Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which army should orks fear the most?
Old 15 Aug 2009, 08:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex
Default Which army should orks fear the most?

So we all know orks have a very competitive codex these days, and many players have hopped onto the ork bandwagon and come up with all sorts of crazy combinations that our enemies have learned to fear and counter.

What I really want to know is are there any armies still out there that you as an ork player fear in a matchup? I'm not talking a specific list that's geared towards blowing apart infantry if you play horde or shooting down vehicles and nobs if you play mechanized, but rather an army that's capable of fielding a well-rounded all-comers type list that you wouldn't be too hopeful of defeating in a tournament setting. I'm aware of some of the ork kryptonite types out there but I wanna know what you guys think.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2009, 00:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Which army should orks fear the most?

Since today I destroyed a blood angel army at 1000 points, only losing my deffkoptas to me being stupid and assaulting with them rather than using their rockets more, I would have to say any tank heavy guard army. We only have a few units, sometimes just one, per group that could deal with a tank and our ranged weaponry for tank hunting is just bad.
Orks 15 3 2 (Mekboy and weirdboy based force with boyz, deffkoptas and walkers)
Chaos12 2 4 (Infantry based chaos)
juraigamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2009, 02:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Well i have a 1000 point ork army which is an allrounder. Off the top of my head it is something like this

HQ - wierdboy with warphead upgrade
warboss with power claw, bosspole and twin linked shoota

elite - 10 nobs, 5 big choppas, 2 rokkit-shootas and 2 power claws and a painboy with grot orderly and ammo runt

troops - mob of 30 slugga boys led by nob with big choppa and bosspole

mob of 12 shootas including nob with big chopa nd bospole and trukk with grot riggers and skorcha

Fast attack - warbuggy with skorcha

3 deffkoptas with rokkits, 1 with buzz saw too

heavy support - looted dreadnought with 2 twin linked big shootas and 2 close combat weapons

THis army has never failed me. I have not lost with them. Firstly the enemy will not know what to shoot at, and will only kill a little bit of everything, when the orks get within assault range. The wierdboy means i get more waaahs and he can also take out tanks with S10 attacks at range. The nobz have 2 rokkit-shootas just incase a tank comes their way at range. The painboy makes my nobs last twice as long, and this helps the warboss survive when hes with them

The deffkoptas use their turbo boosters before turn 1 (scout rule) so they can claim a 4+ cover save and get close enough to shoot and assault a vehicle in turn 1 (the buzz saw kills vehicles)

The warbuggy and Trukk have skorchas, which pierce most armour (AP4) and hit automatically (good for ork accuracy) and kill on 2s against eldar, guard and tau basic warriors. These rip through ppl who field large amounts of models to try and account for the amount of boyz.

The mob of 30 boyz is often where my warphead joins. It means he is fearless so he always has a psycic power a turn, and can give all the boyz an extra attack for a turn, or even allow a wah or teleport them. If he gives the mob of 30 an extra attack, and they charge that turn each ork gets 5 attacks each. Thats 150 attacks, enough to swamp even tyranid melee combatants.

I know there will be situations where i will lose alot of some things, and i know ppl will reply towards me with corrections and what not - but this army, for me, will make all other armies fear orks, not orks fear armies.

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2009, 04:52   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Ork book as a whole doesn't have any specific tactical weaknesses. This is because the variants it can produce are so different. Most of them rely on numbers and close combat, but there are also builds that rely on fast elite units. Or volume of firepower.

I think Imperial Guard are probably the best army against Orks. You have enough cheap units to stall theirs, and you can take a wide range of template weapons to thin mobs. Many of these ignore cover saves and have good AP. You also have access to the Psychic Battle Choir, which is fairly good at helping to break Nob (and Nob Biker) units once you have trimmed them down to a manageable size. You also have enough ranged weaponry to kill Trukks and Battlewagons while they are still far from your lines.

And best of all, IG can fit all of these in in a well-rounded army. Just don't try to use too many tanks. Orks may not be very good at shooting them down, but they can cut through them in close combat extremely quickly.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2009, 13:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would have to say no matter what army Orks play, we still have a great chance of being succesful. All an ork player has to do is make a well rounded all comers list against another all comer list. The problem is that many people will be like, "oh im playing agianst orks, let me drop 3 vindys or osme other ord. Like my friend. I guess its fair, and theres no rules agianst it. Eveen with 3 vindys, i say to myself thats like 60-70 boyz worth.
arsenal1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 19:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

For me, it's gotta be Chaos. They have lash, which we have no defense against, Bezerkers, who eat our boyz for lunch and a variety of other nasty items that generally make it difficult to beat them.

I play a horde style though. I imagine a more mechanized, freaky list wouldn't fear lash as much. They'd probably fear something like Tau a lot more (speedy enough to stay away but shooty enough to blast you while they're doing so).
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 19:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Which army should orks fear the most?
Well i can safely say that the answer is: [spoiler]other Orkz[/spoiler]

This is because Ork armies normally have the same overall strength and tactics (i suppose a speed freak list is a little different but that's another story) so it'll often end up in a stalemate as the 2 forces are both using swathes of Boyz to cut down each other.

My Orkz haven't struggled againts anything in particular but they did have a slight problem againts chaos (well, i'd "voluntered" to team up with a newbie Necron player) where i lost most of my Orkz to shooting (most never even saw combat)
[hr]
There's no real reason for me saying this but: Ork Boyz are better in CC than Chaos termies.
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 01:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneroplex
So we all know orks have a very competitive codex these days, and many players have hopped onto the ork bandwagon and come up with all sorts of crazy combinations that our enemies have learned to fear and counter.

What I really want to know is are there any armies still out there that you as an ork player fear in a matchup? I'm not talking a specific list that's geared towards blowing apart infantry if you play horde or shooting down vehicles and nobs if you play mechanized, but rather an army that's capable of fielding a well-rounded all-comers type list that you wouldn't be too hopeful of defeating in a tournament setting. I'm aware of some of the ork kryptonite types out there but I wanna know what you guys think.
the only army so diverse that it has a counter meta to every imagined meta list ... CHAOS.
FEAR the CHAOS !!!
omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 04:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

It's interesting to see what others think. I basically started this thread because Orks are a very powerful army that are hard to beat in the right hands.

As much as I love my orks I just think they're starting to feel boring and I'm trying to think of a new army to try that would be able to go against orks. I also partly own / play against a chaos daemons army that really struggles against my orks, but after playing against my friend's nurgle army I'm starting to think cheap T5 troops are the bane of ork armies - I lose once and the second game was a draw.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 04:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I could imagine mech eldar could cause some issues.... Ork ranged anti-tank is a bit limited compared to CC.... And catching skimmers can be a bit of a pain...
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote