Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Looted Vehicles are essential (READ)
Old 15 Aug 2009, 00:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Looted Vehicles are essential (READ)

Greetings, I am Lord Zambia

Looted Vehicles are the Orks best asset in my opinion. One - they cost 35 points base, so you can have say a looted land raider, with 2 big shootas, and it would carry 12 models, shoot 6 shots, look huge (as land raiders do) and the enemy will focus their firepower on the biggest looted vehicle which only costs 45 points. Whilst they do this, your boyz and nobz will recieve considerably less fire, particularly against guard and tau, because their big tank guns will be firing at the land raider. Get ur nobs with powerclaws or big choppas so they can own any tank they meet.

On the other hand, get a smaller vehicle next to the land raider (such as a rhino) and give it the boomgun upgrade. It is pretty much a krak missile with the large blast and ordanance. Not only does this mean no line of sight needed and pinning, but with strength 8 and AP3, the boomgun will, providing scatter roll is good, kill any hit units on a 2+ (such as huge waves of tyranid genestealers, tau firewarriors or even marine devastator squads) One game against tau my opponent had clumped 3 fire warrior teams together to murder my boyz, so i boomgunned them, getting 11 in total split up over the three squads. They all failed their morale checks and ran off the board. One shot from a base 35 point vehicle had gotten rid of 36 fire warriors (360 points) in one shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2009, 08:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex
Default Re: Looted Vehicles are essential (READ)

Well that's all fine and dandy but against a player with half a brain none of those tactics are very useful. A smart opponent will want to know what your vehicles are capable of and ask you and adjust their tactics accordingly. Yes looted wagons are cheap but they're more flimsy than a rhino and don't have the speed of a wartrukk to make up for it. Investing points into them just makes it an easier and juicier target to blow up.

Now I'm not saying looted wagons don't have their uses, and I'm not trying to discourage anybody from using them, but I am disagreeing with you that they're "essential." My personal preference are battlewagons, they look beasty and have the stats to back it up.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2009, 09:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ork looted wagons are hardly essential.
Yes, they can occasionally be a decent diversionary tactic, but that should by no means be their main use. their real strength lies in hiding behind something (buildings, woods, anything the enemy can't really see them and firing 3 pie plates per turn. essentially, i see them as whirlwinds (guess which mine were looted from) only for Orks.
There is a Tactica that discusses this in more detail
Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriusnassy
Haha ;D I am Bob, the devourer of Souls. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Turning the Power Matrix into some kind of Disco Ball of Death? :P
willwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2009, 12:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Am running a boomwagon myself, I think used in the right way and in the right game they are very useful. Just keep it hiden as best u can get the use out of it before it goes BOOM! its self.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 00:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

There is one huge problem here:
Boomguns are not barrage weapons. This means they cannot fire from behind terrain like an earthshaker/whirlwind. They have to fire with LOS, like a battlecannon or any other normal gun.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2009, 03:25   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

There's one and only one essential thing that the Orks can't do without; Close Combat.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2009, 20:03   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
There's one and only one essential thing that the Orks can't do without; Close Combat.
that aint essentially true now is it lets face it the only thing orks cant do is be elite (well they can but it defy's the point) orks can quite easily be used as a dakka army you just get smoe shoota boys isntead of sluggas, lotsa lootas and a big mek w/ SAG orks can easily out fire any army (maybe par imperial guard)
Old 22 Aug 2009, 21:17   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Quote:
that aint essentially true now is it lets face it the only thing orks cant do is be elite (well they can but it defy's the point) orks can quite easily be used as a dakka army you just get smoe shoota boys isntead of sluggas, lotsa lootas and a big mek w/ SAG orks can easily out fire any army (maybe par imperial guard)
Oh shit! How come I didn't think of that? :

Yeah, you can make a very shooty Ork Army List but the fact remains; that Orks are still superior is Close Combat and you will want to get into Close Combat every chance you get. You want to get into close combat to prevent your target from shooting back, getting shot at by something bigger e.g. Leman Russ and you can destroy a unit through sweeping advance.
Old 23 Aug 2009, 02:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Quote:
Oh shtlk! How come I didn't think of that? :

Yeah, you can make a very shooty Ork Army List but the fact remains; that Orks are still superior is Close Combat and you will want to get into Close Combat every chance you get. You want to get into close combat to prevent your target from shooting back, getting shot at by something bigger e.g. Leman Russ and you can destroy a unit through sweeping advance.
MM shooty orks. I ran 45 lootas once. Its nasty
arsenal1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2009, 02:56   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

So how do you deal with Land Raiders and Leman Russes? What are your other units?