Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How useful are Lobbas
Old 31 Jan 2009, 19:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default How useful are Lobbas

- Lobbas -

There are two ways to field Lobbas. You can go bare bones and stick them in deep cover because they do not need LoS. You can upgrade them with ammo runts or even use runtherder and grots for extra wounds. Most players will go bare bones or Lobbas with ammo runts. You're paying 20 - 30 points for tiny upgrades in survivability to a fragile and cheap unit. Ammo runts are the only addition to consider. If you want get a cheap unit of grots to screen them. This will give you an additional scoring unit as well.

The Pros - Why they work and How they work

- Mainly used for pinning checks. Loosing a turn for taking one wound from the lobba
easily justifies their cost.
- Lobbas can shoot out of L.O.S. and be a cheaper replacement for grotzookas, big shootas and flamers at better range.
- They are a great annoyance unit (although they are much more than just that).
- There are taktical advantages in having an indirect fire unit. It means your opponent can not hide and you force him to spread out.
- With the new rules for template weapons and the option to take ammo runts, lobbas are quite a good unit. In 5th Edition, you get to reroll the scatter dice with ammo runts.
- Barrage weapons (such as Mortors, indirect Basilisk rounds, or Lobbas) ignore intervening cover. They do not ignore cover the unit is in (such as Ruins or tree-lines), or cover-saves the unit itself benefits from (such as a KFF or the Ork Warbike 4+ cover)
- Lobbas lack a str 6 in comparison to some other choices but str 5 is not bad at all. Lobbas kill almost anything. Even with Meq armour saves the sheer number of dice rolls forced will result in a Tac squad losing most of their number.
- You have more survivability in six guns with crew than you do with a boomwagon.
- You can run them cheaply in cover without a runtherder or extra crew because they are safely out of LoS.
- They're great for pounding on units that are hiding behind something ready to counter-charge one of your large mobs.
- A single lobba in a corner can sneak around your deployment zone and contest if needed.
- Lobbas are best against Geqs and hordes but still useful against Meqs.
- With ammo runts it is not too hard to get a reasonable amount of hits.
- If you force enough rolls (armour saves, panic checks, pinning) they can't all be passed.
- Lobbas give us range - something most Ork weapons lack.
- Two squads of three lobbas (no extras) and one squad of three kannons with all the upgrades will take care of a lot of the Ork weaknesses.

The Cons - Why they are Left out of Lists

- They take up heavy support slots that could be used for Battlewagons
- Lobbas are less flexible than Kannons and more expensive.
- Do Ork lists require any more anti-infantry weaponry? With a solid core of shoota boyz and with some /trukkers you have a lot of weapons in your arsenal to deal with enemy troops.
- Ranged anti-tank is usually better than ranged anti-infantry for Orks

Summation

There are reasons why Ork players do not field Lobbas these days. First, we do not really need the added anti-infantry in a lot of our lists and they do not count as scoring. In addition, they take up valuable heavy slots where battlewagons and Killa Kanz find their home. Last, they are not as flexible as the cheap Kannon battery. These are compelling reasons to ignore Lobbas. The strengths of Lobbas are too ogften overlooked in Ork lists. I am a big fan of Lobba batteries in smaller Ork lists. I have won games in smaller lists by pinning my opponent and reaching combat safely with the unit I want to attack. In larger point games Lobbas become a lot more redundant.

I used to run a list similar to this in small games ... It is a standard footslogging horde at 1000 points.

Warboss w/ PK, Attack Squig, Eavy Armor, Cybork - 125
Big Mek w/ KFF Eavy Armor - 90

20 Shoota boyz, Rokkit launcha, Nob/PK, BP - 170
10 Grots, Runtherder, Grabba Stikk - 40

3 Lobbas, ammo runt - 78
3 Lobbas, ammo runt - 78
3 Kannons, runtherd, ammo runt, crew - 79

bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2009, 01:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How useful are Lobbas

How do you figure that lobbas are best used against TEQs???

You did nail it bang on when you siad "do orks need more anti-infantry?" We all know the answer is 9 out of 10 times no but we do need anti tank. Over all anti tank is the one of the biggest thorns that orks have in their Hides.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2009, 01:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
How do you figure that lobbas are best used against TEQs?
Of course i meant Geq not Teq. Thank you for spotting it. They will kill almost all of the aspect warriors in an Eldar list. They are good against nids and ork hordes. They will work against guard and might be better than their mortars. They can cause some serious pain. It is a 'Know Your Foe' type weapon. Why - do not think so? BTW, it is so nice to hear you find some errors in my posts again, lol.

Quote:
Over all anti tank is the one of the biggest thorns that orks have in their Hides.
Agreed. Which is why I would also use Rokkits, Kannons and PKs in a list that had Lobbas. That is the biggest problem justifying Lobbas. I love the feel of Lobbas in an Ork list but ... Orks are an assault orientated race where long ranged support fire is rare though. So three lobbas at only 75 points for three S5 AP5 shots at range might fit in some lists.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 01:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

TEQ = Terminator Equivalent. None of the units you have described are a TEQ unit. The problem I see with TEQs and small blast is that you are generally only going to hit 1 or 2 if at best TEQ models in a unit.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 01:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, lol. I know. I meant Geq -
Old 01 Feb 2009, 01:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ok that is what I thought just wanted to verify. You might want to change that in your post for other people reading this. There is that better...not a complete disagreement but enought to hopefuly satisfy you. Hahaha
Old 01 Feb 2009, 01:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
You might want to change that in your post for other people reading this. There is that better...not a complete disagreement but enought to hopefuly satisfy you. Hahaha
Changed. It might be enough for me to stick around awhile longer. But you have to keep it up.

So I take it you are not a fan of Lobbas in the end. I still feel they have their uses as it is nice to pin something down from 48" away and then let your boys assault. In fact batteries of Lobbas and Kannons with Lootas in the Elite spots and shoota boys for troops makes for a potent Ork gunline.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 02:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pinning is a bonus and not something you should expect or rely upon. Most units have high leadership or are fearless in some manner or another. The only army that has real viable chance to pin is Tau due to their makerlights being able to reduce leadership for pinning checks.

I find lobbas overall to simple eat up a heavy weapons slot while bringing nothign to table that is not already there. I would rather take so many other heavy choices over lobbas. When competting for the slot they are going up against battlewagons (deffrollas), killa khans and kannons. They just never come out on top.
Old 02 Feb 2009, 12:31   #9 (permalink)
FarmerGiles

I personally don't find Kannons to be enough for Anti Tank - yes STR 8 is nice, but occasionally you want that little bit extra. Lobbas as has been said are anti-infantry and we don't need any more of that.

I'm personally going to go against the norm and use lots of Zzap Guns in my army. The bonus "shake" effect is nice when it happens. Rolling to Hit is a pain yes, but BS 3, its still a 50 50 chance and 3-6 of them are going to hit their target!

The random STR is a good laugh, I mean we use a Big Mek with SAG with worse implications for bad STR rolling! And if you're lucky with the dice, you may just get that STR 10 shot to go after the AV 13-14 nasties! AP2 is the main nice bit though. So many people with marines and terminators out there coz they ain't got the tactics to play anything that we need some reasonable AP2 weaponry. And how badly can you roll the STR to hit a T4 model on worse than 3+ if not 2+?

On top of that thou, its just the humour of the things. A gretchin holding the switch for as long as hes brave enough to do so occasionally electrocuting himself in the process! Heehee makes my idea for Looted Tau Zzap Guns even more amusing!
Old 02 Feb 2009, 13:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

While the zzap gun does have a shot at being higher than strength 8 it will more often than not be str 7 or less. Those are just the odds. I will play the odds any day and take the versatility on the other days as well. On top of all of this kannons are the cheapest of the big gunz.