Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sluggas or Shootas
View Poll Results: Which one do you favour for your mobs and why?
Shoota 10 32.26%
Slugga 15 48.39%
50/50 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Jan 2009, 06:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Sluggas or Shootas

Again, assuming 1500 pts, which do you favour? I'm sure there's a lot who like to 'mix it up' but the question is:

Which one do you ***FAVOUR***? :P

Please explain your choice, what tactical option(s) you use that cause you to favour that load-out and how they link into your army as a whole.
Welshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 06:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Sluggas or Shootas

Sluggas cause if you plan on using your waaagh then you will not be shooting. however I always include a small squad or two of shootas but no where near 50/50
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 07:26   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I used to use sluggas when they reduced armor saves, now with 18" assault 2 weapons, I always field a few large squads shoota boys. My few slugga boys who are going into melee combat can take a ride in one of my trukks.
Two large mobs of shoota boys puts down a lot of pressure, and draws a lot of fire, forcing opponents to choose between a few trukks, or a wall of dakka!!
Cheers,
Magistellis.
Magistellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 08:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian

Shoota boyz! and my reason your still getting 3 S4 attacks on the charge!

Also the shoota looks cool!

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 12:05   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Slugga boys - I run a Speed freak army and every attack helps.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 12:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Shootas: I play with shooty Orks, so the more shots, the better.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 12:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

So far as I'm concerned, shootas are the best ranged weapon in the game. They're reliable, incredibly cheap, put out great firepower at the most useful range, and let you charge after unloading. Shootas give you massive flexibility in your list, as anything that wants to engage you in CC must first weather 40-60 S4 shots. Anything trying to shoot you gets their numbers thinned even before you charge them.

They're useful against marines. They're able to actually outshoot marines at optimal range, giving the marines two choices:
1) Stand and continue being outshot.
2) Move closer and rapidfire. They are then in shooting and assault range for next turn.

They're absolute killers against anything besides an MEQ. Once in range, Guard and Tau don't stand a chance.
Ninja Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 13:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Really, they both have their uses and it all depends on your list. I mostly run Sluggas because I run a Speedfreak style list and they ride in Trukks. If we could move a Trukk 12" and still shoot out of it, I'd field Shootas more than I do. They do still find a spot in my lists though when I want to create a threat that slogs across the board and draws attention of my fragile Trukks. I always have a big shoota(s) in with my Shootas also. You can't beat an assault weapon with that range and amount of dakka.
Old 02 Feb 2009, 19:26   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've swapped my preference for the main hoarde to Shootas.

Playing a couple of 'Combat patrol' scenarios I've found that the additional shooting power allows the boys to 'strike first'. Lets face it, the Orky "I" value isn't that great, that's why 'special tactics' like burna boys etc area valuable trick up the sleave to an Ork Boss to have.

The WS/S of the extra CC attack versus the BS/S of the shootas (on paper) ballances out the, however add to this the inevitable 'soaking up the hits' before the boys can return their hits in CC... now with thinned out numbers and the shoota's come out on top.

Yet another important thing is that this will also allow more options versus the "Rapid fire", troops in cover or CC troops by being able to 'hose them down' before any assault.
Welshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 15:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I was thinking about getting Da Green Tide box and just having pretty much an all-infantry army. That and black reach gives me 120 orky-porkies.

www.giftsforgeeks.org.uk Da Green Tide (limited run I think) 75

30 Shootas
30 Shootas
30 Shootas
30 Sluggas
5 Nobz/Warboss/3Deffkoptas from Black reach.

Any other (cheap!) suggestions. I'm not sure what pointage this would come to as I don't have the codex. (6pts per boy?)

[I do not wish this account to be deleted, but I will no longer be posting much]

03/Feb/13
FrisbeeForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote