Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ork Kommandos!
Old 25 Apr 2009, 13:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to megagnat1
Default Ork Kommandos!

The figures that come in the box set are rather expensive, so I am wondering if any of you guys convert normal or boyz to kommandos or anything.

Thoughts?
Old 25 Apr 2009, 13:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Ork Kommandos!

TH beauty of Ork models is that anything can be coverted into anything. Just cut off the gun and put another CCW there and poof.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2009, 13:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to megagnat1

I was also thinking of glueing some flock or grass to their bodies because they are so kunnin'
Old 25 Apr 2009, 13:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

You could remove the choppa blade and shorten it down to be more dagger length and glue it back on. Glue some stikkbombz onto them, add a backpack, paint them with a camo scheme, put a mask on them, etc.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 07:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

The main difference between regular boyz and kommandoes are the 'move through cover' and 'infiltrate' rules.

Since battlefields in 40k range from anything like woodlands to burning cities it's easy to come up with camo painting schemes and ways to help disguise them. Also, most kommandoes are members of the Blood Axes clan so if you're fielding a Blood Axe themed army you're going to need to distinguish your kommandoes from your boyz, who are also likely to be wearing camo. Since kommandoes are actually able to sneak around and perform kunnin' tactics, it's very likely they'll come to a battle with intricate or convincing camo patterns to help disguise them, where the regular Blood Axe boyz just wear random ineffective camo patterns for kicks. Some convincing warpaint patterns can also go a long way to making your kommandoes look like die-hard sneaky gits.

Modelling wise, they're more likely to come equipped with more 'field gear' than the regular boyz, like those little utility packs or bits of ammo as well as any communications devices you can find. The weapons they carry are likely to be more compact, as Thor mentioned you can reduce the size of their choppas to dagger length. You can feel free to putting more stuff on their bases like rocks and shrubbery to help disguise them, and bits of terrain gunk on the kommando themselves like flock etc. can help disguise them.

I've seen lots of creative ways to field kommandoes, but the main thing to remember when converting your kommandoes is that their abilities are actually for real.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2009, 18:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I am making my own Kommandoz from plastic! I am yet to finish them, but as time comes, I will post them on my blog, and maybe some picks here.

My army is generally a Deathskull/Bloodaxe mix, since it is themed around the movie "Kellys heroes".
All the minis are dressed in camo green clothes, with armour cathachan green, and for some the webbings aswell, to get a little more of the WWII GI feel. Not that much, I give you that, but anyway.

For the Kommandoz, I have also used some body parts from Warhammer fantasy boyz, just to spice things up a bit. They got the same Camo green base colour on their clothing, but it has patches of Catachan green and will also get some black or dark grey upon it. But my biggest plan is to put some modelling long reed/straw/tatch upon them to make some funny looking attempts at ultra camofluage gilly suits! :P

Heck, they will simply scream "Kommandoz" when I am done!

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Ra´Meses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2009, 18:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Little off topic but do you know where I could find some WWII back packs Ra´Meses, as I think strapping these to some boyz would be a great start for kommando conversions?

Please correct me with my spelling! (I know it's terrible)
gumgum921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2009, 19:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumgum921
Little off topic but do you know where I could find some WWII back packs Ra´Meses, as I think strapping these to some boyz would be a great start for kommando conversions?
Pick up a few of the kit packs from the IG vehicle sprues (the ones with the Lasguns) they look very good on Kommandos, IMO.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2009, 22:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Indeed, those would do very well as backpack!

Heck, I was even thinking for a while of going through the effort of carving out some IG helmets and put them on the Kommandoz heads, as if they where trying to look like humies... :P

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Ra´Meses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2009, 18:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra´Meses
Heck, I was even thinking for a while of going through the effort of carving out some IG helmets and put them on the Kommandoz heads, as if they where trying to look like humies... :P
That's a great idea ^_^ Might have to try that just to see how it looks.

Please correct me with my spelling! (I know it's terrible)
gumgum921 is offline   Reply With Quote