Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tank Bustas vs Commando vs Lootas
View Poll Results: Which awesome green skin monster (not to be racist to any greenies) to buy?
Tank Bustas 3 8.82%
Commandos 7 20.59%
Lootas 21 61.76%
Save up for something better 2 5.88%
I dont know 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04 Jul 2009, 04:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tank Bustas vs Commando vs Lootas

Which should I buy? I am fairly low on budget and cant afford to buy all.
The Tank Bustas, suggested by its name is an Anti-tank unit
Commando, also by its name, a more elite unit compared to boyz
and Lootas supports with Deff Guns
I already a have Deffcopta (Which is my top and main choice for tank wrestling) so that rules out Tank Bustas. Lootas are also Anti Tanks I think as they got high Strengths so that rules out Lootas so I'm guessing Commandos? Let me know what you think.

LotR Armies:
Misty Mountains (50%), White Hand of Sarumuan (60%), The Fellowship of the Ring (75%)
Spare LotR units: Haradrims of the South (95%), High Elves of the Last Alliance (95%)
Orkish_Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jul 2009, 12:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tank Bustas vs Commando vs Lootas

Well from what I've heard, tankbustas can be a little bit of a let-down and other units can do the same job better (e.g. rokkit-koptas/buggies)
Kommandos, although OK on the battlefield, are easy to convert from a much cheaper boyz kit
Overall, Lootas seem to be your best bet here, the ability to let out vast amounts of dakka from a decent range means that there isn't really much else you can use to do that job and of course you get spare parts to convert some boyz into burnas
Old 04 Jul 2009, 20:08   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks. I'll give a thought when u buy

LotR Armies:
Misty Mountains (50%), White Hand of Sarumuan (60%), The Fellowship of the Ring (75%)
Spare LotR units: Haradrims of the South (95%), High Elves of the Last Alliance (95%)
Old 04 Jul 2009, 22:55   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

With Kommandoz what you need is Snikkrot and a good amount of boyz too, plus a burna or two if you have the points. Combine it with a foot slogging army and use them to create a pincer movement - the Kommandos pin the shootiest enemy unit down, whilst the rest of the army advances with a serious lack of ant-personel heavy weaponry gunning for them.

Loota boyz are just mean. Get a few and you'll be causing serious harm on anything that is within thier range - 30 strength 7 shots his good enough to keep any unit hiding, power armour or not.

Although If you're going for elites - Burna boyz would be my choice by miles. Nothing says "KRUMP!" like 12 boys with power weapons jumping out of a trukk (read the rules on transports). They'll slice through any unit you want with them. Have the main part of the army pin down the main portions of the army, whilst the burna boyz simply slice open the elite unit of the enemy. Terminators, pariahs, battlesuits all fair game. Hell, they even come with flamers if you fancy toasting mass units. Bargain! Whats more - they are cheap to make - simply buy a box of regular boys, hunt around for flamer nozzles (or even just drill a load of holes into some rod) and voila - a bit of converting tom foolery later (don't forget abotu backpacks and the like) and you have a bargain Burna boyz mob!
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2009, 21:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would like to point out the Kommandos should not be thought of as "elite" compared to boyz. They have the same stats, ergo they are just as squishy, and get no additional benefits in CC or for shooting outside of access to burnas. Snikrot is good but expensive.

A single Deffkopta isn't enough for your tankbusting needs. Lootas are great for popping light vehicles at long range, while the best solution for heavy vehicles is a good 'ole power klaw.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2009, 21:42   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It turned out I'll be purchasing a couple of Kommandoz since I realised I had the ability to convert boyz into lootaz and that Tank Bustas werent much of a help.

LotR Armies:
Old 08 Jul 2009, 04:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Tankbustaz can be disgustingly good if they're put into a good situation. Unfortunately, the enemy can lead them around by the nose quite easily, and it's entirely possible they'll be worthless the entire game.

Kommandos are... Meh, at best. Snikrot is absurdly expensive, and 3 points per model over comparable boyz doesn't really seem like an efficient waste of points to me. I like putting my faith in something less reliable but more fun, like a Trukk.

Lootas on the other hand are an excellent use of points pretty much all the time. They have the potential to be absolutely devastating, they can pop light tanks with ease and they rip through anything not in power armour or better. Maybe Lootas can be easily converted (though so can Kommandos), but it's much more worth it to have the extra lootas. I doubt Kommandos are going to give you any success unless your opponent doesn't know you even took them and you've got Snikrot with them.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 14:57   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Whoever looks down on Snikrot, or any Kommando for that matter, will find a blade buried in their spines. But on a more serious tone, Kommandoz have risks so as any other units. Trukk Boyz may find their wagon blown up before it turns on it engines. Foot-Slogging Boyz will find their numbers dwindle by the time they reach the enemy.

I'm also very iffy about Tankbustaz but for Lootaz and Kommandoz, it's a whole other story. I find Lootaz very useful especially against Skimmers and Infantry. But they're stationary unit and that doesn't sit well with me if the rest of the Boyz are charging ahead. Kommandoz; I can live with as they're going for the enemy too. One thing Kommandoz have over Lootaz is the element of surprise. Doesn't matter if Snikrot is involve or not (but it does help), you keep your enemy on his toes so he will either deploy right in the center or entirely in one flank. Furthermore, Kommandoz can sabotage hidden artillery units such as Manticores, Deathstrikes and Ordnance Batteries.

But converting-wise, Kommandoz are easier to make. Just need to paint on some camo. But if you ask me, I try to get the 2 units.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2009, 22:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Lootas are good for putting down a heavy static firebase while the rest of your army fights in the middle of the table and towards the opponent's deployment zone. I picked up the idea from my Tau - having a very strong fire support unit can help act as an anchor allowing you to split your own army into several pieces and thus allowing you to choose specific engagements. Perhaps what I've written is not clear though.

With a mechanized Tau army, it often behooves a player to split into multiple battle units, essentially a few squads/vehicles acting as a single unit meant to accomplish a specific task. If you use them wisely, you can force your opponent to essentially fight two separate battles as he has to break his army into multiple pieces to fight your battle units. A powerful anchor (for Tau things like Fire Warriors and Broadsides, Lootas for Orks) allows you to support either battle unit effectively, which gives you a distinct advantage over an opponent without an anchor. For Orks, the Battle Unit concept is easily done with a Speed Freeks style list, as all it takes is a pair of Big Meks with KFF and Battlewagons for them to ride in. Throw in some Trukks to be shielded with the KFF and maybe some Bikes, and throw down the Lootas as a heavy static support element.

It can use some refining, but with some thought and tact it is a very solid tactic to build army lists around.

By the way, the 85 points for Grotsnik is not justifiable if the opponent knows he's coming. He's been used effectively against me only once, when I didn't know he was in the list. After that, he's failed to do anything. All it takes is a movement phase or two and you're out of his charge range, after all. Sometimes that'll screw you up, sometimes it won't, but I certainly don't feel he's worth it.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 00:48   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

The reason to take Snikkers is to force the enemy to move away from the table edges - the further away they are from the table edge, the closer they are to your charge.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote