Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fluff questions.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 13:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Fluff questions.

So I finished reading "Waaagh! The Orks" and "Ere we go" and one thing that struck me was the relationship between Chaos and Orks. While Orks are the least likely to follow Chaos because of the general lack of angst in their society, it specifically mentioned that there were some particularly regimented Stormboy groups that would dedicate themselves to Khorne in his martial aspect (this was before Khorne was BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD psychotic). The question is...do they still do this? If so, how would one represent this?

Also, in the books it talks about how particularly cunning or talented humans/Eldar/etc. were capable of rising in the Ork ranks if they were useful to a Warboss, and how some would eventually take on the characteristics of Orks. There was an image in particular of several human vassals kneeling before an Ork warboss, a human advisor whispering into the Ork's ear. Does this type of relation still exist in 40k or have Orks been simplified to Waaagh! Kill! ERE WE GO?
Old 27 Feb 2009, 14:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Fluff questions.

Well, speaking as a Blood Axe player, it's not unknown for Blood Axes to keep around a human "pet"/advisor, although this is very rare for other clans, what with the Blood Axes being the least xenophobic (although they are ready to krump anybody who would double cross them).
As I recall, the Bad Moons also have been known to deal with humans, but that's on more of a merchant-level sort of affair...
I think now that Khorne is slaveringly crazy no Orks are following him per se.
However, Freebooters (darned teef-lovin' gits) will work for anybody, although Khornites would probably have to pay up front.

Best,
-BT

Edit: Oh, and Orks aren't the hardest guys in the universe to fool either. Pretending to be Gork/Mork and sending the Orks on a rampage has been done before... Also, Orks can be pretty egotistic, and if they think they've managed to "trick" an Eldar or Hummie into giving up a strategic location (actually the location of the OTHER xeno base) they wouldn't think twice about running in choppas swinging.
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2009, 14:13   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Orks think that the Chaos Gods are weak because Gork and Mork can krump them good and proper. So, why would any Ork bow before a weaker God? And Orks don't fight for nothing except fighting itself and winning.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2009, 14:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Orks do respect the Emperor though, because of his ability to stay in power despite the fact that his only real servants are Oomies. Or was this retconned as well?
Old 27 Feb 2009, 14:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJuggler
The Orks do respect the Emperor though, because of his ability to stay in power despite the fact that his only real servants are Oomies. Or was this retconned as well?
Nope. It was actually referenced in last months WD.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2009, 14:25   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droofus
Quote:
Nope. It was actually referenced in last months WD.
Orks respect Humans as one of their adversaries and see the Emperor as the God of War much like Gork and Mork. So yes, they can always count on the Emperor to send them a good scrap.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 14:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Another question: Do Orks still use Feral Ogryns that have not been indoctrinated into the Imperial Cult? If not in the army, then in the fluff.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 14:51   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Another question: Do Orks still use Feral Ogryns that have not been indoctrinated into the Imperial Cult? If not in the army, then in the fluff.
The Blood Axes would but for the other clans, "Green is always best!"
Old 27 Feb 2009, 17:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I always figured my Bad Moons would keep a few humans around - not for fighting, but for working and planning and stuff. After all "finkin' makes da Boss' head spin...".

Especially the more "civilised" Ork Klans probably see the value in having a couple of hoomies around. And it isn't a bad deal, either - if you prove valuable, you're far less likely to be (b)eaten to death, and I definitely can see humans being prized possessions (especially military savvy ones or scientists) - and Orks would definitely give them more care than Grots (after all, Grotz are everywhere. Good, klewa oomies? Not so much).

With humans being rotten and power hungry, I can definitely see some of them volunteering for advisor duties... (van Straab, anyone?).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 01:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What about human entertainers? In the old "Waaagh! The Orks" it talks about Orky entertainment, including Rokk and Eavy Metal. Would musicians find a place in Orky society? Also, engineers/architects for building the ultimate rollercoaster for a speed-addicted Warboss?