Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Looted Valkyrie
Old 04 May 2009, 19:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Looted Valkyrie

Some short info before the point of the post:

Ok its been awhile since I posted here. I have been making some custom minis for another game, so my skills have been diverted. My Tau Army is on hold right now, because I started up and Ork Army.
Now I haven't really got a chance to play the game, so I do not know much about the rules. I have some friends at a local comic shop that is going to show me how to play, but that is not going to be for another month, (I have to wait till school lets out)

Right now I do most of my modeling before I go to bed because I work most of the day. So local help is a little out of my reach right now.

Anyways, I bought a Valkyrie last week and I am converting it to the Ork army. I am going to magnetized a whole seperate piece to the bottom with monster truck tires. Its going to look bad, one way or another. Right now I am painting the inside of the thing and converting some orks to man the weapons on the inside.

My main problem with this is, I do not know much about what i can do and what I can't do, (by the rules) Right now I am getting the feeling that the Valkyrie is going to be a waste of time, because what exactly can it be in an army? Most of the standards looted vehicles fit into the category of looted wagons, so is all my time spent on this Looted Valkyrie going to make it end up as a Looted Wagon? That seems a little disheartening. I have seen stuff about the ORK FIGHTA and ORK FIGHTA-BOMBA. Some people have told me that I could use it as one of those in an Apocalypse game. Are these really my only options to make use of this beast?

Anyways I do not know much about this stuff. I mainly just like the modeling aspect of the game and hope to get into playing it sometime in the next decade. Also I will post some pics this week of my progress if anyone is intersted.

Also I read somewhere, (Can't remember where though) that I could only have one looted vehicle in a standard army list. I wanted a whole bunch of looted vehicles in my army, (Hammerheads, Carnifexes etc), but if I can ony have one, this seems a little pointless.

EDIT: I also realize there is a seperate forum for conversions. I didn't post this topic there, because I felt this post was more directed at what I could do with the Looted Valkyrie. If I post any pics, I will be sure to post them in the correct forum.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Lord Scythican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2009, 19:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Looted Valkyrie

I would count it as a Battlewagon, if you want something that doesn't require you to play Apocalypse. You would need a codex to familiarize yourself with the weapons and options it has, but I'd say it would make a cool Battlewagon.

You can have up to 3 Looted Vehicles. It's a heavy support vehicle and as such you can fill up all 3 heavy slots with them if you wanted.
Old 04 May 2009, 19:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
I would count it as a Battlewagon, if you want something that doesn't require you to play Apocalypse. You would need a codex to familiarize yourself with the weapons and options it has, but I'd say it would make a cool Battlewagon.

You can have up to 3 Looted Vehicles. It's a heavy support vehicle and as such you can fill up all 3 heavy slots with them if you wanted.
Thanks for the insight! So basically use it for Battlewagons and then if I want it to be a fighta or an actual looted Valkyrie, then play apocalypse. I guess this way, the magnetized monster truck tires would serve a few purposes.

Also the Fightas can only be used in apocalypse right?

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Old 04 May 2009, 19:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you're going through the effort of magnetizing the wheels, great idea by the way, take the time to magnetize the weapon mounts too.

That's correct, Apocalypse only.
Old 04 May 2009, 20:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
If you're going through the effort of magnetizing the wheels, great idea by the way, take the time to magnetize the weapon mounts too.

That's correct, Apocalypse only.
Sure thing. I will make sure I magetnize as much as possible. I kind of went overboard on that stuff awhile back. I ended up making a devilfish that coudl convert into a hammerhead. There was a lot of stuff that had magnets on that one. Probably too much to tell you the truth.

EDIT:

What would this be used for in an army list?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/201885

Or could it even be used outside of Apocalypse?

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Old 04 May 2009, 20:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I'd count it as a buggy. Orks probably don't maintain skimmers that well, so it wouldn't have the power to count as one.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2009, 00:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Scythican

What would this be used for in an army list?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/201885

Or could it even be used outside of Apocalypse?
Deff Kopta or buggie most likely.

As for your Valkyrie, I would use it as a Battlewagon as Thor suggested. However, you wouldn't necessarily need to add monster truck tires to it. You could maybe just cut the flying base shorter and have it be hovering low and count it as a battlewagon that way.

Also, you can use Fighta-Bombas in standard games with the rules in Forgeworld Imperial Armor 2. However, you still need opponent permission to use them.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2009, 02:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I just bought one on Saturday, and I'm going to use it for apoc, but go ahead and make a battlewagon/looted wagon/trukk whatever with it. There is nothing that says you can only have X number of looted vehicles. You can only have three looted wagons gamewise, but you can convert every single vehicle to look looted if you want. Scout bikes can be buggies, piranhas as deffkoptas, monoliths as battlewagons, or ravagers as trukks. Its really up to you.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2009, 11:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think you could use the IA Apocalypse Fighta rules in normal games of 40K. In its rules it says "Fighta's are Heavy Support Choices for an Ork Army".
You would need to warn your oponent that you were using the Fighta though.
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2009, 12:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sorck (jimmy_mymail)
I think you could use the IA Apocalypse Fighta rules in normal games of 40K. In its rules it says "Fighta's are Heavy Support Choices for an Ork Army".
You would need to warn your oponent that you were using the Fighta though.
Thanks. This should help out. I am going to have to pick up the Imperial Armour book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
I just bought one on Saturday, and I'm going to use it for apoc, but go ahead and make a battlewagon/looted wagon/trukk whatever with it. There is nothing that says you can only have X number of looted vehicles. You can only have three looted wagons gamewise, but you can convert every single vehicle to look looted if you want. Scout bikes can be buggies, piranhas as deffkoptas, monoliths as battlewagons, or ravagers as trukks. Its really up to you.
What was you going to do with yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadaver

Deff Kopta or buggie most likely.

As for your Valkyrie, I would use it as a Battlewagon as Thor suggested. However, you wouldn't necessarily need to add monster truck tires to it. You could maybe just cut the flying base shorter and have it be hovering low and count it as a battlewagon that way.

Also, you can use Fighta-Bombas in standard games with the rules in Forgeworld Imperial Armor 2. However, you still need opponent permission to use them.
Well I guess it might be a little late for that. I just cut up one of my official Battlewagons to add truck tires to it...I will try and post some pics tonight in the conversion forum.

I think what I am going to do is, fix up some other "Top piece" for the trukk wheels. That way, when I remove the Valkyrie part to use in Apoc, I can add another piece in place of it, for the trukk to revert back into something else like a looted wagon. What do you think of that?

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1