Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Looking to have some green fun!
Old 29 Mar 2009, 00:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Looking to have some green fun!

I've been debating this a long time, and the AOBR was a big factor in this. I want to put together an Ork army. Something small, around 500-750 points. I figure with things as cheap as they are I could put together a force of that size for around $100.

So with the contents of the AOBR box plus probably one more squad of 20 boyz, what would I need to fill that gap? I'd like to focus on a CC oriented army and I really like storm boyz and lootas. I would also like to include a unit of gretchin or grots (is there a difference?) to hold nearby objectives so my orks can go pillage. A trukk looks cool to get my Warboss and Nobz up in the fight faster, but they seem so weak! What sort of survivability do they have?

Suggestions would be much appreciated! I'm mostly looking for a nice fluffy and fun list, not worrying about playing competitively.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 00:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Looking to have some green fun!

Just starting Orks myself, I've found depending on the type of army you want you can make a decent list with only options from the AoBR set. The only thing that will lack alot of is Power Klaws, but these can be made cheaply with plasticard, as can just about anything else you need for Orks. I'm making some Mega Nobz with the AoBR Nobz and plasticard, for instance.

Tyndmyr has a Black Reach Service in the Trading Board you may have seen, so you can get just Orks rather than paying for all the Marines and extra stuff. I ordered a bunch of boyz from him for my army.

From what I know, the trukks can be popped pretty easily, just like most standard transports. This will especially be the case if you don't have several trukks as your opponent can target one or two and take the out pretty easily. I think battlewagons are a better option to get your Nobz and Boss there more reliably and you can always convert one to keep it cheap rather than paying for the GW kit. The Warstore has a bare bones Land Raider for half the cost of the full kit and with a little conversion work would serve as a great battlewagon.

Grots(gretchin, same thing) are a cheap set so even a couple boxes won't run you too much, especially if you get them from a discount online store.

Orks are a great army to start if you want to keep it cheap, because as I said, so much can be converted from scratch or extra bits and plasticard.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 01:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

How many points (just a range, not the exact cost) is a battlewagon? They seem a little big to throw into a 500-750 point list. I think I might buy one trukk depending on how many points they cost, I haven't picked up a codex yet. With me running boyz and the storm boyz jumping ahead I should be pretty good.

If my list looks like this, about what else would I be able to fit in the list to bring it up to 500-750?

1 warboss
5 nobz
20 slugga boyz
20 slugga boyz
Gretchin/grots (Is there any difference?)
10 (not sure on squad size) storm boyz
5 (not sure on squad size) lootas with high RoF weapons.
3 coptas
1 trukk

Old 29 Mar 2009, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

That puts you right at about 750 points(just a hair under) without upgrades on anything and without any gretchin. With even pretty basic upgrades on each unit that would probably get you close to 1,000 points once you factor in a decent sized grot squad.

A battlewagon will run just under 100 points without upgrades. Even just the most basic necessary upgrades you can run one for 100 points. They may be a bit pricey for a 500 point match, but for 750 or up I think they fit in fine.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 06:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you're looking for a nice addition with your new-found horde and stormboys (they're pretty good by the way: for CC and since they're jet-pack infantry they move really fast and have In etc.) I'd recommend a Trukk, as its a pretty basic transport, dosen't NEED upgrades to be effective force on the battlefield, and are fairly expendable. They are also nice to have to field your usual slower foot-sloggers, so they can help get your troops into the front lines without too many getting shoot beforehand. I might add another trukk, though since I don't believe you want to field a MegaNob or a 'eavy armor squad, you should be okay with just one. Mabye a Kannon due to its low points cost and decent damage and effectiveness and to diversify a wee bit, but it looks solid
Medusa
Old 29 Mar 2009, 09:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Alright how does this look?

Warboss + 5 nobz mounted in trukk
5 lootas
10 gretchin + 1 runtherd
12 slugga boyz mounted in trukk
10 slugga boyz
10 stormboyz
3 deffkoptas

700+\-

Those are all just the base cost, so I'm leaving those other 50 points for upgrades and wargear. Looking at it now I'm sort of wondering if the gretchin are worth it. They're 40 points and or that I could afford another trukk for my slugga boyz. Is having a squad to sit back and hold an objective worth it? Or should I spend those points getting my boyz towards my opponent's objective?

Old 29 Mar 2009, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Some of the units that you say you want in your list don't really work in low point games. The lootas only work well with 10+ of them, stormboyz need other fast units/infiltrators to distract the enemy or they'll die very quickly, and battlewagons with boyz will be half the cost in a 500 point match. You also won't have a lot of points if you want to use nobz either.

Just to give you an idea, I did a combat patrol tournament and had two trukks full of boyz, both had power claw/bosspole nobs, and then eight lootas. Not a lot of bodies.

Whenever you have walking boyz they should number at 20+ to keep them from fleeing. The ten you have will take a couple wounds and then run away. Either that or they need to be in a trukk. The only time trukks work really well is when there are a lot of them. Only having two will make it easy for your opponent to destroy them.

I'd advise going for a 1000-1500 point force, which you can still do with some converting of the AOBR contents and keep it relatively cheap. That way you can play around with some of the units you've shown interest in and still field a viable army.

scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 19:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I definitely don't want any battlewagons, AV 14 in such a low point game isn't my thing. I see larger vehicles as that belonging in higher point games. The 40+/- point trukks are perfect for low points.

I think I will remove the gretchin and give those boyz a trukk. With three trukks that should give them plenty of distraction as they would try to disable all the trukks before turning their attention to my orks that got out of them.

I figure stormboyz and the koptas will be able to rush forward with the trukks, and tie up their more dangerous shooty units. With the extreme ease to find cover nowadays I don't think the stormboyz and koptas will have much trouble getting close to the enemy. They aren't my main killers anyways, I just want them to be able to get in close and tie some things up to keep my scoring units safe. Should I drop the stormboyz for more koptas for vice versa? I like having one of each because I enjoy they looks of both models.

I wanted the lootas in there for some semi-mobile fire support. I figured that they would be relatively safe with the rest of the army running towards my opponent, and their fire will be enough to limit his movement out of cover. What would you suggest I replace them with?

I'm definitely not going to get higher than 750 points. That would require too much time and money that I want to put into my IG. I just want the orks so I can switch up on some small games from time to time. Thanks for the feedback from everyone so far.

Old 29 Mar 2009, 19:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Get the AOBR box, or just buy the pieces and proxy a lot of the models you are thinking about. No need to waste time/money in units you might not like. I think dropping the grots and getting another trukk is a wise decision.

As for the lootas, unless you are going to use more, you could swap them out for some buggies. Along with the koptas they could harass enemy lines and keep fire away from the trukks. The trukks are going to be the major punch in a 750 army.

You could also think about getting some big gunz in there as well. I'm a fan of lobbas and kannons. They are ultra cheap and can do some great things.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2009, 20:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'll look into the buggies after I get home from work. They sound like a good deal, plop some heavy weapons on there and still retain the mobility I'm looking for.

I'm not into the lobbas or kannons or other stationary fire support. I've got my IG for that. I want to build more of a mobile force.

I wish you could take stormboyz as troops, that would be a fun force.

So I think I've got the basic units of the army, what sort of upgrades/wargear would be advisable?