Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Red Orks?!!
Old 05 Mar 2009, 21:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Red Orks?!!

Well, since I'm new to TO: Hello everyone!
Since I'm rather newbish (a Black Reach one) I hope I haven't missed a child forum or that there hasn't been a post already on this topic. If there is, my sincerest apologies to the moderator.
To the point: I want to paint my Orcs Red. We're not talking about KoS or a Blood Axe that just rolled around in the mud... I'm talking SKIN RED.
Now before all the old 'Orkie Loverz' 'Klaw 'dere eyez out' and start screaming profanities: I know the risk. Orks are always green. If you look at this forums description it says: `Ere We Go, Ere We Go! We'z be Green, We'z be Mean, We'z be Mad! Come 'ere for a krumpin'. I know that . I mean you look at every single fantasy novel and an Ork is green (Tolkein par example). There are two reasons I would like to do this:
I I'm a newbie and therefore an idiot in all things 40k. I can get away with this with minimal facial reconstruction (due to 'krumpin) and/or damage to my reputation. After all I'm a noob, and 'kroots dun' 'knowz no betterz' do 'dey now?
II I think that there is limited creativity in terms of skin colour. I know the Bad Moonz and other clans can have Camouflage and body paint dry brushed on but why not skin?
III The fluff backs me up on this. Why not have a bunch of "un-Orky" Boyz deciding that instead of piling up all there toofs to get a Trukk or a Bike, they nab some body paint from a KoS shop and douse themselves? Or better yet why not throw in the Tyranid gene-mutated 'shroomies' on Planet X. Or better yet why don't we throw in the all-time favorite Convenient Plot Device of Chaos?
Thanks guys love the Ork Forum btw and Yay for First posts!

Medusa
Old 05 Mar 2009, 21:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Red Orks?!!

First of all, welcome to da WAAAGH... I mean, welcome on the boards, and to the hobby.

And, no, you're not crazy. I wanted to do red Orks as well after playing WoW, and there's actually someone on these very boards who does red Orks: Here's the link to King Winter's Blog:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=76794.0

His Orks look awesome, and I'm sure he'll help you with a few tips.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2009, 03:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Just claim it is boys without trucks trying to get into combat faster. That is solid orc logic.
Old 06 Mar 2009, 04:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's said in the ork codex that the green coloration is due to an algae present in the orks physiology. There's no reason there can't be multiple colors of this algae present in a galaxy as big as the milky way. Perhaps the different strain was created by close contact with chaos/tyranids/nuclear waste. Or perhaps it occurred naturally over a localized group of orks.

I'd suggest an organic brownish red if you're going this way.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2009, 04:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

There are red Algae here on earth it's usually quite toxic. The green is due to photosynthesis. Orks are fungus; born under a rock there are red mushrooms it's possible, but i do like the idea of them just slathering themselves in red paint to run faster. hey maybe if you pray to Mork really hard you'll get some good WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! rolls, or maybe it should be Gork.
Old 06 Mar 2009, 09:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

You really don't need to defend such an idea. You want 'em red, you paint 'em red. By the looks of the neat little thread link there, it can look very nice.

I have been thinking about making some orks brown in their teint. I have been pondering over yellow and blue too, but it seems to be a pretty big job to remake all those boys, so I ended up stickin' to green.

Post some pics when youre done!

Oh, and, if you are gonna make em red, you can use a brown ink or wash for the crevices, it looks decent enough with minimal work.

Good luck.
Old 06 Mar 2009, 20:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sweet thanks for the replies everyone
Old 06 Mar 2009, 20:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Mana-Valkyrie

Actually i am in the process of painting up the orks from the AoBR set with red skin, because i loved the fell orcs in the warcraft RTS games. So go for it.
Mana-Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2009, 20:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Darn it, this was my idea first, I've got photos up here somewhere to prove it...

But yes, you don't need to defend the idea. Perfectly valid.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2009, 11:08   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Orks painted in Red are proven to have +1 to Initiative and +1 to Movement

But yeah, perfectly valid Dey wan to hit FASTA'!
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote