealing with them?
Old 26 Oct 2009, 10:46   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Do we have an Ork V Tyranid Tactia?

I'm afraid I don't know too much about dealing with Tyranids - it's been years since I've even seen them on the table top!!

All that I could advise would be dealing with the two main types - Swarm and monsters.

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2009, 13:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I play both armies. As an Ork player, your mightiest weapon against "da Bugeyes" monstrous creatures is the Power Klaw. You should have one in every nook and cranny of your army. A big mob of 30 boyz (with one of them being a Power Klaw armed Nob) should take down even the toughest Carnie in two or three turns. A Hive Tyrant with three Tyrant Guard is a different matter. The mob will need help on that one.

Look out for Genestealers with Scuttlers outflanking you. This is one of the more effective bug tricks you'll see. A unit like this will tear right through any Lobba Ork units or Grot Bomb Launchas placed to close to one side or the other of the backboard.

Swarm armies are actually a little tougher for Ork Hoard armies to deal with than the typical NidZilla army. Ripper swarms can be nasty. Torch them with Burnas.

Old 26 Oct 2009, 17:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't tend to have a problem with the monsters and most of the 'nid horde (10 nobz with PK's and big choppas go far), its the 'stealers I find a problem. A solution to that is lootas. With their high rate of fire, they can penetrate any genestealer's armour and provide enough fire power to scythe down the broodlord.

I reccomend putting your lootas in cover in the center of your deployment area, as 'stealers with scuttlers or a broodlord can move in from the sides, fleet and assault. (the broodlord's unit misses fleet though, but gains outflank/scouts for free)

Hope that helped,

scar.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 17:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for the handy advice, I just got to make sure if I use my lootas to not put them in area tarrain if I can. Dont want any Lictors poping up lol
Old 26 Oct 2009, 19:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaghsteve
Thanks for the handy advice, I just got to make sure if I use my lootas to not put them in area tarrain if I can. Dont want any Lictors poping up lol
On a separate note, lictors aren't all that great. if they assault a unit of basic eldar guardians, the lictor, an average will kill about 1.1 guardians. Then, on average, the guardians will have a 50/50 (-ish) change of killing the lctor back. Not great.

However, that could change in the new 'nid codex.

Also, you may want to try a shokk attack gun with your lootas for extra warrior/'stealer/swarm killing fun.

scar.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 02:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Burnas in a looted wagon, or skorcha buggies are great for roasting nids, especially genestealers. The Orks don't have any good units for taking them down in hand to hand, so shoot the crap out of them.

If he's running a swarm list, take out the synapse creatures and force the small ones to flee.

Always be mindful of any units near area terrain, as lictors can distract a unit just enough to get some other unit bye their line of sight unmolested.

Tankbustas work very well against the monstrous creatures, since the nids don't have tanks and the glory hog rule doesn't come into effect. Tankhammers are very good at putting wounds on fexes and tyrants.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2009, 10:05   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

One unit that has caught my eye recently is shoota boyz in battle wagons. If I was going to be facing an army of tyranids, and the innevitable outflanking genestealers then this is what would be number one on my list:

20 Orks: 17 Orks with shootas, 2 Orks with big shootas, 1 Ork Nob with power klaw, boss pole and slugga = 170

Battle Wagon: 4 big shootas, armour plates and red paint job = 135 points.

Stick it in the centre of your deployment zone where it has good line of sight to pretty much anything that will be out flanking, drive up to an out flanking unit of genestealers and shoot the crap out of it.

Or, alternatively, if Outflanking genestealers are going to be a problem, stick two lots of 20 grots on your flanks as you march up. Keep them within 1" of the edges of the table in a nice long line and watch as the genestealers have to come on in their own table edge, effectively.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2009, 14:03   #9 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
20 Orks: 17 Orks with shootas, 2 Orks with big shootas, 1 Ork Nob with power klaw, boss pole and slugga = 170

Don't forget (as of the last Ork FAQ) it is legal to build Shoota Nobs with a PK, Boss pole and Big Shoota.

That would give you 7 total big shootas in that build.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2009, 14:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK

Don't forget (as of the last Ork FAQ) it is legal to build Shoota Nobs with a PK, Boss pole and Big Shoota.

That would give you 7 total big shootas in that build.
That's not correct, as you're allowed a maximum of 2 big shootas for 20 boyz. If you shift it to your Nob, you'll lose one for the normal boys