Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactica: Ork Options for Close Combat
Old 07 May 2009, 23:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tactica: Ork Options for Close Combat

How to Krump Things Up Close: Orky Close Combat Weaponry

Orks love close combat. Itís what theyíre good at. Get into assault range of your foe and youíre looking at victory right there. But there are so many ways to take foes apart in close combat. This guide takes a brief look at what to arm your Nobs, Warboss, and even CC Big Meks with.

Basic Arms: Thoughts on the Usual Gutting Tools
ďWot all da ladz can take!Ē

Slugga and Choppa
The humble weapons of the Slugga Boy (which could be called the Choppa boy, why isnít it?), itís pretty good for basic equipment. Nobs get 5 attacks on the charge, which is pretty good, but it wonít bust AV with any reliability or cut through high saves like a power klaw does. Still, I like to have one or two Nobs in my mobs with slugga and choppa to take advantage of wound allocation. Stay away from kombi-shootas on these guys. The kombi-skorcha isnít bad for weakening a big mob of Boyz or Gaunts before you charge, but otherwise it doesnít do enough for me to be worth 5 points and losing a charge attack. It does ignore cover but you can take stikkbombs if youíre so worried about cover and youíll get more use out of them. The other kombi-weapons are jokes; Nobs were meant to assault and any time they waste shooting is worthless. If youíre looking at a normal boyz squad, you can shave a few points by leaving the Nob with slugga and choppa, which is worth it if youíre using boyz to hold objectives but not nearly as good if you want to attack things.

Big Choppa
I like these. For 5 points you wound on 2+ and sacrifice an attack. Running a couple of these in your Nob mobs helps save points on klaws, and continues to abuse wound allocation. Big Meks canít take these, which limits their CC effectiveness, but Iíve always wondered why nobody seems to run a Warboss with a Big Choppa. On the charge he hits at strength 8, enough to insta-kill a lot of things, but more importantly he hits at Initiative 5! Nothing else in the Ork army can match this, so he can smash through non-Eldar units before they can touch him. If you are desperate to save points, it might be worth a shot. This is the upgrade Iíd never recommend to mob Nobs. Spring for the power klaw or donít waste the points.

Power Klaw
I could be lazy and just link to Zenaiís excellent article on Nob use, because he covers the power klaw well, but Iím going to throw on a couple more thoughts. If youíre running a CC Mek, you can give him a klaw and he matches a naked Warboss (gah! Bad image) for points, and since bosses are almost never free of equipment youíve saved a few points. Warbiker, Stormboy, and Kommando Nobs should always have klaws for the same reason as boyz: anti-tank option and taking out MEQ or TEQ enemies who get the drop on you. Iíve heard of people running a lone Deffkopta with a buzzsaw and outflanking to get to rear armor, but at only Strength 7 this seems a little iffy to me. The only unit that should never have a power klaw is Tankbustas. Tankhammers should be enough to handle most threats in CC and youíve got tankbusta bombs for vehicles. Then again, Tankbustas donít appear on the table very often, so maybe this is a crazy new tactic that is actually really effective for some reason. Let me know if this set-up has ever done something special for you.

Special Arms: Observations of Other Ork Equipment
ďWot da Meks brewed up!Ē

Burna
Exclusive to the eponymous unit and the Big Mek, burnas work well, since itís the only power weapon in the Ork army that strikes at Initiative besides Zagstruk (only works on the charge) and a Weirdboy (only works on second round of combat, 50/50 chance). Burna units are good at carving up power armored foes, but theyíre fragile, and with their low initiative a couple will get sacrificed before you can hit. On Big Meks, the burna becomes a lovely tool, since you hit at initiative, and itís worth the 20 point investment for your CC HQ.

Ďurty Syringe
Letís face it: you take the Painboy for FNP and maybe cyborks. Donít worry about getting the Painboy in assault range, because the syringe is only good against high toughness stuff and the power klaw(s) should be handling that. Itís not bad but not great.

Grabba Stick
Not bad for a free upgrade to the Boyz slapped with grot control. Although grots are generally kept out of combat, if youíre attempting to tarpit something the Grabba Stick can slow its progress through the meatshield. Bogwog and Zogwog used this strategy to great success against a Daemon Prince of Khorne. Since you get it anyway you might as well use it.

Grot Prod
There are usually better ways to spend your points, but if your vehicles all have grot riggerz and red paint, everybody is carrying a bosspole, and youíve still got spare points, thenthe grot prod can help fend off foes who outflank to get to your objective. Itís almost never worth it, but itís cool enough that Iíd like to be proven wrong.

Tankhammer
Listed for completeness because I donít like Tankbustas, they still shouldnít leave home without one or two of these because it is effective in CC and is more consistent at vehicle destruction than bombs. Plus itís free, and those guys werenít hitting much with their rokkit launchers anyway, right?

A Brief Summary
Orks have some nice options for killing things within arm's length. While "standard" equipment is pretty good and easy to use, there are some interesting options in the Ork codex for more unique CC troops. Never forget that the points you're spending on CC weaponry add up quick, so think before you make a 10 man Nob unit all armed with klaws.

C&C appreciated.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2009, 05:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tactica: Ork Options for Close Combat

Pretty good write up. One small correction would be on the Big Choppa. You do gain plus two to your strength, but you don't sacrifice an attack. You might be thinking about the Fifth Edition change to Power Klaws/Power Fists ..........

I actually run a Power Klaw with the Tankbustas Nob. But this is more due to the fact that I carry Power Klaws almost always and whenever possible. Occasionaly I'll run my Warboss with a Big Choppa instead of a Power Klaw. Generally this is when I go up against high initiative armies.

Good write up. Karma point earned!
Old 08 May 2009, 08:46   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I always love the Power Klaw; it can krump anything from Terminators to Land Raiders. But I do understand that I need to take Big Choppaz for some enemies as well as 5 Big Choppaz equals 1 Power Klaw. I also tend to favor Big Choppa over regular Choppa any day coz I like wounding most Infantry units on a 2+, instant-kill T3 characters and have a decent chance to wound most MCs. Anyway, nice write-up. Karma earned.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2009, 22:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVEATCH
One small correction would be on the Big Choppa. You do gain plus two to your strength, but you don't sacrifice an attack. You might be thinking about the Fifth Edition change to Power Klaws/Power Fists ..........
Hate to contradict you, but big choppas are two handed weapons, so you lose the bonus from two single handed CC weapons.

Thanks for the karma (is it considered bad form if you don't thank mods for karma?).

Zenai: Klaws are great for krumpy-ness but striking at I1 is bothersome. The regular Choppa is a nice way to skim points on Nobs and wound allocation abuse but I find it better to drop points somewhere else if you can.

Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2009, 23:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Atticus:
Thanks for including Bogwog and Zogwog in this article!
I personally enjoy using the PK as always, and the Big Choppa for fun.
But the standard Choppa is always, always useful (at least vs the squishier things).
Having played with the Burna, I do like it, if only that you can get a free template if you really, really need it. Definitely useful if you're running your Mek with Burnas in a Battlewagon and you already went through your Combi-Skorcha...
Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2009, 01:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus
How to Krump Things Up Close: Orky Close Combat Weaponry

Slugga and Choppa
The humble weapons of the Slugga Boy (which could be called the Choppa boy, why isnít it?)
Cause their pistol is called a slugga, I assume, but good point. Thanks for the great article!
Old 09 May 2009, 01:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, you aren't technically losing an attack but you aren't gaining for two CC weapons, as you said.

The BC (big choppa), on a Nobz mob is something I highly recommend, not sure why you wouldn't. It puts them at S7 on the charge with 4 attacks, nothing to sneeze at. You can assault vehicles decently with this, never mind wound most everything on 2's. Plus, in a Nobz mob you ideally want to mix and match weapons to make full use of wound allocation. Oh, I use one on one of my Warbosses all the time, it's his favorite weapon.