Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Targeting hordes: A quick question regarding cover
Old 05 Mar 2009, 13:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Targeting hordes: A quick question regarding cover

Hi All,
Sorry to ask, but this has popped up more than once now.
I've been running a modified screen using my Nob Bikers, and there's been some argument that MCs with guns or Dreads with guns can shoot over the bikers and thus ignore the cover saves that the bikers would generate.
Also have had people argue that grots are less than half the height/width of the orks behind them and that means that a grot screen isn't enough to generate a cover save...
Weird arguments. Pretty much let it ride either way as I had a KFF pumping away behind both squads, but still, got me thinking and I wanted to pitch it out there to try and get a good explanation one way or another.

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2009, 13:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Targeting hordes: A quick question regarding cover

Your orks still get the cover save from a grot since they are an interviening model as per page 21 of the rule book. The grots just have to be in the LOS of the shot(s) being taken and they will grant other infantry units a cover save. Vehicles and MC are the only units in the game that require you to be able to see over 50% to negate cover. Less than 50% and the vehilce or MC gets their cover.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2009, 13:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hmm, what about vehicles that take LOS from their weapons?
They're technically higher than a grot, so does that mean that the cover save won't apply?

Best,
-BT
Old 05 Mar 2009, 13:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The rule seems pretty clear to me in that is says, "If a target is partially hidden from the firerís view by other models, it receives a 4+ cover save in the same way as if it was behind terrain." If your Dread is shooting and the unit in front of it does not obstruct its view such that it's shooting "through" them then no cover save is given to the unit that you're shooting.

As for the second bit, nowhere does it state the height of the model matters, again see my above quote. It says if it's partially hidden, so Grots only going up to the knees of Nobz doesn't matter, they are still getting cover as they are partially hidden by the screening unit. Height, or how much something is hidden, only matters with MCs and vehicles so they can be obscured.
Old 05 Mar 2009, 13:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hyena & Thor:
Thanks very much! I now can make a coherent argument backed up with a rules page
Mork bless the cohesive thinktank that is the forum!

Best,
-BT