Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is this a good anti tank choice?
Old 13 Jul 2009, 22:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Is this a good anti tank choice?

An Ork in Mega Armour with Kombi Shoota-Rokkit Launcher, is this a good anti tank option, also, can he fire his rokkit launcher on the same turn that he moved? Thanks

Also, is he a good anti infantry option?
angrySCORCH62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2009, 23:16   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Boss Hank
Default Re: Is this a good anti tank choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrySCORCH62
An Ork in Mega Armour with Kombi Shoota-Rokkit Launcher, is this a good anti tank option, also, can he fire his rokkit launcher on the same turn that he moved? Thanks

Also, is he a good anti infantry option?
Depends a lot on the tank you're fighting, he might be a good idea against guard tanks but if its Eldar or Tau you're fighting then he's gonna be way too slow to keep up.

main problem is mega armor makes him slow and purposeful, but also with kombi-weps you only get one shot with a rocket, no second chances

For 45 points you could scrap the Nob and put in a Deffkopta with TL-rokkit launcha. That takes care of both problems, the kopta moves 12" AND can fly over stuff, and also if you miss with the rokkit you can re-roll it. With a squadron of these you can stop most tanks, unless you're fighting liths and land raiders, haha

If you're looking for anti-infantry then take the normal koptas, TL-big shootas, 3 shots from each kopta that can reroll misses.

The normal mega armor nob is better for anti-infantry cuz the suit comes with a big shoota, but i wouldn't go tank hunting with him

hope that helps a bit...

~Gasgrakh, Goff Nob
Boss Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2009, 23:43   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

That is a terrible anti-tank choice. Whilst Orks definately don't excel themselves at tackling tanks (they just don't make nice squishy sounds) the idea of single shot, one use only, BS2 weapon is no way to go about taking out a Leman Russ. If you need an explanation as to why this is a bad idea - just keep re-reading until it sinks in.

However, that said - heres some solutions that certainly help. Take two or three and you should have enough to cause some havoc whilst the boyz close in:

Warbuggies: Just take 3 warbuggies, arm them with twin-linked rokkits and launch at your enemy full pelt. Dive down the flanks to gain cover and hit that weaker side armour. You'd be suprised just how effective they are. A) No one seems to bother with a shooty Ork unit and they can usually run around freely whilst the enemy is dealing with more pressing issues (like 90 orks running at him!) and B) 3 twin linked weapons are bound to hit something, even at BS2. I fail to name a game where they didn't make their points back - Predators, immobilising a Land raider, killing an Archon (:P), neutering a Blood angels attack just by blowing up rhinos. Whatever. A trio of buggies is like having a few flies around you, they annoy you but you are far more afraid of the Hornets buzzing around you.

3 Buggies: Rokkit launchas = 105 points. Bargain of the century if you ask me.

Kannons: Yes, another shooty list. But yet again - this unit doesn't seem to get the fire it warrants until it is simply too late. Plonk them into some cover (prefereably in a building) and shell the enemy as the boyz advance. Grots are weak, granted, but they all of a sudden seem so much more tougher when they are lugging around a 4+ cover save. I use them the same way that I use the buggies - just attack anything that moves. Give them a priority list at the start of the game and just nuke it until it stops firing. 3 BS3 strength 8 shots per turn is going to put a serious dent into any armour. Whats more, you can take a few ammo runts for when you absolutely have to kill something. The best part is that your opponent will have to re-deploy a unit or two to take the unit out that would be better off shooting at your Orks. You try wading through a horde of orks just to deal with Grots!

Big Gunz: 3 Kannons, 3 ammo runts = 69 points.

Deffrolla: You are an Ork. Right? You want to be point blank, in your face and dancing with death? Good boy. Now. You know your battlewagon loaded with Nobz? Stick a deffrolla on it and when the Ladz are dropped off the wagon can go running around slamming into the front of vehicles with a S10 hit. Or more... Quite possibly the most Orky way to tackle an enemy tank - attack it with a massive spiked rolling pin. Not only that - but you get two bonuses aswell! 1 - if you play your cards right you can block LOS to the rest of your army whilst it is doing it's thing and 2 - it's AV14 which is definately not something to snuff at. Just think what is going to be side-tracked to tackle it?

I won't tell you how to load it out - but if the vehicle is going to be transporting the Warbosses bodyguard then keep it light so it isn't distracted. A few big shootas or Rokkits, red paint, and a deff rolla should be the template.

Deffkoptas: Like the Warbuggies, except that these ones come on via outflank. 5 Deffkoptas with twin-linked rokkits aimed at the side armour of the enemy? Yeah. Sounds pretty sweet to me too.

5 Deffkoptas:
with rokkits, 1 has buzzsaw = 250 points The most expensive so far, but im sure the amount of shots it will kick out, coupled with it's increased survivability over buggies makes it worth it.

Thats it, just a few suggestions aside from the obvious - lootas and tankbustas.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 12:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

SILK, you mention an Orkish version of JSJ for Deffkoptas.. what is that?

I am using koptas as I have recently started my Ork army from the AoBR box set, and that tactic sounds very interesting if I can manage it.
Sargaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 13:10   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

One small question SILK, how come a Deffkopta with a Buzzsaw will worry a Landraider? On the charge, it will only have 2 strength 7 attacks...
Pesmerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 13:35   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

3 attacks on the charge for all deffkoptas. but your right they wont be hurting Land Raiders in assault.
hardihar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 13:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hi All,
I'm pretty sure that the JSJ option for Jetbikes only applies to Eldar Jetbikes (in the Jetbikes section).
As for anti-tank surprises, I know it's been said before, but the 1st turn Buzzsaw-Deffkopta assault is always a wonderful shock. And yes, Land Raiders will be a bit too much for them to chew off... Anything rear AR13 or less is fair game...
I also personally like Killa Kans with Rokkits, as the Kans are a bit tougher than Buggies, can assault decently well, and have much more LoS blocking ability. They are, of course, slower though.

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 14:15   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesmerga
One small question SILK, how come a Deffkopta with a Buzzsaw will worry a Landraider? On the charge, it will only have 2 strength 7 attacks...
>.<

Seems I got confused with the 2 wounds and thought that they were Nobz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
Hi All,
I'm pretty sure that the JSJ option for Jetbikes only applies to Eldar Jetbikes (in the Jetbikes section).
As for anti-tank surprises, I know it's been said before, but the 1st turn Buzzsaw-Deffkopta assault is always a wonderful shock. And yes, Land Raiders will be a bit too much for them to chew off... Anything rear AR13 or less is fair game...
I also personally like Killa Kans with Rokkits, as the Kans are a bit tougher than Buggies, can assault decently well, and have much more LoS blocking ability. They are, of course, slower though.

Best,
-BT
Yeah... Sorry - it was a late night when I was writing this. Removed that part of the entry.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 14:22   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Do you think a unit of 9 Stormboyz + Zagstruk would be a unit for tank hunting? Since Zagstruk will have 5 Strength 9 Attacks on the charge, since he will also be deepstriking?
Pesmerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2009, 02:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesmerga
Do you think a unit of 9 Stormboyz + Zagstruk would be a unit for tank hunting? Since Zagstruk will have 5 Strength 9 Attacks on the charge, since he will also be deepstriking?
I would say no. The unit is too expensive to be used as a suicide unit, because they will die after killing a tank. Plus you'd have to jump really close to make sure you could charge the tank when deepstriking. That just leaves you open to deepstrike mishaps.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote