Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warbike question
Old 25 Jul 2009, 18:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Warbike question

I was looking to start an Ork army and decided that I would like to do something completely the opposite of what my buddy does. He runs tons of footslogging boyz and some Nobz in a trukk with some kans and Kannon batteries. So I decided to go the route of using all speed in my list but my question is how viable do you think warbikes would be if running them in a list with 2 Trukks and a BW? My idea would be to Turbo Boost 2 squads of 5 warbikers each with a Nob w/PK, 24" and get right up in my opponents face and try to distract him as my other vehicles sped up the battlefield. I'll more than likely try to run my BW next to a trukk with a Big Mek and KFF inside and possibly move my other trukk slightly to one side. So am I completely off-base with this idea that the bikes will give me some relief as I try to make it to the front lines? Thoughts?
stevedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2009, 22:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex
Default Re: Warbike question

Warbikes are a very effective in their own right. As far as fast attack choices go warbikes are fairly durable and very shooty, and with a PK nob they can pack a punch in assault too.

I think a more effective tactic would be to use the warbikes to engage rather than merely distract, if you attack in concert with trukkboys and warbikes the results should be devastating. It depends on the army you're playing against, but powerful gunline armies shouldn't have too much difficulty shooting down a turbo-boosting unit of warbikes unless you put them in cover or out of range and sight of most of their firepower.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2009, 23:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Plan would be to deploy the bikes behind cover, turbo boost up towards the front line ending, hopefully, behind cover or risk it with the +3 cover save from the boost. Then engage the desired unit. As this is happening, my Trukks are booking it across the battlefield arriving just in time to join the Warbikers in CC, or engaging any unengaged units like heavy weapons or the likes there of.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 02:28   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I use a list with 18 Warbikes and 6 Nob Bikers. What I have found is that you are much more vulnerable to Leadership issues when using Warbikes, particularly if you don't take max-size units. I take them with Wazdakka, so they can also be used to boost onto objectives late in the game. Warbikes are effectively better at shooting that Stealth Suits, so don't be afraid to use them to pick off remote units at range.

But Leadership is what will hurt you the most. Warbikes are more durable than almost any other bike unit in the game, on account of the permanent cover save. And they have the best basic ranged weapon. But their Leadership is pretty low, so a few casualties can set them off pretty easily. Make sure to invest in bosspoles.

Biker armies also benefit from using Snikrot. He can come in behind wherever the Warbikes are going, and catch the enemy in a pincer. This keeps the Warbikes from getting bogged down as easily by tying up units that could counter-charge.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 18:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to F3AR

That is a pretty sweet strategy. When I get some Kommandos I will definitely try that.
Deathwing: 9-5-3
F3AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 01:06   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I definitely would like to employ kommandos for exactly the reason you mentioned. Nothing like coming in off the sides right into a soft spot in the other player's army.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 04:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

What Khanaris writes is very true. Leadership breaks will quickly see smaller bike mobz quickly running off the table at high speed. You may want to try a maximum state unit of ten led by a bike mounted Warboss. Don't forget the Painboy. The unit is expensive, but as scary as all #ell.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 04:21   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

To use the painboy I guess I'll need to take Nobz on bikes. That indeed makes the squad scary but pretty darn expensive to boot! The list I'm looking at can support about a 6 Nobz bike squad with Painboy but I'm afraid that might be too small. Do you think I would be better served by taking a 10man squad of normal bikes and running them with a Warboss on a bike? I wouldn't get FNP since the Painboy is missing but it might be more beneficial.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 05:17   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Nob Bikerz are very, very different from regular Warbikerz. Regular Biker mobz are mostly vehicles for getting a single Nob into combat quickly. Nob Bikers can take down almost anything in the game. The differences in terms of hitting power and durability are enormous.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 05:23   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'll slap an army list together and tell me what you think.