Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What to give a battle wagon
Old 02 Jun 2009, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default What to give a battle wagon

Shall I give a battle wagon a Zzap gun or a Boom Kannon.
Chapter champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 16:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: What to give a battle wagon

You really need to start consolidating your one line topics into a single thread and not creating a new thread for each question you have, it's just spamming. Make a topic, call it "Questions", or something along those lines, and post all these single line questions in it.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 19:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter champion
Shall I give a battle wagon a Zzap gun or a Boom Kannon.
By Boom Kannon, do you mean killkannon because a boomgun is only available for looted wagons not battlewagons

You can take both a killkannon and a zzap gun

If by boom kannon you meant just plain ordinary kannon then I would go for a kannon for the 2 types of fire however that is a personal opinion and others may disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
You really need to start consolidating your one line topics into a single thread and not creating a new thread for each question you have, it's just spamming. Make a topic, call it "Questions", or something along those lines, and post all these single line questions in it.
Hear, hear!
Old 02 Jun 2009, 19:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Actually this is also valid in his 1 post spamming in the Space marine Forum.

if you continue on the path...as well as your nasty habit -to not say ill-mannered- of not replying to what people post (you only replied once in two of your 17 threads) further action will have to be taken but the staff.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 11:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

on my b wagons i tend too have both just for some oomph plus if you get a weapon destroyed result u still have atleast one high strenth weapon left on it
cadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 12:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadius
on my b wagons i tend too have both just for some oomph plus if you get a weapon destroyed result u still have atleast one high strenth weapon left on it
How about cleaning up your grammar? Textspeak is not allow here and we demand the use of proper punctuation -part of the rules you agreed to follow by joining. Thanks.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 14:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

If i were using a battlewagon i'd equip it depending upon what it was to be used for:

if it were a transport then i'd give it grot riggers, 4 big shootas, 'ard case, armour plates and most likley a cannon becuase this would allow me to kill any enemy infantry and even light to medium tanks; the armour plates, riggers and 'ard case make the veichle better at transporting becuase it treats all stunned damage as shaken, it doesn't count as open-topped and it has a 50% chance of repairing imobilised results the turn after it recieved the damage.

if it were a heavy weapon platform i'd give it a killkannon, 'ard case, 4 big shootas and a Zzap Gun- all of theese weapons provide anti-infantry support and the killkannon/zzap gun is capable of destroying medium and even heavily armoured veichles.
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2009, 20:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

For a transport battlewagon I would suggest never using an ard case, unless you are transporting burnas and all you want to do is dry by torchings. Loosing the ability to charge is not worth getting rid of being open topped.

Here is my BW configuartion for transporting:

Battlewagon deffrolla, kannon, big shoota, armor plating

I would only use a deffrolla if your LGS/friends let you run over tanks with it, otherwise its not worth the points; just get a ram. I don't like having lots of guns since only two will be able to fire. That's why I bring the big shoota and kannon, so I can fire the frag round on the move. The armor plating keeps it alive a little longer, and if I have extra points I'll paint it red.

edit: I've only taken a BW as a main tank a couple times, and its not my cup of tea. I'll use looted wagons for that. Wish we could still loot leman russes.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2009, 03:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Battlewagons are a real shame. No, really, they are. They've fallen victim to the same problem GW has had with every one of their new codices. Essentially, that is the problem of optimization versus versatility.

Here's the break down. Battlewagons have a ton of really cool gizmoz and Orky wot-notz. Unfortunately, the vast majority of them are pretty much worthless...or superflorous.

So let's take a look at the Battlewagon.

What is a Battlewagon
A Battlewagon is a tank that sports a very respectable front armor and a mediocre side and rear armor. It has an amazing troop capacity with the ability to take a number of upgrades which can turn it into an astounding mobile bunker. All of this for a very low price (before options, taxes and tags, of course).

The Way of the Wagon
Battlewagons have essentially two functions.[list type=decimal][*]Transport[*]Gunwagon[/list]
Don't let those two get confused. If you attempt to simultaneously run a Battlewagon as both a transport and fire support several things will happen.
[list type=decimal][*]You will turn a reasonably priced vehicle into an overly priced vehicle.[*]You will have to chose between sacrificing transport capabilities for durability of vice versa...which will leave you with a mediocre transport with a gun (i.e. Chimera on steroids) or an unwisely exposed gunwagon.[*]Your inexpensive, durable, and deadly vehicle will turn into a liability which you cannot use effectively because you can't afford to throw it away[/list]
Troop Transport
With its outstanding troop capacity and it's open-topped status, the Transport Wagon is my personal favorite. Being able to dab on some Red Paint and move quickly, deploy 2" then charge gives a reasonable mob of Boyz a 19" threat range. Load this bad boy up with some Ard Boyz, Slugga Boyz or even some Mega Nobz and you've got yourself a wagon full of stompiness.

Upgrades? Red Paint Job, Grot Riggers and (possibly) a Deff Rolla. The Deff Rolla will gain a ton of value if it get's FAQ'd appropriately. Still, the ability to Tank Shock into an enemy unit, deal damage then charge said unit is pretty amazing.

The trick is...keep it simple, keep it cheap. You don't want a bunch of guns on this wagon. You'll simply waste your points. Chances are that your opponent will melta it shortly after it delivers its payload or he'll try to blow it up on it's way in. But that's okay. At 100 points, you can buy another one.

Gunwagon
This gets a little more tricky...but also a little bit more fun. The options for running a Gunwagon are by far more versatile than those for the Transport. But it can also cost you big time in points. The trick is: pick a theme and stick with it. If you're going to put a unit of Lootas inside and have them use it as a bunker, you're options will vary considerably from a Killkannon wagon. So think about what you want first.

Options? Ard Case is almost essential here. A Demolisher round or any of the myriad Imperial options for vehicles can just hurt badly here. Imagine the new IG melta cannon dropping a melta blast on your open-topped 180 point Wagon. Okay, you get my point.

The only time you wouldn't want the Ard Case is in the above Loota Bunka tactic. Otherwise, if you're strapping on da gunz, take the Case.

Red Paint job is probably not as important here. But it can still be helpful. You don't need to maximize range on most of our guns. Still, with a Zzap Gun or Rokkits, it might be helpful.

The Deff Rolla, Grabba Klaw, and Boarding Plank are all counter-intuitive here. You really shouldn't be moving this vehicle around alot. Park it in terrain that covers the flanks and let your huge armor on the front guard you as you open up with everything on board.

Grot Riggers aren't bad but aren't essential. Armor Plates aren't really important either. Unless you have free points. I wouldn't worry about them. You should be sitting still and utilizing your dozen or more shots. :P

For for da gunz. We'll start with the little things. The Battlewagon has an Orky BS. Therefore, I propose that Rokkit Launchas are a waste of points. You'll be paying 40 points for the possibility to hit with one rokkit each turn. Not too stellar. Rather, I'd say the 20 points for 12 S5 shots is much more worthwhile. Sure, only 4 will hit. But sometimes the Gork (or possibly Mork) will smile on you and you'll take down a pile of enemy infantry.

So the big gunz get a little bit more straightforward. Let me start by saying that the Killkannon is a huge waste of points. It's got a pitiful range, a mediocre strength and a less than stellar AP. All of this for an outstanding points cost. Maybe, maybe you could justify the fact that it's an extra weapon. But I wouldn't.

On the other hand, a Kannon, Zzap Gun or Lobba would be decent. My personal choice is the Kannon. Kannons are cheap, versatile and effective. You can blast away at infantry or cherry pick vehicles. Still, I wouldn't try to tool your Wagon for anti-tank action. It's going to cost you a minimum of 145 points for something that probably isn't going to kill a whole lot through the game. Instead, I think the 4 Big Shootas & Kannon setup is the way to go for shooting. It's Orky and it doesn't require much in the way of accuracy.

[hr]

Well, I hoped this helps a little.

Cheers,
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2009, 14:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's a great write up Emlyn and dead on as far as I'm concerned. You managed to turn a spam post into something useful. I'll add to your karma pile