Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What tactic / unit to use against 1 or 2 landraiders?
Old 10 Aug 2009, 19:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default What tactic / unit to use against 1 or 2 landraiders?

Hi guys,

I play mostly against a chaos army. At the moment i play with Tau.

In the near future i'm going to start an ork army to experrience a side of warhammer i haven't experienced ... cc ... succesfully i mean

I would like to know wich unit(s) / tactic is good in dealing with 1 or 2 landraiders.

Thanks in advance!
pink-weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2009, 19:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: What tactic / unit to use against 1 or 2 landraiders?

There are tons of options but few are reliable, Ork shooting being what it is. The most reliable methods involve getting into CC with his armor and landing PKs (power klaws). Tankbustas using tankhammers are great here too, plus tankbusta bombz. Of course, the trick is getting into range to assault the Land Raider. He's not going to drive and park in front of some PKs to make your life easy. A unit of Nob Bikerz with some PKs could help you close that distance.

On the shooting side of things you have artillery like Zzap guns (the 2d6 strength is unreliable but you automatically shake it if you hit), and Kannons. A Big Mek with a SAG (shokk attack gun), is another variable strength weapon with potential. For the most part though, it comes down to volume of fire. Rokkits are S8, so slim chance, but it's the highest strength ranged weapon we have that's not a variable strength. A full unit of Deffkoptas with twin-linked rokkits are handy, Tankbustas wouldn't be a bad idea if he's putting down 2 Land Raiders either. A Wierdboy has a chance too if he gets a Zzap roll.

So yeah, those are just some options, there's plenty more. It really comes down to making sure you have redundancy in your list, don't rely on a single unit to get the job done. What we lack in ballistic skill we make up for in shear volume of fire.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 23:18   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

A favourite method of mine for tackling a landraider is to simply smack it with a few rokkit armed buggies.

Just simply let them rove around shooting wildly at it and watch it get immobilised, it's lascannons stripped off and ultimately just a carcass.

Although if you want it really, REALLY dead, just take 3 nobz with power klaws in a trukk and go tank hunting, orky style.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2009, 02:45   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Power Klaws solve every kind of problem. I run my Nob Bikers up to the Land Raider and just smack it [with Power Klaws. About 5 of them; one of them from a Warboss] into wreckage for my Mekz to loot it later. Usually works.

Summary; get Nobz and load them up with Power Klawz.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2009, 02:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to F3AR

Warboss with glance on a 4 and pen on a 5+ if he hits, With his railgun arm. >
Deathwing: 9-5-3
F3AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2009, 03:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

My tactics for land raiders are to ignore them and find squishier targets. I find them to be more of a nuisance more than anything, although being on the receiving end of anti-troops variants is pretty scary.

But anyways since it's so difficult for orks to actually destroy them I really don't suggest taking them on unless the opponent is dumb and parks them right in front of your power klaws.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2009, 14:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Power Klaws solve every kind of problem. I run my Nob Bikers up to the Land Raider and just smack it [with Power Klaws. About 5 of them; one of them from a Warboss] into wreckage for my Mekz to loot it later. Usually works.

Concur with Zenai. Fists are the way to go. However, I'll add that Meganobz are cheaper than regular nobz with klaws.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2009, 14:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droofus
Quote:

Concur with Zenai. Fists are the way to go. However, I'll add that Meganobz are cheaper than regular nobz with klaws.
True, but only by 5 points. Granted, you get a nice armor save but you also give up a lot in the way of mobility. I love Meganobz but I just don't rely on them for assaulting tanks.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 14:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droofus
Quote:

True, but only by 5 points. Granted, you get a nice armor save but you also give up a lot in the way of mobility. I love Meganobz but I just don't rely on them for assaulting tanks.
Yeah, S&P can be a bitch. No doubt about it.

Still, to catch those tanks you usually need to be in a Wagon (or a trukk if you're strapped for points) anyway, so I don't think mobility should be an issue.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2009, 16:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneroplex
My tactics for land raiders are to ignore them and find squishier targets. I find them to be more of a nuisance more than anything, although being on the receiving end of anti-troops variants is pretty scary.

But anyways since it's so difficult for orks to actually destroy them I really don't suggest taking them on unless the opponent is dumb and parks them right in front of your power klaws.
I agree with this. My general philosophy is that if someone puts down a unit/vehicle/whatever that is outright deadly or hard to remove, and/or is banking his strategy around, then I try and dodge it. Someone putting down a Land Raider with Assault Termies in it is usually banking on you pouring obscene amounts of fire power at so he can advance his other units more safely. Same thing with someone fielding Nob Bikers, they want you to shoot at them so the Boyz move up easier. Don't give your enemy what he wants otherwise you're playing right into his hands. You may have to eventually deal with it but don't spend so much effort on it that you give up the field to him and let his other units move unmolested.