Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Themed army, help needed
Old 01 May 2009, 13:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Themed army, help needed

This might sound a little strange, but I wanted help creating an army list that was going to be a challenge to win with, but still true to the Ork themes.

I know there are a lot of good, powerful, game winning units in the Ork Codex, Nob Bikers, Deffrolla Battlewagon, 10 Ork Loota squads etc. but I want to steer away from them with my Ork army, I do not want to win a game and have the opponent mutter under their breath that I won because of my army list, I want them to acknowledge me for as being a good general.

So with that in mind, and the fact that my Ork army has the Black Reach box set as its core, does anyone have some good ideas of
1) a take all comers list
2) has a good mix of troops to be "fluffy"
3) cannot be called "cheese"?
Sargaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 15:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: Themed army, help needed

What kind of themed list were you thinking of? Did you want to go Kult of Speed? Footslogger? Something else? Really the Black Reach box caters to either kind of list.

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 17:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I play a fluffy yet competitive'ish list. I put together my lists for fun but I also don't just leave out units because they are powerful. It's not the units on their own that are "cheesy", it's how you put together your list. Taking a unit of Nobz isn't cheesy, taking 10 Lootas isn't cheesy. Now, if you took 3 units of 15 Lootas, well someone might then say it's cheesy, know what I mean?

In my experience there seems to be two major lists that opponents find cheesy with Orks. One being a full blown footslogger list, just Boyz, Boyz, and more Boyz, putting down 180 Boyz on the table PLUS other units. The other is a pure Nobz Bikers list.
Old 02 May 2009, 13:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I was thinking of expanding on the Black Reach box set with.. another one
That fleshes out the boys to two units of 20.
Gives me 6 Koptas, which I would do one unit of 5 and 1 by itself with a buzzsaw.
The second warboss is redundant as I intend to purchase a Big Mek with KFF as a second HQ choice.
The extra 5 Nobz will be combined with a box set of 5 Nobz, with the idea of maximising Power Klaws and Big Choppas, some leading the Boyz, the other joining the bosses retinue.

I also intend to buy a unit of Grots, as they are a really cool box set, and every story ever written about Orks seems to mention them.

I also think the new battlewagon kit is sensational, so I was going to buy one for my warboss to ride.

I usually play 2000pts with my friends, so I will obviously need to purchase a lot more than i have mentioned above.
I am not sure what else to buy, and may very well wait until I have play tested the smaller list first anyway, but its always good to get a second opinion.
So what should I consider in a good, balanced, fluffy list?

The clans from the codex do not grip my attention much, so I will just create a generic Ork warband.
I do like the Trukk kit as well, so would consider them.
I like the weirdboy concept.

As for the rest, I am lacking inspiration
Old 02 May 2009, 13:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sounds like you're off to a good start and you have the right idea, get in some smaller games with that to get a feel for things. Orks are very flavorful and I'm sure after a few games you'll get some inspiration and direction. The only stuff you're going to be really lacking right now is transports, you mentioned you've ideas for that, and heavy support.
Old 02 May 2009, 18:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The best thing about orks is if you can imagine it you can make it, for example, I like the 'stompy' aspect of ork warfare so my list always have as many dreads as I can field (usually 4) and a warboss and meganobz (they're just like mini-dreads). So try a few games, read some fluff about orks and their leaders and see what appeals to you ^_^

Please correct me with my spelling! (I know it's terrible)
gumgum921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2009, 12:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the advice, I am starting to get a firmer image in my head of what I would like them to look like.. but play testing will be the order of the day.

thanks again