Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Where Bosspoles Belong
Old 13 Jul 2009, 17:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Where Bosspoles Belong

I see a lot of army lists being written that have bosspoles where they don't belong, so I wanted to clarify where it does belong. This isn't about if a bosspole is worth having, that debate has been done, this is for if you're using it then there is where it should go.

Bosspoles should not be put on an IC (independent character), generally speaking. Nobz are your first choice for taking a bosspole, be it a mob of Boyz or a Nobz mob. The reason is that an IC (Warboss, Big Mek, etc), are able to attach and detach from a unit. There are times you'll want to detach your Warboss from the Boyz and if the Warboss is the one with the bosspole then your Boyz are left without one. Also, ICs can be singled out in assault. Even if you plan to keep your Warboss with those Boyz the entire game, he can be killed in assault. Nobz are not ICs and so they can't be singled out in assault and can't be picked off in shooting, this makes them the safest place to put a bosspole.

The only time you want a bosspole on an IC is if the unit you plan to join him with has no ability to take one on their own. If you have a Big Mek that you want to attach to Lootas then take a bosspole, they have no other way to get one. If you have Meganobz that your Warboss is joining then that's another great time to put one on an IC.

Lastly, if you have some spare points still don't put a bosspole on an IC, other than the case mentioned above. If all your Nobz are carrying a bosspole then there's no need for an IC to also have one. A bosspole can only be used once for a re-roll, so no need to double up on them.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 20:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Where Bosspoles Belong

Hi Thor,
Silly Bosspole question, but if you have two bosspoles (for some reason you have one on your IC and another in the squad), does that mean you get to re-roll morale twice?
I'm not saying I would ever do it, but it would be nice to know in case it ever came up.

Thanks,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2009, 21:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
Hi Thor,
Silly Bosspole question, but if you have two bosspoles (for some reason you have one on your IC and another in the squad), does that mean you get to re-roll morale twice?
I'm not saying I would ever do it, but it would be nice to know in case it ever came up.
Thanks,
-BT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
Lastly, if you have some spare points still don't put a bosspole on an IC, other than the case mentioned above. If all your Nobz are carrying a bosspole then there's no need for an IC to also have one. A bosspole can only be used once for a re-roll, so no need to double up on them.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 21:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ah, uh, whoops, thanks!

-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote