Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2nd Edition Ork models
Old 11 Mar 2009, 22:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 2nd Edition Ork models

A friend of mine recently started playing Warhammer 40.000. After a while he decided he did not like Blood Angels and turned to Orks.

I used to play 2nd Edition a decade ago (I now play Tau in 5th Edition, I skipped 3rd and 4th), so he now has an AoBR set of Orks plus some of my 2nd Edition models (a bunch of Goffs and Gretchin, 20 and 40, if I remember correctly, a few Orks with special or heavy weapons, such as Plasma Gun, Meltagun, Lascannon and Heavy Stubber, two Runtherdz and a metal Dreadnought).

He just complained that the old Orks are too different and useless, since they look like a different race. Is it really true? Are these old models completely useless? Or can they be just converted a little and then used?

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2009, 22:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 2nd Edition Ork models

Those old models are a part of GW history, and he shouldn't bitch around. They make great stand-ins if you don't have new models handy(I used mine for a few games), and a complete 2nd Edition army would be a great sight.
Sure, they look a bit out of place in a "Modern" army, but you could convert them, and at least the Grots are still useful (especially in a more regimented army, like Goffs or Blood Axes).

In addition, I'm sure those models could fetch an interesting price on E-Bay, so the spoiled brat should not complain. You know, a gifted horse...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2009, 22:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

WHAT?! Those are the coolest models for orks, smack him in the head a few times and carry on.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2009, 12:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks for the replies. Naah, he is no spoiled brat. It is just that he was expecting to paint and use them and then he found out they were quite different than the AoBR models.

Unfortunately, the old models he got are not a complete army. No Bigboss or Warboss there, just a bunch of infantry models and 2 Runtherdz (do they exist anymore?) and a Dreadnought. Oh, and a halftrack Warbike with Twin-Linked Autocannon. I think the metal Dreadnought could be used quite perfectly. It has two Power Claws, a Lascannon and a Heavy Bolter.

The biggest problem with the models is, that painting them would be an ordeal by itself, since back then I was an idiot and I just glued those models together without painting them and the glue I used was, well..., a very bad choice. And I had used a bit too much of it. *blushes*

Another problem is their armament, since back then they used their own variants of Bolters, Bolt Pistols, Melta Guns, Plasma Guns etc. They have Shootas, Zappas and so on now, right?

That guy is a very skilled painter, so I look forward to him converting the old models some and painting them.

Old 12 Mar 2009, 12:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The newer models do look better, no doubt, but the older models just have this comical aspect to them which makes them great. They do look a bit odd when mixed in with newer boyz but an Ork is an Ork. I enjoy having the mixed look in my army, just looks interesting. I have some old 2nd Ed models and Gorkamorka ones so I have a Trukk Boyz unit that is all old school models and lead by a Gorkamorka Nob using an old school Trukk.

Yes, Runtherds still exist. As for the weapons they carry, you have two options as I see it. One is to convert them, not too hard to do. The other, which is what I'd do for the sake of keeping those models intact, is to just play the weapons as "counts as whatever". Play the plasma guns and melta guns as rokkits, or whatever fits the list. Boltguns and bolt pistols are fine as is, count them as shoota and slugga respectively.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 19:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

plasmas, lascannon and melta models use them as Lootas. Perfect fit.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2009, 22:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
plasmas, lascannon and melta models use them as Lootas. Perfect fit.
I will tell him to try it, thanks for the ideas.