Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Pinnacle: A good place to be or just anything else is down?
Old 08 Jul 2009, 15:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default The Pinnacle: A good place to be or just anything else is down?

Hi All,
Just a quick comment/question.
It was recently brought up to me in person, and echoed in a BatRep post that it's "boring" to play me because I just "win all the time." Looking back, I've noticed some stasis in my own list. The past near-dozen or so of my fights have been with the same 1850pt list, and it's what I'm comfortable with. Looking at the list again, I've tried to make a few changes, but anything I try makes me want to just go back to the old list.
Then I realized, I'm in the "Pinnacle Rut," my phrase for when you find a list that's so comfortable, you almost want to get married to it. (In hopes it won't change, rather then... Ok, I'm not going to go into that here ) 'Ard Boyz is luckily shaking that up for me, but I was hoping that others might know how to break out of the rut. Others for some reason, keep wanting to face my "dead hard" 1850 list, so it's hard to find people who'd want to play vs a different list.
In short, it's getting a bit shockingly too complacent, and I want to try and spice things up (Along with any personal accounts would be nice, have to try and convince my mates of any dastardly ideas I have). Ideas, please!

Thanks,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 15:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: The Pinnacle: A good place to be or just anything else is down?

Well, if the problem is you're playing the same list over and over...make a new list :P It doesn't have to be a drastic change from what you play now, though that's fun to. There's obviously something about your current list you like, be it the amount of units you field (big or small), the style of the list (fast, sloggers, mek, etc), something about it that you enjoy. So, if you're not into creating a whole different style of list then make a new on that accomplishes what you like about the current list but in a different way. For example, if you liked your list because of all the anti-armor you have then try trading up the Deffkoptas (assuming that was your AV unit), for Tankbustas. How about trading up that big Nobz mob for 30 'ard Boyz with Grotsnik attached? Stuff like that.

I always try out new stuff, I'm one of those people who doesn't play the same list twice. I realize not everyone enjoys making a new list for each game but consider just swapping out a single unit for another unit you've always wanted to try. If your list is that good then changing up a single unit shouldn't make it fall apart and you get the chance to try something new. I've found some interesting unit synergies this way, things you wouldn't expect worked well together did; things I'd have never figured out on paper writing a list.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 15:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hi Thor!
Thanks for the comment, I've really been trying to think up a new theme of my list, as my current list can be described as "Assault with the option to Shoot."
I've gone through shooty lists before that were fun, but really, nothing too much.
I did have a hoot with Tankbusters and a Warphead though.
If I had a choice, I'd love to get a fast Ork list, but I'm having trouble doing it without giving up a LOT of KP (trying to avoid Mass-Trukks).
Stormboyz, Kommandos and Tankbusters are all things I'd love to try, but it's a bit hard to try and find a uniform way to work things out.

Please, keep the ideas coming It's what the internet was made for (besides y'know...; Stopping self before the Avenue Q song kicks into my head...)

Best,
-BT
Old 08 Jul 2009, 15:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Might be just me but with 2 of the 3 missions being objective based, I pay little attention to KP when I setup a list. I don't do silly things like putting 10 Sluggas on foot or something, but also don't go out of my way to make a list light on KPs.

If you want a fast list then you're really going to have some easy KPs, be it Trukks, Buggies/Trakks, a Looted Wagon transport, etc. The trick is to make back the easy points you give away, getting close enough when the transport blows up.

If you want a fast list light on KPs then you're limiting your options to things like Nob Bikers, normal Bikers, large units of Deffkoptas and Stormboyz. Limiting your choices creates boredom and you'll be back here posting another thread like this.

Finding a uniform way of making things work out? You realize we're discussing an Ork army, right? :P Seriously though, with those mentioned units, the Stormboyz either hang back a bit for fast response and support or they follow in the Trukks and other transports. Kommandos do what they do well and outflank to create a pincher move with your fast units. Tankbustas move forward with some tankhammers shielded by your transports for protection and to let you help dodge glory hog, fire off some pot shots and charge into some tanks.
Old 08 Jul 2009, 18:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thor:
Nod, point taken, can't keep thinking inside the box, that is what brought me here and all...
Hmm, just have to try things out again is all.
As for "uniform," I meant something more thematically.
Heavens knows I love all those units to death, but I'm just trying to find a mental hook that'll fit them in.
Right now, though, just talking about it has sparked a great deal of creativity in the brain, and brought me out of the doldrums. (Stop me rolling around in my self-pity circle)

Thanks!
-BT
Old 08 Jul 2009, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use a fast list for my Orks, and I don't tend to give up that many KP's with them, as I use my buggies to screen the trukks so they're not as easy to kill, and I include a large mob of Stormboyz because they're my favorite unit.

With my IG, I generally make new lists all the time. It's just fun to try out new things.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 01:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

USAFTACP:
Hmm, I have been considering Stormboyz, as they're pretty much the only unit I haven't tried yet. (Besides Flash Gits, as I have to be in the proper piratey mood to make such a heinous list...)
I tried buggies a few times but well, open-topped AR10 squadrons have this tendency to evaporate. Still, as a Trukk screen that would be a heck of a lot faster than Battlewagons (my original thought)...
I actually did pick up a copy of the IG codex, what with everyone saying nice things about it and... wow. I'm amazed that the people I play seem to be making the same static gun line/trench type lists with sit-around tanks. I see a Valkyrie or two, but rarely anything that changes things. IG could really be a FAST list with not too much effort... But anyway, thanks for the help! Hmm... pirates...

Best,
-BT
Old 09 Jul 2009, 05:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

BigToof, maybe instead of changing your list, if you are playing someone you know, perhaps play some more campaign, or story based scenarios, instead of the ones in the book.

With some completely different objectives or some random events in a game could really challenge you again to work out how to use your existing list more effectively.

There is not enough variety in the main rulebook to keep things interesting for someone who gets to play games frequently.
I have heard rumours though that GW were soon to release some more scenarios in an expansion pack of some kind, which will help out if its true.

Also, can you get some games of planet strike going where you play?, that might help spice things up again for your army.
Sargaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 10:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've been incredibly surprised with how well my buggy squadrons do as screeners for my trukks. The first turn of shooting usually goes to them, but I've never lost all of them the first turn. By the second turn my trukks are close enough to make them the priority, allowing my buggy(s) so run around the battlefield to block LOS or to try to get behind vehicles and such. They are a cheap way to keep my trukks alive and when they manage to kill things that's a little bonus for me

As for Stormboyz, it took a little while to understand how to use them properly, like never ever ever drop them into area terrain because I roll 1's like mad. With the extra d6 movement they get every turn they are crazy fast and with the Waagh! they have a ridiculous charge range. Of course the new plastic models for them are absolutely badass too.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 12:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

FYI, Stormboyz do not get Waaagh!.