Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deff Rolla and Weapon Destroyed
Old 14 Mar 2009, 07:24   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Deff Rolla and Weapon Destroyed

Question: If my opponent were able to get a Weapon Destroy Vehicle Damage Result against my Battlewagon, can he/she choose to remove the Deff Rolla?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2009, 08:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Deff Rolla and Weapon Destroyed

Good question. The rulebook says the opponent can choose which weapon is destroyed, including vehicle upgrades that function as weapons. Then it gives examples, but they are all ranged weapons. The deffrolla is a vehicle upgrade, so I guess it comes down to whether or not you feel it functions as a weapon. Its not listed in the back of the codex under the ranged weapons list, but is in the vehicle upgrade section. Think I'd have to talk to those I play with to figure this one out.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2009, 08:49   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

I would agree buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon is not a Range Weapon but people can choose to remove it so I'm figuring out whether this applies to Deff Rolla as well. Yes, if I can't find a solution outright, I would have a talk with my foe.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 12:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Since you can kill things with it, it surely must be considered a weapon... but I haven't studied the rules very hard so might be off track here.
Sargaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 12:32   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
I would agree buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon is not a Range Weapon but people can choose to remove it so I'm figuring out whether this applies to Deff Rolla as well. Yes, if I can't find a solution outright, I would have a talk with my foe.
I'd say yes, because it is used as a weapon, after all. However, discussing it with your opponent first might be the best solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 12:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

The Deff Rolla is clearly a vehicle upgrade not a weapon. Therefore Weapon Destroyed results cannot destroy it. Check out page 89 of the Codex...it says "weapons" and Killkannon is listed there. On page 93, it says "upgrades" and Deff Rolla is listed there. These two wargear options for the Battlewagon both apply to the same vehicle, both kill things and both are found on the same page in the rules book. But they are categorized differently in the codex - so weapon destroyed effects one but not the other.

Cheers,
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 12:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

So is that the same for other upgrades such as wrecking ball?

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 15:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
So is that the same for other upgrades such as wrecking ball?
Sure. Because they're not weapons. Anything on page 93 isn't a weapon.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2009, 00:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So they could only destroy a gun mounted on the hull etc. But could they 'destroy' the (can't think of a better term right now so here we go) "loopholes" that allow you to use psyker powers and shoot with troops in transport, or is that an inherent right of a vehicle?
Also, could a unit stay in an immobilized vehicle after it is permanently 'stopped' if there was some tactical reason for it, like waiting for a big mek instead of foot stomping to the front line?
Old 16 Mar 2009, 00:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
The Deff Rolla is clearly a vehicle upgrade not a weapon. Therefore Weapon Destroyed results cannot destroy it. Check out page 89 of the Codex...it says "weapons" and Killkannon is listed there. On page 93, it says "upgrades" and Deff Rolla is listed there. These two wargear options for the Battlewagon both apply to the same vehicle, both kill things and both are found on the same page in the rules book. But they are categorized differently in the codex - so weapon destroyed effects one but not the other.

Cheers,
Em
Didn't scoutfox above point out that a Weapon Destroyed result also includes upgrades that function as weapons? A Deffrolla would fall into that category, wouldn't it?

@Medusa V: I don't think a porthole / gun port / fire point counts as a vehicle weapon. It's not the vehicle that is doing the firing. Regarding your other question, there is nothing wrong with leaving passengers inside a vehicle even if it's immobilized and has no weapons left. If it got to an objective before being swiss-cheesed and there are scoring troops inside it, they can still score from the relative safety of their steel box.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote