Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kangaroo Joe Ork Army on Display at LA Battle Bunker
Old 24 Aug 2009, 23:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Kangaroo Joe Ork Army on Display at LA Battle Bunker

For those of you who may have almost forgotten about this, the Kangaroo Joe Ork army is finally up for sale at the LA Battlebunker in Westminster, California. They will give us a month of display time. Proceeds will go to charity.

The excellent Warhammer 40K and Warhammer Fantasy gaming systems made by Games Workshop have inspired a multitude of websites devoted to the hobby of tabletop war gaming. Among these websites is one known as TauOnline. It is an active online community of those who are interested in this hobby.

This website (among many others) brings together people from all over the World in the online forum that this website hosts. One of the beauties of the internet is its ability to bring together people from all over the world in discussing topics of mutual interest.

One of the people that I had the pleasure of interacting with on the TauOnline forum was Craig Roper. Craig was born in the United Kingdom. He was very active on the portion on the TauOnline forum that was dedicated to 40K Orks. Under the Monikers of Kangaroo Joe, Hat Man (and many others), he added a lively bit of mirth to the proceedings of the forum. He was a character who could quickly switch from serious online discussions about 40K to a lament about the unpleasant drudgery of Welsh lessons. Yn dysgu Cymraeg ydy cellwair?

He was very popular with us at TauOnline. It was a shock to us all when he died on January 2nd of 2007 at the age of twenty. It is my understanding that he died from Lymphoma. The forum community of TauOnline (TO for short), got together to do something in honor of the memory of Craig. We have assembled this 1,000 point Ork 40K army for sale. The proceeds will be donated to the USC/Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center in Los Angeles, California.

This project involved seven members of TO assembling and painting 40K Ork models for this project. It has taken quite a while. I have responsibility for a lot of the delay. But the project is finally finished. I would like to thank the following members for their help in completing this project.

XXX XXXXXXX – Australia - Assembly and painting of two Killa Kanz

XXXX XXXX – Wisconsin, United States – Donation, assembly and painting of the Ork Boyz

XXXX XXXXXX – Pennsylvania, United States – Custom Loota assembly and paint

XXXXXX XXXXX – Norway – Assembly and painting of the Grots

XXXXX XXXXX – Canada – Rokkit Launcha Ork Boyz paint and assembly

Irv Veatch – California, United States – Donation, paint and assembly of Ork Wartrukks and Lobba

XXXXXXX XXXX – Australia – Assembly and paint of the Warboss

My thanks to all of you for your dedication and hard work.

Craig Roper and I never met face to face. But through a keyboard and a monitor we interacted for over two years. Craig was often changing both his online avatar and his moniker. The last moniker he used at TO was Freddie Hope. I can’t be certain, but I somehow feel that he did this to stay positive in his outlook. He was a good man.

USC website: http://uscnorriscancer.usc.edu/about/

TauOnline website: http://forums.tauonline.org/

For anyone interesting in buying this army, please contact me on my cell number of (XXX) XXX-XXXX.

Thank you for your interest in reading this.

Irv Veatch – Chino, California
Old 25 Aug 2009, 01:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: Kangaroo Joe Ork Army on Display at LA Battle Bunker

Congratulations on getting that finishing it up, Iveatch. Here's to hoping to selling for a nice, high price.

Best of luck,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2009, 01:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hope it goes well, it's certainly for a good cause.

I kind of wish we had more people on TO so we can spread the word to other sites or news.

Everyone who participated in this, kudos to you.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2009, 06:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

Wow it's been over two years? I missed that guy, I almost forgot about the donation army it's been a while since we heard anything about it. Congratulations on finishing it, a very noble cause if you ask me!

Are there any links to pics or anything we could see of the army?
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2009, 14:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sadly, the jpgs I took last Sunday are all at 129megs or higher. Board post limit is 128. I'll get some new shots later this week at a lower resolution ....
Old 25 Aug 2009, 16:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

How about you just re-size them? I imagine they are that large in file size because they are 2,000+ pixels in width. If you reduce them down to around 800px wide then it's big enough to see and will reduce your file size dramatically. If you don't have Photoshop then you can get Gimp for free or even just use MS Paint for simple resizing.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 16:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Reading this I notice that 'Freddie Hope' is still listed as a moderator for the Ork boards. I have not been here long enough to know Kangaroo Joe, but as he is presumably an inactive member is this not technically a mistake? or is it simply a remembrance of him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriusnassy
Haha ;D I am Bob, the devourer of Souls. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Turning the Power Matrix into some kind of Disco Ball of Death? :P
willwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2009, 17:00   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I was asked which charity he wanted people to donate to, and I have emailed his brother as (I am ashamed to admit) I couldn't remember which it was. If he lets me know I'll post it here, though it looks like you've found a suitable charity already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwills
Reading this I notice that 'Freddie Hope' is still listed as a moderator for the Ork boards. I have not been here long enough to know Kangaroo Joe, but as he is presumably an inactive member is this not technically a mistake? or is it simply a remembrance of him?
It's our way of paying tribute. Like a memorial type thing.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 22:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wish I could have known him, he sounds like he was a cool guy and a great addition to the Ork boards. Even though we rarely ever meet our TO buddies, it sucks when one of them leaves us prematurely. Glad you guys finished the army, and I hope it goes for a lot of money.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2009, 14:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hive Lord

Well done on getting it done, I know this would have meant a lot to him. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos - I saw a lot of the individual photos when they were first completed but it would be good to see them together.
Hive Lord is offline   Reply With Quote