Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

An Orky look at the New Imperial Guard Codex!
Old 01 May 2009, 11:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default An Orky look at the New Imperial Guard Codex!

Hi All,
My LGS just got their shipment of the new Codex, and had a bit of fun playing around with it yesterday (trying to get a sizable game very soon, so I can write it up). In short, there were many, many new changes, and I wanted to start a thread so that people could post their thoughts/surprises (both pleasant and otherwise) about the new book.

In no real order...

1. No Nob Biker Killer?
After looking at the various types of Leman Russes, there is no clear "Nob Biker" Killer. There is a S6 AP4 very nice tank that drops a plate that ignores cover save, but it still lets you take your Cybork Body and Feel No Pain checks. In short, nasty, but not too bad... The Standard Battle Cannon and the Demolisher still will be the better Nob Biker killers. No scary bits there!

2. Guard are a LOT cheaper
Overall, almost everything is cheaper. Heavy Weapon Teams will be in abundance! S6 weapons (cough, Grotzooka, cough) will be very, very useful nowadays...

3. SOME Tanks are Rear Armor 11!
Yes, these few, proud, and mighty are pretty much invulnerable to the Boyz now... Can't hope for lucky glances anymore... If you don't have the Codex, make sure to ask WHICH Leman Russes are which, as it's hard to tell just by the Turrets...

4. Psychic Choir MADNESS
Psychic Choir in a Chimera will be on a LOT of people's lists (assuming they can find enough models that is...). This will negate a lot of small elite forces (Nob Bikers, sigh, sadly enough) as it makes their Ld plummet. However...

5. Guard no like BOOM!
Being near (or even worse IN) a vehicle that explodes is just BAD for the Guard. We played around with Veterans in Chimeras, and everything was rosy until it blew up and half the Vets died, pinned, and were really out of luck... And a Psychic Choir in a Chimera has a VERY LOW life expectancy if it does blow up.

6. Mediocre Leadership?
This is a bit of a tough one. Ld8 is OK, but not stellar. The Guard really have some Ld issues, but lots of ways around it (Lord Commissar, Commissars, Reg. Standards), but can't stay in combat very well (falling back a LOT is going to happen to them). So truly would recommend hitting as many of them as hard and as fast as possible, if only that you will hopefully KEEP some in close combat. The Orks are actually really in danger of taking out squads and forcing them to flee, and letting them live to shoot you the next turn!

7. No more 20KP guard lists!
The Guard can now reform themselves into larger units of infantry and such, and can thus make massive blocks. Must be done at deployment, but boy, can it be intimidating sometimes. Sometimes.

8. Orders are awesome!
The Guard (especially the Senior Officer) has a few nasty Orders, forcing re-rolls for cover (Nob Bikers all wince at this) or making all shots at Vehicles Twin-Linked (Ditto for KoS). This really makes them able to take out the fast movers. Expect to lose a lot more boyz than last ed. Taking out the Senior Officer though, does remedy this fact... (Snikrot/Grotzookas anyone?)

Overall, a welcome change. The "cheez" factor is there, but actually well balanced by an overall lack of durability (except the Tanks... oh, the TANKS).

Please share your thoughts and experiences too!

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 15:05   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: An Orky look at the New Imperial Guard Codex!

The Guard is pretty much the same, to be honest. Sure you have all these toys but the fundamentals are there.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 18:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

What of the Valkyrie!?

... sorry I have a deep seated fear of cheesed up skimmers.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2009, 18:43   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Valkyries are hardly cheese-y. Sure; they have more firepower than a Hammerhead or a Fire Prism but they lack any real defensive capabilities like those on Eldar Skimmers (Holo-Field) or Tau Skimmers (Disruption Pod). They have to move flat-out just to get a 4+ Cover Save thus they can't shoot anything which is one of their main strengths.
Old 01 May 2009, 22:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

One of the IG guys and I actually tried Valkyries (see WAARGH Grumgutz vs The Cadian 207th) in an early game. In short, they are pretty terrifying when they DS in, and they can put the hurt out with their Hellstrike Missles (another S8 big plate, one shot each tho). Still, they fall in my brain somewhere around Fire Prism-dangerous, except they can transport troops and can make havok in your back lines. Still, they can be taken down just like any other skimmer, and actually (like Zenai pointed out) they really don't last that long past the round they first shot, as they don't have any of the other races' defenses. Still, pretty inexpensive for a DS big pie plate followed by dropping in a squad on your back objective! My mates have seemed to like it for killing Devestators and Lootas (although it seems like a bit of an overkill, but what do you know and all...). If anything, try and keep your lootas strung out over a few levels on a building (it seems to help). If you get a chance tho, Lootas and Kannons seem to be able to at least shake them with some regularity. Beautiful model too. Haven't yet seem them Scout in, but that would be pretty nasty as an outflank or two. Makes me more want to take a big squad of Grots just for denying DS

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2009, 06:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

Errr... fast attack ordnance? That's kinda scary. Is this thing AV12?
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2009, 11:56   #7 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneroplex
Errr... fast attack ordnance? That's kinda scary. Is this thing AV12?
You're lucky it doesn't ignore Cover Saves. But like I said, what's to be scared? Yeah, sure. Lose a few Orks. I got plenty hanging around and my Lootaz are there as well. Let it shoot a few shots, receive the casualty then casually aim my guns at it and see it fall out of the sky. And yes, it is AV12 at the Front and Side. Honestly, Eldar and Tau Skimmers are much scarier and tougher to shoot down.
Old 02 May 2009, 12:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
They have to move flat-out just to get a 4+ Cover Save thus they can't shoot anything which is one of their main strengths.
I would like to point out that all skimmers have to move flat out to get the cover save. Unless you mean that the Valkrie can't take advantage of cover at all. That would be interesting.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2009, 12:23   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
They have to move flat-out just to get a 4+ Cover Save thus they can't shoot anything which is one of their main strengths.
I would like to point out that all skimmers have to move flat out to get the cover save. Unless you mean that the Valkrie can't take advantage of cover at all. That would be interesting.
I'm trying to point out that Flat-Out Cover Save is the only defensive measure it can use to protect itself. It doesn't have anything that matches Holo-Fields, Energy-Fields or Disruption Pods.
Old 02 May 2009, 12:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Valkyrie cannot take use of terrain. I'm building one right now and the base is very very high, so you won't be able to hide behind anything.

Bigtoof, what do you mean no Russ variants that are anti-Nob bikers? Take another look. There is a variant in there can gets 3 shots with a plasma cannon, and get two more fitted on the side as sponsoons. I'd like to see a squad live through 5 plasma cannon shots!

Also don't forget that Hellhounds are better now.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote