Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deffdread Layouts/Viability
Old 04 Mar 2009, 11:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Deffdread Layouts/Viability

Hi All,
I was skimming through the Ork Library, and I noticed that we don't have a tactica on Deffdreads.
I play a Deffdread with an extra CCW and a Skorcha, but I noticed he's been mostly hit or miss. He's blown up more than his share of bitz (usually marine flavored) and a Monolith, but for the most part, he's sort of left in the dust by everyone else. He's my counterpunch, but at a weighty 95 pts, I feel he could/should do more... I don't think I've actually killed anything with the Skorcha for example. Usually most things are in assault already... I wasn't sure if anyone else plays with Dreads, and wanted to get other people's opinions on the big guys.

Thanks,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2009, 12:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Deffdread Layouts/Viability

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=74981.0

Look again. You have to know I wrote something on Dreads.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2009, 12:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have yet to field a Dread but did just build one so will give him a spin. CanaBebe's tactica is a great guide and I fully agree with what is said in there. A lone Dread most likely won't do much for you but that depends on what you intend to use it for. In my case, I'm going to try fielding him as a support unit for my back lines, the guys holding down my objectives. My plan is to keep him well hidden until needed, no sense drawing attention early.

It's a roll probably better suited for something else, for the cost I could do a lot of different things, but I'm doing it for fun. In my case I'll be fielding him with 3 arms and a KMB. The idea of 4 arms is just awesome but since my main opponent is Tau, I figure I may as well try and see if I get lucky with a shot or two on the way in. I'm using the KMB instead of a rokkit because he tends to use his commander and a few other suits as his forward harassment unit, so AP2 would be useful.
Old 04 Mar 2009, 12:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I built one that has two skorchas and I use it to guard/baby sit my kannons. The kannons are vulnerable to outlfankers/deepstrikers. By keeping the drea around I give my opponent something to pause and think about first. If the outflanks don;t have gernades or a powerfist essentailly they have no choice but to stay clear. This allows my kannons to work their magic. Remember a unit doesn;t have to kill its points worth to make its points back, there are other ways.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2009, 13:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

CanaBebe:
Good to see you again!
I was hoping I had missed it
It makes me want to put in Kans too, especially with a KFF!

Thor:
Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought about keeping him for a guard, but that should work pretty well. Never actually tried a KMB... hmm... Actually one army that I've never played, either as or vs (ironically enough) is the Tau. Nobody around here is taking them up, I guess they're not easy to get used to/not forgiving to noobz. I've heard that Tau vs. Ork isn't much of a matchup, especially if you're fielding FNP Nobz of any kind...

Hyena031:
Double Skorcha! That's a neat idea, especially vs all the outflanking nowadays... didn't even think of that... May have to try it, if only to keep my lootas and kannons out of trouble (People have been targeting both lately for some reason...) Do you keep your Dread in cover, or is it better to keep him mobile? I assume that the outflankers will be coming to you to try and contest points, but since there's a LOT of shooty outflankers (snipers, scout bikes and the like) do you ever find the Deffdread's range an issue?

Thanks,
-BT

P.S. I sort of wonder if my problem is that I only am fielding ONE walker. Have been considering fielding some Kans, but I don't know if they'll help especially. I'm really trying to make something that will take people's attention away from my other incoming units, and I'm not sure if Kans will help. I find that people usually ignore my DeffDread as it is!
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2009, 13:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you throw down 3 Kans then they will not be ignored as a single Dread will be. A single Dread is not much of a threat if you're advancing him forward. They can choose to take it down more or less at will, assuming they have brought some AV weaponry. You move up 3 Kans though, that's something that can't be ignored. You've got BS3 for shooting and are a monster in assault. Getting 3 Kans charging into a unit is not something your opponent wants to happen so he'll devote fire power their way. The cost of 3 Kans is cheap for the potential they bring.
Old 04 Mar 2009, 13:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you're going to use such a unit for Big Gun support, I don't see why you don't go for two big shootas. True you're hitting on BS 2 but you'll be able to support the batteries by putting out more Dakka. If the unit you're supporting is a Loota squad, that also has some Meks in it, then having more dakka and stompy can work real well.
Old 04 Mar 2009, 18:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Cause I only have two dreads one with two skorchas and one with two extra DCCW. The bonus that the skorchas have is that any units that outflank in from cover will not be protected by cover. As for my dread I keep him out of LOS to enemy units that can pop him as best as possible. The range is not an issue if my kannons are 12" from the side table edge as this is where the ouflankers will be coming from. Once the outflankers hit the table they are in the dread range.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote