Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need anti-armor help against Tau
Old 29 May 2009, 14:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Need anti-armor help against Tau

My friend plays a mechanized Tau army that I find really hard to beat. I play with mainly 3 Trukks and 2 Battlewagons, among other things. He usually runs 2 Devilfish with Fire Warriors, and 2 Hammerheads. He also has a few squads of Crisis suits with flamers, and tons of Kroot. The Kroot act as a roadblock so I can't get towards his tanks. But when I deal with the Kroot and get there, all his tanks have Flechettes on them (or as I call them "Ork Repellent"). So when I hop out to pop the tanks, half my squad is gone. So here are some options I'm looking at:

For my Battlewagons I'll take a Kannon, and Boarding Planks. That would give me some more S8 weapons, or even small blasts for hordes. And the boarding planks would allow the Nob to throw out 4 S9 attacks without exposing his squad. I've also thought about running 1-2 Kannon batteries to add more S8 firepower to help me out. Also it's a cheap distraction from my other units.

So my list I'm thinking of running now has 2x 3 Kannons, and 3 Battlewagons. One with 20 Shootas, and the two with 3 Meganobz. That way I'll have 9 Kannon shots a turn, and 3 AV 14 monsters coming his way, complete with Kustom Force Field protection. What do you think about that idea? Do you think that 3 MANZ are worth it for another BW? What else do you suggest?
eternaldream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 14:48   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Need anti-armor help against Tau

1) Deffkoptaz; Take 'em with Twin-Linked Rokkit Launcha and you got a pretty cheap AT. If you feel Rokkitz ain't enough, slap on a Buzzsaw! Strength 7 attack on the Charge. Remember, they can Outflank.

2) Warbikerz; Key member here is the Nob with the Power Klaw. You just need enough of them to deliver the PK-wielding Nob. Turbo-Boost and get as close as possible to the Tank. By the next turn, you should be close enough to assault it and smash it with your Power Klaw.

3) Nob Bikerz; If your Warbikerz are getting krump'd before they can reach their target, Nob Bikerz are much harder. Same strategy as Warbikerz but you got a whole lot tougher Bikerz. Slap on a Power Klaw (or at least a Big Choppa) on all of the Nob Bikerz (except the Painboy who can't equipped them).

4) Kommandoz; The key here is that the go around the Tau's Shooting e.g. Outflank. Maybe you can go with a fully decked out Kommando Mob but I suggest taking Burnaz as your special weapons coz you gonna need to kill their Infantry afterward as your 14 Kommandoz and 1 Nob (with PK) can surely take out any vehicle.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 15:24   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I like Deffkoptas a lot, but they don't often perform that well for me. I usually take them in 2's, and have 2-3 squads of them. They can't shoot to save their lives though... literally. I've been thinking of bumping the numbers up to 3 instead to get more shots in. I tried the saws, but they've never worked well enough for me to justify their cost.

I don't like regular bikers, because I'd rather take Deffkoptas. Nob bikers I like though, in just a smaller squad to not draw that much attention to itself.

I haven't tried Kommandos much, since I'm still a little iffy about them. The thing is the Flechette Launcher which will take out half or more of my squad before I even attack. Sure the Nob will survive, but it's usually only him. So that would lead me to take the smallest squad size instead of a large one. But then, that's more KP for my opponent.

My strategy so far has been take a lot of small suicidal units to take care of vehicles, and pray that I don't get an annihilation mission. However I'd like to change that last part so I don't have to worry about KPs as much. I just get angry when I have half my army left, and the opponent wins with 2 guys on the field (which has happened before).
Old 29 May 2009, 15:38   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

The best Anti-Tank methods Ork have at their disposal are mostly involving getting up close and personal. So, it's unavoidable to have a lot of casualties. But if you're so afraid of that, Nobz are the answer.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 15:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

A PK nob in a 30 boyz mob is pretty good with 5 S9 attacks on the charge (from the Nob only) and he has a handsomley large bodyguard at his disposal. Two or Three of the aformentioned units are very good especially if there's a Big Mek with KFF + PK with them.
Also, looted wagons sporting boomguns are effective at shooting from range but are easily destroyed with a puny front armour of 11.
If you're going to take nobz then don't forget the painboy otherwise they still die as easily as normal warbikers.
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 17:22   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

How do you get 5 attacks? A Nob only has 3 + 1 when charging right?

So how about Kannons? Do you think it would be worth it for a bunch of them?
Old 29 May 2009, 17:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

As someone who deals with the same thing, damn those flechette dischargers, I avoid assaulting the tanks unless I have no choice. Taking wounds on 50% of the unit, statistically, no matter what armor you have is just risky. You could try using the Meganobz, or even normal Nobz, but you won't come out unscathed, alive yes, but hurt. Not a bad idea to have a unit of either, both, whatever, but use assaulting the tanks as a last resort.

I agree on the Deffkoptas but field them in either 3's or a full unit of 5 just to try and make sure something hits at range. Kannons can be useful too since not only can they bust up his tanks, they can deny suits an armor save and they can drop blasts on Kroot. It's really an all around great gun against Tau. Consider (waits for the groaning and protesting of other members), a unit of Tankbustas. I also like Kommandos but I'd advice against the burnas and go with two rokkits. If the tanks are your bigger threat, not the Kroot, then outflanking and getting two pot shots on some rear armor could be useful. Oh, Lootas could help you out here too. They won't be reliable for the Hammerheads but they can do it, and they have a better chance on the Devilfish. I'd use them for thinning out Kroot primarily but they can fire on his armor if needed.

Really, it comes down to giving yourself enough options, not relying on one unit to bust up armor.
Old 29 May 2009, 19:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternaldream
How do you get 5 attacks? A Nob only has 3 + 1 when charging right?
Nobs also carry a pistol so he has 3 base, 1 for having a pistol and 1 for charging

The answer on the combat side for taking out tanks are PK. A Fighta-Bommer could bomb any veichle to pieces (any low-armoured one that is)
Old 29 May 2009, 19:23   #9 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Sorck you don't get an extra attack for having a pistol if you are using a Power Klaw. You would only get the extra attack if the nob was using a Choppa and a pistol.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 19:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I thought pistols gave you an extra attack if you had one with a second combat weapon i.e. the PK
or am i thinking of 4th edition? (the less noobish rules and the better rules)