Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Whats the point to orks?
Old 30 Jul 2009, 07:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Whats the point to orks?

Just wondering cause usually when i play 40k i never see ork players, then when one finally enters the tournament he gets 4th place out of 8 people and when i played him with necrons none of them got within assault range and only a few shot but didn't do much (won by wipeout). So just what is it with orks, what are their strengths and weaknesses, do they have good guns or good n cc or something? The whole 6+ save on most units drives some players away but i wanted to know what they are good at. Saw a 2k point game with orks vs space marines and it got me thinking cause the marines were having a hard time and lost. The orks took out a land raider(immobalised and all weapons destroyed) and blew up 2 dreadnaughts and a squad of terminators without a problem.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2009, 08:13   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Whats the point to orks?

I am a little surprised you haven't seen more. With the new book and models their popularity has surged around here.

Orks are obviously a close combat army. Their principle advantage is in fielding ridiculously cheap models in bulk, most of which will get 4 S4, WS4 attacks each on the charge, and Power Klaws are very plentiful. Mob Rule and large unit sizes mean that they are very hard to drive off when taken in bulk. They also have some of the best bikers in the game. If they ever do get into close combat with you, you will find that even an inexpensive 12-boy unit can wipe out a huge chunk of your Warriors in close combat.

They don't have much armor overall, even on expensive units. They rely on quantity instead. This is very true for shooting. Orks have no Melta weaponry, and very little reliable ranged anti-tank capability. They are meant to get stuck in as quickly as possible.

While they are good in close combat, a lot of that comes from Furious Charge. Their Initiative is generally pretty low.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2009, 08:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

They are not a one trick pony though. They can be very nasty, but the person that brushes off their shooting ability will likely end up with a slugga round through the brain. With their cheaper troops, they can field tons and tons of shootas, along with lootas, grotzookan kans, deffkoptas, and boomwagons then just blast you away never having to get too close.

The point of orks for me is the fun they bring to the table and the modelling aspects. Besides Chaos, I don't think there's another army that even comes close with regard to converting posibilities. There really is nothing stopping you from kitbashing, sculpting, or whatever to make any of the units available in the codex. I made almost every solider unit from the basic AOBR boys. They are also very fun to play with. I find myself doing something tactically that's probably not the best idea, but then saying "Ah they're orks, they'd never not charge or lob artillery so close to their buddies."
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2009, 12:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Kanaris and Scoutfox have pretty well summed them up. As Scoutfox is getting at, they really are pretty diverse army; there's just so many units and options. I also feel that they are an army that's easy to learn but hard to master. It's easy enough getting the basics down and realize what they can and can't do. The hard part is getting good at capitalizing on their strengths and minimizing their weaknesses.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 13:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

The main strength of orks: lots of cheap and killy stuff. They are by far most deadly in close combat and have many "tricks" for making it to close combat in the form of fast open-topped transports and large battlewagons or huge masses of infantry carrying assault weaponry and a "Waaagh!" move while being protected with mobile cover saves. They have loads of attacks on the charge and their elite infantry are nobs which have some very effective wargear choices in the form of power klaws and big choppas, these guys can be buried in a huge unit or just taken as a unit of their own - nob bikers are a favorite and are rightly feared. Orks are also capable of laying down a mass of firepower that is devastating against light to medium troops and vehicles, using the theory that if you fire enough shots at BS2 eventually some are going to hit.

The weaknesses of orks: while a well-played orks army can have relatively few weaknesses, there are certain ones that are always present and can be exploited. Orks lose much of their assault edge when they're not the ones charging, and having huge amounts of fearless boyz means that if you beat them badly enough combat they can be forced to remove huge amounts of casualties in a single assault phase. In general ork units are easy to kill, their strength lies in quantity over quality - an ork tide can be stemmed by focus fire and diversion tactics. They also have no reliable shooting attacks for taking on heavy tanks at range like land raiders or monoliths, such things have to be dealt with by assaulting or by getting a lucky shot. It's also worth it to note that orks don't have any "super assault" units that are on the same level as monstrous creatures, the deadliest ork weapon is by far the power klaw and these always strike last, granted nobs and warbosses do have multiple wounds they can still be insta-killed by something that goes before them and is really killy. The only unit we have that's immune to instant death is Ghazghull who is a special character, but again he also strikes last.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2009, 16:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Another aspect to orks in the sheer sight of them being deployed. It's unnerving seeing the enemies deployment zone filled with 200 orks.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2009, 19:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveFleetGoliath
Another aspect to orks in the sheer sight of them being deployed. It's unnerving seeing the enemies deployment zone filled with 200 orks.
The true scare factor is in 1000 point games, your oponent brings to bear 100 boyz (5 mobz with PK Nobz), a Warboss (PK+EA) and a couple of grotzooka kanz. Orkz are surprisingly good at shooting (despite only hitting on 5's) as they get so many shots, eg 15 lootaz can fire up to 45 autocannon shots per turn, 15 hits and 12 wounds on most infantry and elite infantry (2 dead termies, 4 dead marines, everything else is 12 )
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2009, 03:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveFleetGoliath
I personally prefer watching them crap their pants at the site of eleven walkers: 9 kans in heavy support and a pair of deff dreads as troop choices.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2009, 04:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to The_One

Agreed with all that has been said above.

BUT I had a discussion with a local veteran at my store today. We agreed that Orks are meant to be a combat oriented army, that they are meant to get stuck in and stay there or wipe out their enemy. That being said, even with Furious Charge, Orks are still attacking behind Marines (we set Marines as the standard because that's the most common sight). If they are meant to be close combat wouldn't you agree that they should be I3 and then with FC going simul. with Space Marines?

Anyways, Orks are supposed to field lots of cheap units (and heavy hitting at that).
The_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2009, 04:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to HiveFleetGoliath

Orks aren't super speedy quick. They are slow(er) than the average space marine, because their bulky bodies make it slow(er) to maneuver than the vigorously trained space marines. The real strength in Orks is not speed, but number of attacks, and number of models.
Hopefully, my country's customs don't mistake the Genestealer model as being totally made out of cocaine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
At least a 5th one, so you can launch a legal squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
shtlk, I honestly editted instead of posting a reply with a quote. Sorry, Goliath. Trying to figure out these mod abilities.
HiveFleetGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote