Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar Mind War details?
Old 09 Mar 2009, 13:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Eldar Mind War details?

Hi All,
Quick question, as I don't know the Eldar that well.
Had a game this weekend where someone tried to snipe my Painboy using their Jetbiked Farseer's Mindwar.
That wasn't a big issue, but we were trying to figure out how it works on taking PKs out of a big mob. Not having the codex myself, and never having run Eldar, I wasn't sure of the exact verbage/FAQs and such.
Also, wanted to know if anyone has thought of a way to defend against the Mindwar. It seems to be based on LOS, and if so, it's nasty, especially with 5th Ed. LOS rules.

Thought of a few ways:
1. Vehicles
If your PK is in a vehicle, then you can't be targeted.

2. Kill the Farseer
Easier said than done, especially if he's mobile, and well, that may be what your opponent wants you to do Chasing a sniper for half the game while he takes objectives would be... bad.

3. Ignore the Farseer
This seems dangerous, as if you lose Painboys (!), KFF Big Meks, and PKs it could be a game-breaker. The only unit that seems to be a bit resistant to the Mind War are (you guessed it) Nob Bikers, as they have a 4+ cover save and 2 wounds. Still, on a good roll, as it seems to be based on a Ld roll contest (Farseer=10, Painboy=7), then you're getting 3 wounds a turn to save against. On a less than average roll, that Painboy/PK is going down...

4. Stay in combat
As Assault blocks LOS, then you can't be targeted while fighting, but well... Eldar break easy. I've yet to have a fight last more than one round if they're not on Jetbikes. And even then, they usually flee

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2009, 16:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Eldar Mind War details?

I don't believe it allows saves. You can target any valid model you can see. However, there is a range limit, and believe me, you can stay out of range easily. :P That's a pain, since I'm an Eldar player. Of course, I haven't used Mind War since the last edition's codex, so I could be wrong.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2009, 16:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Note however that Mind War does allow cover saves according to the 5e FAQ ruling, so placing a Grotscreen in front of the unit in question is the Orky equivalent of a tinfoil hat...come to think of it, that would make a great conversion.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 14:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Can the ork model being targeting substitute its mob number for its leadership when making its Mind War check? (It can for most tests...) Not much a difference in small Nob squads, but heck of a difference if they're taking out that PK in a 30 mob squad of boyz.

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote