Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My speed-mek army
Old 17 Jun 2009, 03:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default My speed-mek army

I really want to try and run a speed-mek army, but I'm not quite sure how to make one. I've been thinking through things I want to do, but I'm not sure how well that would actually work in this type of army. This is what I have so far(for a 1500pt army).
HQ- Warboss: w/ Power Klaw, tl shoota, 'eavy armor 95pts
Big Mek: w/ KFF 85pts
Elites- Nobz x 10: including Painboy, all Nobz w/ Big Choppa 275pts
Troops- Ork Boyz x 12: including Nob w/ big choppa, 1 boy
w/ big shoota 92pts
Trukk: w/ red paint job, armor plates, boarding plank,
wreckin' ball 65pts
Ork Boyz x 12: including Nob w/ big choppa, 1 boy
w/ big shoota 92pts
wreckin' ball 65pts
Ork Boyz x 12: including Nob w/ big choppa, 1 boy
w/ big shoota 92pts
wreckin' ball 65pts
Fast Attack- Warbuggie sqaudron(3): 1 upgrade to skorcha, all
w/ red paint job 115pts
Warbikers x 6: including Nob w/ PK 185pts
Heavy Support- Killa Kans x 3: all w/ Grotzooka 135pts
Looted Wagon: w/ skorcha, 2 big shootas, red paint
job, armor plates, reinforced ram 80pts
1441pts

This is just what I'm basically thinking and I still have x-tra points that I need to do stuff with, but I know there are gunna be a ton of flaws with this design. I need to know what I should add to make it work and what I should change. Also, I already have 6 kommandos, 5 lootas, 3 deffkoptas and 10 shoota boyz and I would like to know If I could add them into this speed-mek(shooty) army and make it work(I would probably have to add more models to these units but that's ok). I threw in the looted wagon because I have one made and I thought I could use it to transport my nobz and warboss. I was wondering if I should instead, take out some units and give my looted wagon a boomgun and have a battlewagon for transport instead. I also would kind of want biker Nobz but I have no room.

So, essentially, I wanna know how to make a speed-mek army work. My list doesn't really matter. It was just my thoughts on the matter.
zeldafan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2009, 03:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: My speed-mek army

You've got the right idea with the list. I'd put the Nobz into a Battlewagon for sure. It's a pricey unit and an AV11 transport is not going to protect them. That means the Looted Wagon can become a Boomwagon, as you mentioned.

I do have some advice for the wargear on units but that's more for the list review area and not so much what you're after here it looks like.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 18:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I know you are probably basing some of this on the codex lists but I think you should drop some of the stuff on the trukks as they are almost double their original points and most of them will die before your boyz reach the enemy lines

One thing I would reccommend doing with the extra points is buy more boyz, with only 3 (4 if you include the nobz) small troops choices on the table, it might be quite hard to capture objectives
Old 19 Jun 2009, 14:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammerz
I know you are probably basing some of this on the codex lists but I think you should drop some of the stuff on the trukks as they are almost double their original points and most of them will die before your boyz reach the enemy lines
What should I drop? Red Paint Job and Armor Plates seem pretty good to me.
zeldafan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2009, 12:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Trukks should be cheap. All I take on mine are rams and rokkits. A lot of people think the rokkits are a waste of points, but once my boyz are dropped off people tend to ignore the trukks, and I've killed many space marines, blown up many tanks, and wounded many monsterous creatures with that crappy rokkit. The key is I have one on every trukk, so one is bound to do something each round. Other than that the only other upgrade I would take is red paint, if I have spare points laying around (but whoever does?). The rest of the upgrades are a waste, in my opinion. They look cool, but don't do much for gameplay.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2009, 19:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I too am trying to run a list similar to this. It goes with about 4 trukks and boy'z in each. I personally suggest taking off the ard' case. With it on, you can't get out and assault the same turn.
Warboss Vandersnag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2009, 20:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nothing in your army should have Armour Plates to start off with. The points you would save without it are certainly not something to sneeze at.

While the Boarding Plank and Wreckin' Ball may seem like neat toys to play with, they're basically worthless. There's no reason to board an enemy vehicle as opposed to simply jumping out and charging it, and a single str 9 attack that needs a 4+ to hit will rarely be worth it since it still allows armour saves, if I'm not mistaken.

Red paint is a decent investment, but often you still won't see returns on it. I personally run my Trukks with just a Reinforced Ram so that I can re-roll terrain tests. I played a game today and Trukks die so quickly that it simply isn't worth spending more than a few points on upgrades. Even with a Kustom Force Field they died as soon as they were shot at.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote