Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lootas riding in style
Old 04 Aug 2009, 04:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Lootas riding in style

Hello all I'm new to the forums although I am a hardcore fantasy player and active on other forums(druchii.net,da-warpath,ogrestronghold)
I have recently started an ork army to complement my orc army and my daemons(who are my only 40k army...even though they are on square bases *is embarresed* ) I wanted to do a lootas army with plenty of convverted vechils from both imperials and WWII modeling kits. I just finished my first 2 by combining parts from a truck and a self propelled anti tank gun. They look pretty cool and I'm using them both as trucks. I also have AOBR and a box of lootas/burnas

On to my question:Is it viable rules wise and strategy wise to put a squad of lootas in a battle wagon? I wanted to have sort of a gun platform with 10+ lootas firing from an open topped battle wagon with perhaps a kill cannon and some other additions. When a squad fires from an open topped vechil they can all fire so I thought this would be an interesting way to add some firepower. My other questions are can i put the squads fire on one target and the vechils fire on another? Also if I fire the vechils ordanance(thus preventing the tanks other guns from firing can I then fire the squads guns as they arn't part of the vechil itself or do they count as guns on the battle wagon. Finally would a battle wagon full of lootas and with a kannon and some rockets on it be a good anti tank weapon or is it just overkill?

magicafiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 05:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Lootas riding in style

Looters can ride in transports, however if the transport moved they cannot fire in the same turn, per their weapons being heavy. A good idea is to make the transport a mobile platform, allowing you to move fast into position and provide reasonably better protection for the said orks.
Orks 15 3 2 (Mekboy and weirdboy based force with boyz, deffkoptas and walkers)
Chaos12 2 4 (Infantry based chaos)
juraigamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 07:55   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Really so even though they are in a vechil(since heavy,assault etc doesn't matter for vechils) they can't fire if It moved. Does this also mean that if the tank shoots ordinace they're not affected by that meaning a killcannon totting battlewagon with lootas abord could fire both canon and lootas?(provided it stood still)
Old 04 Aug 2009, 09:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The tank and the unit inside can fire a two seperate targets, and firing ordance has no effect on the lootas.

The tank must be still for the lootas to shoot.

If the tank is shaken or stunned the tank and lootas can't shoot.

If the tank is assaulted the enemy will auto hit on the rear armor, and the lootas will likely loose a few and fail morale and be pinned.

The best anti-tank the orks have are nobs/warbosses with power claws. When we blow up a tank with shooting orks cheer, because it rarely happens.

I think tank bunkers for lootas are a bad idea. Just put them in terrain, and fill the battlewagon with an assault oriented unit and go kill stuff in hand to hand. You could go the other route and put burnas in a battlewagon and do drive by torchings too.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 10:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
I think tank bunkers for lootas are a bad idea. Just put them in terrain, and fill the battlewagon with an assault oriented unit and go kill stuff in hand to hand. You could go the other route and put burnas in a battlewagon and do drive by torchings too.
Or, if you're a truly insane pyromaniac, you take a unit of burnas and place them inside a looted wagon with a skorcha. With that many flame templates, something is gonna get hurt.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2009, 00:26   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ahhh alright thanks guys. I took your advice and made an army list up which i'm posting in lists for your veiwing pleasure.
Old 06 Aug 2009, 02:02   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

From personal experience, Burnas are awesome in Battlewagons. You just place the template once and then multiply by how many are in the unit. Not a lot of infantry units that can survive that.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote