Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Orks against the Death Wing army...
Old 30 Apr 2009, 13:10   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Orks against the Death Wing army...

Hi...,

Can you help me?...I need some advice against a Death Wing army with Belial, a Librarian, 3 Crusader and a simple LR and lot of terminators( CC termi and shoota termi). We will play by 2350 points.
In the first turn I can't stop them...He will use the smoke launcher(the DA smoke launcher is different then the SM)...and the second turn, he will be in close combat...

So, what is our(ork players) best weapon and tactic against the LRs and terminators(especially the CC terminators)?

Thanks,

Svindler
Svindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2009, 13:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Orks against the Death Wing army...

If it were me, I'd field a Nobz mob or two and plenty of Boyz. The problem with Termies is the low initiative, you actually get to swing first! You, however, need to make those attacks count because you know you're losing models when they strike back. Since you're playing since a high point game, a large unit of Nob Bikers and a Nobz mob in a Battlewagon would help out. The Nob Bikers have speed on their side so they can outmaneuver the Marines and be the ones getting the charge, which is also key for you. Give the Nobz a Painboy, take 'eavy armor and cybork bodies, some big choppas and PKs and go to town. Just some ideas for dealing with Termies.

I know not everyone is a fan of Tankbustas these days, but really, if he's putting down that many high armor vehicles then Tankbustas should work well. Take a large mob of them, take two tankhammers, get yourself a ride and bust them up. The tankhammers will also be nice for assaulting Termies. Deffkoptas are also nice for busting armor, outflank them with twin-linked rokkits and get a juicy rear armor shot. Even Buggies and Trakks with twin-linked rokkits are nice, though I find Deffkoptas more survivable overall.

Some Kans with KMBs (kustom mega blastas), could give you a hand with dealing with the Termies, AP2.

There's a lot of things you could do really. Probably the better question is, what are you fielding now and what options/models do you have available?
Old 30 Apr 2009, 13:47   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Here are my avaiable models:My models:
1 warbiker boss
1 megaboss
1 normal boss
1 Big mek (KFF)
1 Big mek (SAG)
8-10 nobs with PK
4 Meganob
30 shootaboy
80 sluggaboy
10 ork with rocket
16 loota
2 burnaboy
3 KMB Mekboy
6 big shoota boy
Boss snikrot and the red skull kommando
Boss zagstrukk and the vulcha boys
2 battlewagon (variable weaponry)
3 trukk
3 buggy
10 biker+nob
6 killa kann
3 kannon/lobba
1 looted wagon
2 deffkopta

Svindler
Old 30 Apr 2009, 14:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm not adding points, just tossing out where I'd start on a list in this case based on what you have.

Warboss w/10 Nobz + BW (Battlewagon)
Big Mek w/SAG + Lootas x 16
Bikers x 10
Buggies x 3 w/t-linked rokkits
Deffkoptas x 2 w/t-linked rokkits
Snikrot + Kommandos w/2 burnas
Tankbustas x 10 w/tankhammers x 2 (if you can)
Kans x 6 w/rokkits x 3 & KMBs x 3
20 Boyz w/Nob + BW

Then just flesh out the rest of the point from there with more Boyz. I'm just tossing it out there, haven't fine tuned it. The idea is to make use of the BWs to safely deliver the Nobz and Boyz where they need to be, to let you get the charge. It has plenty of AV capability with fast moving stuff like the Buggies and Koptas. You have lots of dakka and range with the SAG and Lootas. Granted, Lootas aren't punching Termie armor but they are wounding on 2's and laying out a lot of shots. The Kans I'd split into 2 heavy slots, 3 in each unit. Use one unit to cover your back lines and protect your Lootas and an objective, while the other unit moves up with the rest of your stuff to give fire support. The Bikers, again, give you speed to dance around them and get a charge in and Snikrot is just brutal and a nice surprise for his back lines or to contest an objective.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 17:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ask your opponenet whether or not the deffrolla can crush vehicles. If so they take those two battlewagons, fill them will sluggas, and run the land raiders over. I would suggest taking as many boyz as you can. It doesn't matter that cc terminators get a 3+ invulnerable save when you hit them with a choppa. I think the idea of tankbustahs could actual work against deathwing.

I would not suggest using nobs against terminators though. They will still get their 3+ save, and will deny your armor and FNP, leaving you with a 5+ invulnerable. Always keep nobs away from power weapon wielding units, especially power fists that will insta kill them. Just throw boyz at the terminators.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2009, 17:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Guess I hadn't fully thought out the Nobz, good call Scoutfox. I just went right for the baddest unit we got, or one of. I should think a bit more before posting when the caffeine hasn't set in yet.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 18:18   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ok...I made the following list:

1 warboss (Mega armor, attack squig,cybork body, bosspole) 130p
1 big mek (SAG) 95p
5 tankbusta 75 p
5 tankbusta 75p
5 burna (included 3 mekboy with KMB) 75p
4 meganob(2 kombiburna) +battlewagon(2 big shoota, deffrolla,boarding plank, grot rigger, red paint job) 310p
19 sluggaboy+nob(PK,BP) 160p
19 sluggaboy+nob(PK,BP) 160p
19 shootaboy+nob(PK,BP) 160p
11 boy+ nob(PK,BP)+trukk(reinforced ram, rocket launcha) 157p
11 boy+ nob(PK,BP)+trukk(reinforced ram, rocket launcha) 157p
3 warbuggy (TL RL) 105p
1 Deffkopta (TL RL) 45p
14 stormboyz+Zagstrukk 253
1 Battlewagon(2 big shoota, zzzapp, deffrolla) 135p
3 big gun(ZZAPP) 90p
3 killa kann (KMB) 165p

There are 12 rocket, 4 twin linked rocket, 6 KMB, 4 zzapp, 1 SAG, 4 big shoota, 11 Power klaw in this army...and many target to my opponent...

Svindler
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This looks like a pretty solid list. For killpoint reasons, i'd suggest putting the two tankbustas into a squad.

Obviosuly, put that warboss and meganobs in the wagon. But i'd suggest dropping the burna's and a slugga mob maybe snipping away some other points for a bare bones nob squad in a trukk with dok and maybe 3 BC's. they'd be a good either

A. Tarpit for the terminators so the meganobz can counter charge
B. a good counter charge unit should anyone else get charged by the CC termies.
Warboss Vandersnag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Something to consider:

While Regular Nobz are something you should generally stay away from against terminators, meganobz are rather good at a little game called "mutual assured destruction".

Charge your four into a squad of termies, you'll hit 8 times, wound with 7 and the termies should fail 5 invulnerable saves. Sure the mega-beakies will hit back and mash your MANz quite horribly, but you'll have traded a 160 point unit for a 215 (at least) point unit.

Other than that, boyz boyz boyz. Put as many attacks as you can on those termies and smash them up good.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2009, 19:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

I disagree with using tankbustas and rokkits in general, the reason being their strength can only glance a land raider and their ap value will not penetrate terminator armour. Where possible use only KMB's and zzap guns, but really you should not be trying to out shoot them but rather you should be focused on the assaults. Since he seems like he wants to assault you badly, you can counter this with the orks most basic and effective unit - 30 slugga boyz led by a PK nob. The sheer weight of attacks will chew up terminators and the power klaw on the nob can help kill them too, while he remains safe protected from all his boyz. Ork shooting could possibly dent his terminators but it's just not reliable enough, I believe the key is sticking to basic ork principles like more boyz and more power klaws.

I would try to ignore the land raiders until the terminators are destroyed, they're actually very difficult for orks to deal with in general. Battlewagons with deffrollas can be a good counter to land raiders, but land raiders shouldn't have that much difficulty shooting down your battlewagons first so you would have to be careful with them. A biker boss is probably your best bet for destroying a land raider due to his speed and high number of attacks, you might just run him solo or put him in a unit of warbikers that has a pk nob. The kans also are capable of doing it but they are slower and easier to maneuver around. Unless he's using his land raiders to bunker his units or otherwise prevent you from assaulting terminators, you should be able to ignore them as their damage output nowhere near reflects their points cost.

Just remember that deathwing have very few models and they're all quite expensive, the rely heavily on their armour values. Their firepower and assault power quickly diminishes when they start losing models, where orks can take lots of casualties before being neutralized.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote