Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shooty Orks on campaign
Old 01 Sep 2009, 14:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Shooty Orks on campaign

Finished a 6 game campaign with Footy Ork type list in our club. Played SM x 2, CSM, Eldar, Speed Freeks and IG. It was:

HQ - Warboss, Evvy Armour, PK, Combi Flama/Shoota

Elites - 2 x 5 Loots with Deffguns

Troops
- 2 x Slugga Skwods - 1 Nob (armed as per Warboss) plus 19 Orks, 2 with Big Shootas
- 1 x Shoota Skwod as above but with 2 Rokkits
- 1 Shoota Skwod as above but with 11 Orks and 1 Rokkit

Fast Attack
- 3 Trakks with Big Shootas
- 2 DeffCoptas, 2L Rokkits
- 1 DeffCopta, 2L Rokkit

Heavies
- 2 Looted Waggons w/Boomguns, 'Ard Case, Big Shoota
- Battlewaggon, 2 Rokkits, 2 Big Shootas, Kannon. The Warboss and 12 Shoota Orks usuallty rode in this.

Army finished towarsd top of "middle 3rd" of table. Not a bad result for an occasiona;l player with a new ruleset, new codex and new list I thought. Thanks to members of this list who helped me put the outfit together last year soon after Codex came out.

Some general observations, before specifics:

- This is a great "hard to lose with" list - time and again my bacon was saved by its combination of sheer numbers and (for Orks) huge firepower.
- However, it was a bit off-structured for some of 40k5 rule oddities and points sciring in games. Too few hard-to-kill scoring units, too often hurt by squadron rules.

Specific:

Warboss & Nobs - PK useful againts a range of enemies, Evy Armour saved them a few times, Flama a nice weapon for the charge. Good price/performance

Lootas - awesome units - 2 units allowed selection of targets, throwing a 3 shot dice every so often was the bow on the show.

Troops - worked well on foot most of the time, the plan of (literally) running the Orks sans vehicles worked well in most cases, only the IG with its huge amount of pie-plates and Ork killing flashlights significantly discomfited it. I needed a full size 4th unit. The split of Slugga/Shoota types was a choice of my indecision, I'm glad I had some Sluggas though, they are formidable in the Waagh.

Fast Attack

- The Trakks were very useful in every game. you had to pick their target and keep them at long range (outside of 24") as then there were too many weapons that could hurt them.

- The Koptas were good in parts, but seldmom made their points. However they represented my main mobile tankbusting force and drew fire that may otherwise have gone elsewhere, like on the Looted Wagons

Heavies

- The 2 Looted wagons architected major mayhem with those big guns operating at a decent range (the Koptas picked up too much small arms fire with needing to get within 24") and even if the gun was shot off, they were still quite useful with a Big Shoota. Not sure if I'd buy Ard Case again

- Battlewaggon - excelled itself, I always shoved it right up into the opponents face, it delivered huge firepower and then disgorged a Warboos, Orks and a Nob whether in running order or blown up. Whats not to like. Quite often it survived a long while, and rammed a number of smaller vehicles, also went hull to hull with a Land Raider, neutralising it for a few bounds.

Changes:

- Need more Orks in Unit 4, drop one of the DeffKoptas perhaps

- Main "To Do" thing is to protect the army from indirect pie plates, we can deal with most of the direct fire problems (even if it means ramming a Land Raider).

- This army really hurts smaller armies (SM, CSM, Eldar) but the IG handled it very roughly. Fought Speed Freeks to a standstill draw but there were more of us left
Old 01 Sep 2009, 19:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Shooty Orks on campaign

Just to be clear, what are you after with this thread? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the point of the thread, not to sound mean. Do you want help with the list you run to refine it, are you after tactics using the list you have, tips on dealing with specific armies or something else?
Old 01 Sep 2009, 20:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

Looks like a pretty solid list to me, pie plates are always fun - by kannon on the battlewagon do you mean a killkannon or just a regular kannon? I have yet to be impressed by my own deffkoptas and I might just start running my warbuggies w/ rokkits again. I agree more boyz would be a good idea, they are the true meat of an orks army and point for point the best unit we have access to, everything else really just exists to support the boyz. Having elite units is good because while the boyz are very strong for their points cost, they can't bring as much power to a small frontage as other units can. It's also good to have one or two fast units with power klaws, like trukkboyz with a PK nob or warbikers with a PK nob, etc - these types of units really help with tag-team tactics in assaults.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2009, 21:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
Just to be clear, what are you after with this thread? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the point of the thread, not to sound mean. Do you want help with the list you run to refine it, are you after tactics using the list you have, tips on dealing with specific armies or something else?
I thought a summary of my experience may interest other players, feel free to comment on any or all the above points. Thoughts on refinement very welcome especially!
Old 01 Sep 2009, 21:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneroplex
Looks like a pretty solid list to me, pie plates are always fun - by kannon on the battlewagon do you mean a killkannon or just a regular kannon? I have yet to be impressed by my own deffkoptas and I might just start running my warbuggies w/ rokkits again.
Ordinary Kannon. Ditto thoughts re DeffKoptas - nice models, but not sure of their benefit vs trakks for delivering the rokkits
Old 01 Sep 2009, 21:45   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think the benefit of the Koptas is more the higher speed plus Scouts/Outflank and the ability to take a low-strength power klaw. For the rockets alone the Trakk is a better value.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote