Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is an all Nob army viable?
Old 27 Jun 2009, 13:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Is an all Nob army viable?

Since Nobs can be troops, do you think all Nobs can work out? Of course there's the Nob Bikers of death, but what about them in transports or as Meganobz? I imagine a list with Battlewagons of Nobs or Meganobz in Battlewagons, with a Biker mob or two, would be pretty brutal. Even with their lack of numbers, I still think it could be worth it.

Anybody try it?
eternaldream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2009, 13:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Is an all Nob army viable?

This is something Zenai could really help you with but i'll give you my advice:
DON'T play an all Nobz army because you will only have 2 troops choices and hence you'll have a hard time capturing objectives. If you had two squads of 30 Boyz as your two troops then adding lots of Nobz would still be viable because you still had some bullet-absorbing boyz and a couple of brilliant objective-capturing units.

Hope i've been of help, CS
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2009, 13:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Objective capturing isn't a problem if you simply table the opponent.

All Nob armies are viable running on that philosophy. It only works at high point levels, but I would estimate a tooled up Nob squad can kill any non-elite unit in a single game turn at its slowest. That's enough to cut through most armies before the end.

Your best option, though, is to let Zenai talk about it for a while.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2009, 16:30   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Nobz Foot-Sloggers and Meganobz as a basis of your all Nob Army? Can do. Of course, you have to give them Transport and I would suggest the might 'ard Battlewagon as the transport of choice since there will be 2 main priority targets (2 transports laden with Nobz). 9 Nobz or Meganobz accompanied by a Warboss is the usual the norm (though you're free to have 11 Nobz and a Warboss to get that Fearless from your Mob Rule but personally, I like round numbers and also, your Battlewagon can only fit 10 Mega Armored-models (1 Mega Armored Warboss and 9 Meganobz)). Outfit your Battlewagon to be Ramming-orientated e.g. Deff Rolla (steam roll everything in your path as well as re-roll Dangerous Terrain Test), 4 Big Shootas (to shrug off the Weapon Destroyed result), Grot Riggers (repair your immobilized Battlewagon), Armor Plate (Ignore Crew Shaken; you need to keep moving) and so on and so forth.

And I wouldn't worry about objectives. Go kill off your opponent's Scoring units and maybe everything else in the way. Don't, and I repeat, don't try to protect your objective. Orks are all about going forward and charging their enemies. Maybe try to deploy your objective closer to your opponent so it's on the way when you charge forward. Anyway, you want to kill every threat on the table that can contest the Nobz for the objective. Kill for 3-4 turns before legging it to the objective but truth to be told, my experience is that going after your opponent's objective (especially in Capture and Control) is also a way to win since he's too busy halting your Nobz and can't spare the resources to get a Scoring unit all the way to the other side to capture your objective. So, at least you get a draw.

Nobz are a much safer choice as they have an Invulnerable Save to protect them from power weapons. Meganobz doesn't this luxury but makes up for it by having "Terminator" Armor. You can do well against Necrons who lack AP1/2 weapons to kill your Meganobz. Even with the Monolith.

In 1500-Points, you might find yourself with just 2 HQs, 2 Troops and 2 Heavy Supports. But more than that, you got the points to but the extra stuff like an extra Battlewagon or a Kommando mob and so on and so forth.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2009, 16:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Just to add one thing to Zen's post (since he ninja'd me), be sure to equip your Nobz with different equipment. This drastically increases the longevity of the squad because you can spread around the wounds.

I personally don't see the value of Mega Armored Nobz when you can get Eavy Armor Nobz with Feel No Pain and unique wargear set ups. Yeah, sure, the Power Klaw is a deal on Mega Nobz...but, really, you're taking a hit on the Saves side. Power weapons and AP1-2 weapons will eat up Mega Nobz wheras Eavy Armored Nobz will still get a roughly 3+ save (5+/4+) against AP3-4 weapons (which are arguably more common). I'm not certain that made sense. :P

Anyway, here's an army you might want to think about:

2 x Warbosses (125 points each) with Mega Armor, Cybork Bodies, Attack Squigs.
2 x Nob Squads (463 points each) with:
  • Painboy with Eavy Armor, Cybork Body, Grot Orderly.
  • Nob with Power Klaw, Eavy Armor, Cybork Body, Waaagh! Banna.
  • Nob with Power Klaw, Eavy Armor, Cybork Body, Bosspole.
  • Nob with Power Klaw, Eavy Armor, Cybork Body.
  • Nob with Uge Choppa, Eavy Armor, Cybork Body, Shoota/Skorcha.
  • Nob with Uge Choppa, Eavy Armor, Cybork Body, Shoota/Rokkit.
  • Nob with Uge Choppa, Eavy Armor, Cybork Body.
  • Nob with Choppa, Slugga, Eavy Armor, Cybork Body, Bosspole.
  • Nob with Choppa, Slugga, Eavy Armor, Cybork Body, Ammo Runt.
  • Nob with Choppa, Slugga, Eavy Armor, Cybork Body.
2 Battlewagons (160 points each) with Red Paint Job, Grot Riggers, Armor Plates, Deffrolla, 3 Rokkits.

That comes to (if my maths are right) 1496 points. It's an army I certainly wouldn't want to go up against.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2009, 17:10   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Emlyn, I find that setup inefficient. I would recommend:

Warboss (120 Points)
1 Warboss equipped with Power Klaw, Shoota, Attack Squig, Cybork Body, Bosspole and 'Eavy Armor

Nobz (415 Points)
1 Nob equipped with Power Klaw, Twin-Linked Shoota, 'Eavy Armor and Cybork Body
1 Nob equipped with Power Klaw, Slugga, 'Eavy Armor , Waaagh! Banner and Cybork Body
1 Nob equipped with Power Klaw, Shoota/Skorcha Kombi-Weapon, 'Eavy Armor and Cybork Body
1 Nob equipped with Power Klaw, Slugga, 'Eavy Armor and Cybork Body
1 Nob equipped with Big Choppa, Twin-Linked Shoota, 'Eavy Armor and Cybork Body
1 Nob equipped with Big Choppa, Shoota/Rokkit Kombi-Weapon, 'Eavy Armor and Cybork Body
1 Nob equipped with Big Choppa, Shoota/Skorcha Kombi-Weapon, 'Eavy Armor and Cybork Body
1 Nob equipped with Big Choppa, Slugga, 'Eavy Armor and Cybork Body
1 Painboy equipped with Dok's Tools, 'Urty Syringe and Cybork Body

Battlewagon (165 Points)
1 Battlewagon equipped with Deff Rolla, Red Paint Job, Grot Riggers, Stikkbomb Chukka, Armor Plates, Kannon and 4 Big Shootas

[hr]

Times 2 of each and it just costs 1400-Points.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 17:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Different experiences, I suppose. I've found that having those I4 attacks on the charge are important and that the S7 attacks aren't a whole lot more effiecient than the S5 attacks on the charge. So I prefer to have a few Slugga/Choppa Nobz to bulk up my early strikes as a Power Fist Sergeant on your Warboss can hurt. My 3 set up kicking out 15 S5 attacks + 12 S7 attacks + 4 Poisoned attacks at I4. Your set up kicks out only 16 S7 + 4 Poisoned attacks at I4. I've also found that my "critical mass" of Power Klaws is about 4 for the unit (including warboss). If something won't die with 15+ Power Klaw attacks...you probably shouldn't be charging it. :P

Oh, and for the record, I run your Warboss set up as I find it's better. But if I were going to put all my spores in one basket, I think I'd prefer Mega Armor.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2009, 17:31   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Problem with Mega Armor is the Slow and Purposeful USR. Anyway, 'Eavy Armored Warboss fits better with 'Eavy Armored Nobz. Mega Armored Warboss with Mega Armored Nobz. Warboss Biker with Nob Bikerz.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 17:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm pretty sure the normal nobz don't get the FNP save when dealing with power weapons. Certainly a 5+ is better then a no plus, but is it worth not getting the mega nobz?
Warboss Vandersnag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2009, 17:46   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warboss Vandersnag
I'm pretty sure the normal nobz don't get the FNP save when dealing with power weapons. Certainly a 5+ is better then a no plus, but is it worth not getting the mega nobz?
Sure. They're still have 2 Wounds so it takes a Power Fist to take them outright. But if you're so worried about them being vulnerable to Power weapons, Mad Dok Grotsnik can give the Meganobz Cybork Bodies as well as FNP. Not good for an all Nob army but good enough for a more Horde~ish Ork Army.