Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

painboy with 'eavy armor
Old 20 Jul 2009, 02:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default painboy with 'eavy armor

My list has a Nob Mob joining my warboss with a painboy, and im planning on them all having 'eavy armor instead of cybork bodies. My question is can the painboy have this too? Just not sure how the upgrading works. Im thinking I can buy the 'eavy armor so he is 25 points, and then spend the +30 to make him a painboy, is this correct? Or does he get no upgrades other than just being upgraded to a painboy so he is stuck with his 6+ save? thanks for the help!
skybronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2009, 03:00   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: painboy with 'eavy armor

Since he's upgraded from a regular Nob (including Nob Biker) with no upgrades, he can't get any of the upgrades himself. So, the only thing he can get is a Grot Orderly and Cybork Body.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2009, 09:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I disagree Zenai, all it says is that he replaces his slugga and choppa, he is still a nob but he cannot use the slugga/choppa or any weapon that they would be replaced by which means he could get a bike, stikkbomms, eavy armour, bosspole (there's one on the model), ammo runt (not that he could use one) and evena waaagh banner

The actual wording says that the painboy is a nob but replaces his slugga and choppa with dok's tools and 'urty syringe

I would allow the painboy to get these upgrades as , even on the list of options, they come first so you get 6 nobz (for example), give them all eavy armour and then make one of them a painboy

I would still like to see something official on this but that's how I would play it
Old 23 Jul 2009, 15:53   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Oh god, Painboy =/= Nob. And Nobz come with only 2 things; Slugga and Choppa. When you upgrade a Nob to a Painboy, you replace both wargear with 'Urty Syringe and Dok's Tools. Now, you got nothing to trade for any of the CC-weapons and Range-weapons. Furthermore, only Nobz can take those upgrades. It's plain and simple. This goes with Apothecary and Veterans in a Space Marine Command Squad.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2009, 16:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I do agree with you in a RAW sense, Zenai, but if you look at the precedent set by GW in their Ork FAQ about Nob upgrades for Boyz, I'd say the Painboy is within his right to get 'eavy armor. A Nob for Boyz can get his PK or big choppa before the Boyz are given shootas. In the RAW sense he'd not be able to do this as he'd trade his slugga & choppa first, thus not having it for weapon upgrades, but GW FAQ'd he could get his weapons first. Why should the Painboy be any different? Nob takes 'eavy armor then gets upgraded to a Painboy. He couldn't get the weapons though, as he gives those up in the upgrade, but it's arguable that he can get the 'eavy armor.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 16:09   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Also if you upgrade an 'ard boy to a nob, he has the heavy armor. The way the list looks to me you can buy stuff and at the end upgrade the painboy. He can have a bosspole, bike, eavy armor, and if you bought him extra weapons that would be stupid as it says he trades weapons in for the tools and urty syringe.
skybronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2009, 16:34   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

In the RAW for Orks, a Painboy does not replace a Nob. The wording is different from a normal upgrade. All it states is that one of the Nobs can be a Painboy. You can't give him different weapons, because he needs the base weapons when you upgrade him. But apart from that I see no obstacle.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2009, 17:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with Thor and the others. GW said the shoota nob can get a power claw, and that's the same way a painboy/nob with knowledge of orky medicine could get eavy armor. Personally I wouldn't do it, cause its a waste of points. Make him cybork, and rely on the 5++ FNP saves. I did this last night, saved 35 points on eavy armor, and didn't loose a single wound on my nob squad.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote