Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Getting bored with Orks...looking for some ideas
Old 06 Jun 2009, 19:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Getting bored with Orks...looking for some ideas

Well...I never thought I'd say this, but I'm getting bored with my Orks because...I'm winning. :-\ I know that sounds like a dumb complaint, but the thing is that it's just not hard. I know there are lists out there that can take down Orks but vehicles aren't a huge emphasis among my local gamers and the local meta around IG hasn't really developed yet (everyone is still painting there armies).

In my local store, we have a number of IG players (mostly new to IG veterans with 40k) a number of Space Marine players, then some Chaos & Daemons. There aren't a lot of Tyranid or Necron players. And we have a couple of Ork armies other than mine.

I'm running the following:

Warboss with Power Klaw, Eavy Armor, Attack Squig & Cybork Body.
6 Nobz on Bikes with the mix (you know the drill)
1 x 30 strong Shoota Mob with Rokkits (fer da wagonz)
3 x 30 strong Slugga Mobz

Plus I've got Snikrot & 14 Kommandos, a Battlewagon and a Spider Dread for larger games.

Here's how the games play out:
1 ) We deploy and my opponent sees 120 Orks on the tabletop at 1500 points.
2 ) The Nob bikers get shot at, charged, and pretty much kill anything within range.
3 ) The footslogging boyz mob what's left. Game over.

[hr]
Now, I'd like to return to my Snakebite roots (my original idea). Here are my current ideas, let me know what you think:

1 ) Try to sell off my Kommandos for more Boyz (even though I love the idea of Snikrot).
2 ) Drop the Nob Bikes to Bike Boyz and maybe try to trade them for trukks.
3 ) Run the wall of Boyz with a few junka trukks, a Wyrdboy and some Nobz in a Battlewagon (rather than on bikes) as my hammer.

Thoughts? I'm open to ideas. I still want a viable list but I think that the Nob Bikers are just over the top.

Thanks,
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2009, 21:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Getting bored with Orks...looking for some ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Well...I never thought I'd say this, but I'm getting bored with my Orks because...I'm winning. :-\ I know that sounds like a dumb complaint, but the thing is that it's just not hard.
I was always winning with my Eldar so nobody would play me- i then decided to move to Orks to lose but for some strange reason i ended up winning (and people say orks are rubbish)

Out of your 3 options i'd say that 1 is the best becuase your army would be much cooler on the tabletop with a maxed out ork boy army (how lovley do your 120 look now? Just imagine them and another 60!)
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2009, 23:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm going to be blunt and I'm not intending to insult anyone.

A green tide style army list is dull. Putting hordes of Boyz on the table because they are cheap and effective works, I'll never argue that, but god it's just blah to look at and play. It's certainly Orky and true to roots but so are a million of styles of list. Go in a direction that requires you to put more thought into army composition, how the units will play off another, something that will require more finesse than throwing 120+ Boyz at someone really.

I find anyone who plays the exact same list day in and out is going to bore the hell out of themselves. If you're one of those people who has a set list, at 1k it's this, at 1.5k it's that, then there's no denying it will get dull. EVERY game I play I write a new list. I NEVER use the same list. To me, half the fun of a game is making an list. I try out new things, new unit combinations, different wargear loadouts, etc. I also don't stick to one style of list. I have a fair collection of Orks to pull from, so one day it's Speed Freaks, another it's more Mek oriented, other days a hybrid of sloggers and this and that. I do have a preferred style but even then the list is new each and every game.

My advice to anyone is to collect more, plain and simple, don't sell off stuff. Don't put yourself in a position of having only one Ork army, how I view people who play the same list all the time and only have those models. Get more units, get some fun stuff (Weirdboyz, Big Mek with an SAG, Looted Wagon, etc.), and see what you can create, don't limit yourself ever. The day you say this is the list I'll play and I'll only pull from these models is the day an army begins to get boring.
Old 07 Jun 2009, 00:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, you say you want Snakebites, but you also want Trukks and Bikes and Battlewagons. Kind of counter-intuitive.

If you want Snakebites then keep the Kommandoz, or model some new ones up that look more feral. Get rid of the Nobz on Bikes, get rid of the shootaz. Stick some Boyz on Boars and call them Bikers, maybe get a Squiggoth if you want a Battlewagon (not perfect of course, but eh.)

The thing for you though, I think, might be more of a Blood Axes thing. Boyz with Shootas and whatever they can buy off of Imperial merchants, Wagons and Trukks that are little more than looted Chimeras and whatever from guard allies that they may have turned against. You can get everything you want and not break fluff that way.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 00:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
I find anyone who plays the exact same list day in and out is going to bore the hell out of themselves. If you're one of those people who has a set list, at 1k it's this, at 1.5k it's that, then there's no denying it will get dull. EVERY game I play I write a new list. I NEVER use the same list. To me, half the fun of a game is making an list. I try out new things, new unit combinations, different wargear loadouts, etc. I also don't stick to one style of list. I have a fair collection of Orks to pull from, so one day it's Speed Freaks, another it's more Mek oriented, other days a hybrid of sloggers and this and that. I do have a preferred style but even then the list is new each and every game.
That's nice. What you fail to realize is that not everyone can afford a big enough model collection to be able to do that.

And even if you could, a good way to cure boredom is not to buy even more models for the same army, but a completely new army altogether, don't you think?

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 01:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sorck
I was always winning with my Eldar so nobody would play me- i then decided to move to Orks to lose but for some strange reason i ended up winning (and people say orks are rubbish)

Out of your 3 options i'd say that 1 is the best becuase your army would be much cooler on the tabletop with a maxed out ork boy army (how lovley do your 120 look now? Just imagine them and another 60!)
I could. But I actually think that 120 Orks with some Gretchen would be nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
I'm going to be blunt and I'm not intending to insult anyone.

A green tide style army list is dull. Putting hordes of Boyz on the table because they are cheap and effective works, I'll never argue that, but god it's just blah to look at and play. It's certainly Orky and true to roots but so are a million of styles of list. Go in a direction that requires you to put more thought into army composition, how the units will play off another, something that will require more finesse than throwing 120+ Boyz at someone really.
Yeah. I've noticed. To be honest, I really like 120 boyz. It isn't overpowered on its own. But it is a bit boring. Which is why I'm looking for some ideas for more flair units to spice up my list. I thought that Nob Bikers and Kommandos would do it. But, honestly, they're just too good. You still don't have to think to use them. You just throw them at the enemy and things die.

Quote:
Well. To be honest, I don't have the time, money, or inclination to buy 5000 points of Orks so that I can field the whole gamut of what is out there. Your idea is certainly a good one...but not valid in my case.

Quote:
To more directly answer your question, none of the above. My advice to anyone is to collect more, plain and simple, don't sell off stuff. Don't put yourself in a position of having only one Ork army, how I view people who play the same list all the time and only have those models. Get more units, get some fun stuff (Weirdboyz, Big Mek with an SAG, Looted Wagon, etc.), and see what you can create, don't limit yourself ever. The day you say this is the list I'll play and I'll only pull from these models is the day an army begins to get boring.
Again. It's simply not possible. I either need to keep what I have to get rid of some it to make room for other stuff...which is why I want to nail down a fun list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl
Well, you say you want Snakebites, but you also want Trukks and Bikes and Battlewagons. Kind of counter-intuitive.
a) I didn't say I want Bikes. I said I have bikes and I'd like to get rid of them.

b) Trukks are very much in keeping with Snakebites. Maybe not Red Trukks. But junka trukks were in the Feral Ork list. So there's no reason they can't be in a Snakebites list.

c) Battlewagons are possible in a Snakebites list. There's no reason Snakebites can't loot a battlewagon. Maybe they'd be more likely to have a Looted Wagon. But one Battlewagon is possible. I'd doubt more than that, though.

Quote:
If you want Snakebites then keep the Kommandoz, or model some new ones up that look more feral. Get rid of the Nobz on Bikes, get rid of the shootaz. Stick some Boyz on Boars and call them Bikers, maybe get a Squiggoth if you want a Battlewagon (not perfect of course, but eh.)
Rid of Shootaz? Feral Orks had a BS of 3, Huntaz anyone?. Kommandoz, though, are out because of their use of "taktikz".

Anyway. I don't mean to stifle any idea. So keep them coming. I'm simply trying to give everything a fair shake.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 03:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Okay then forget everything about the Snakebites epic mistrust of all technology.

Their shootas are rocks. Maybe throwin'-squigs. They ride Boars instead of bikes. They are much more happy to steer clear of vehicles, looting is anathema to them. Their Lobbaz are Catapults for Gork's sake! To me it seems almost impossible to do a Snakebites army because theoretically they aren't even gonna want to bring Sluggas with them, they'd be happier with a pair of Choppas. Maybe just don't fire the Sluggas and still gain the extra CC attack.

And why are Kommandoz out? Taktikz? I hardly consider bein' sneaky or worshipping Mork a Taktik. If anything they's just da gitz wot get ta eat more cos they food don't run away.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 05:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I bought an issue of White Dwarf with a Snakebites battlewagon in it, so surely it's not quite that epic. Or maybe GW retconned it to push more battlewagons. Either way...

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 05:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
Quote:
That's nice. What you fail to realize is that not everyone can afford a big enough model collection to be able to do that.

And even if you could, a good way to cure boredom is not to buy even more models for the same army, but a completely new army altogether, don't you think?
What I was trying to get it is having variety. Having some options to change the list up instead of playing the same thing over and over. You don't need to have 5k of Orks to do that. If you routinely play 1k then just even having 1.5k worth of models will give you choices. If you play 1.5k then 2k - 2.5k worth of models gives you options.

Back to the topic. Have you considered converting some of the Boyz into other units? Like, making some Stormboyz, Lootas, Burnas, etc? Keep at least 60 Boyz for sloggers and the rest could be conversion bait. I'm a fan of Trukks and making a few of those will certainly lend some flexibility and flavor to your list. Having a BW on hand is always handy.
Old 07 Jun 2009, 10:07   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl
Okay then forget everything about the Snakebites epic mistrust of all technology.

Their shootas are rocks. Maybe throwin'-squigs. They ride Boars instead of bikes. They are much more happy to steer clear of vehicles, looting is anathema to them. Their Lobbaz are Catapults for Gork's sake! To me it seems almost impossible to do a Snakebites army because theoretically they aren't even gonna want to bring Sluggas with them, they'd be happier with a pair of Choppas. Maybe just don't fire the Sluggas and still gain the extra CC attack.
You seem to be getting Snakebites mixed up with feral orks there. Snakebites maybe less technologically minded than your average Ork, but that doesn't mean that they aren't Orks! And do Orky things, Like get addicted to speed? check. Want a bigger gun that his mate, zog? Check.

You can't stop an Ork being an Ork.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote