Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlewagons and Soul Grinders
Old 30 Jan 2009, 11:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Battlewagons and Soul Grinders

Hi All,
Just had a rather interesting, (but unfortunately short! <4 indecisive rounds isn't really writing up unfortunately...) battle with a daemons army that hosted 3 Soul Grinders! In a 1500 point, KP type game this is rather... disheartening. I had a thought though, as I was getting harvester/phlegm/vomited on last night though. Is it possible to do a run-by clawing with a Battlewagon with a boarding plank? I had some difficulty getting close to the Grinders with my boyz, (in the end I just couldn't get enough PK going to hurt them decisively), and then the unit would get vomited/plegmed/ harvestered on. A Nob in a Wagon doing a drive-by would be good if only that it would keep the unit in the vehicle and only force me to sacrifice a few boyz for a good shot at KO'ing the dastardly machine.
I thought about using the Deffrolla, but as I have only one Battlewagon (open-topped mind you), it doesn't seem a fair trade as he could just "Death or Glory" it (with 2d6 armor pen rolls) and then I'll be in big movement problems the whole game. That, and it makes the whole "Tank Shock vs Ramming" business pop up. (Tauonline has a much-argued thread about the same. If this HAS been cleared up in any official way, please let me know!)
Just a thought.
Best,
-BT

If anyone has any other Soul Grinder related comments, feel free to post!
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2009, 12:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Battlewagons and Soul Grinders

I'd say you could use a boarding plank against a Soul Grinder. A walker is considered a vehicle and the boarding plank works on vehicles.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 13:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

What do youhave in your list for anti tank via ranged attacks?
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2009, 15:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Unfortunately not very much. I have 6 Rokkits and an SAG but that's really about it. I really do rely on PKs to do most of my work, but I've been having trouble with turtling shooty walkers/MCs. I'm considering fielding a unit of Tankbusters in a Wagon (Bustawagon) just for such an occasion.

Best,
-BT

Also, does the Soul Grinder count as an MC? I know its technically a vehicle, but does it get 2d6 to pen in assault/Death or Glory?
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2009, 16:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you look at the list I put out I always try to put in an abundace of rokkits. A bunch of you keep telling me to swap them out for skorcha buggies. But orks lack at anti tank and relying on PK is not a solid plan. I recommend deffkoptas, rokkit buggies, rokkits on trukks and Kannons via big guns.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 16:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I had trouble against two soul grinders in a 1000 point game not so long ago.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=77009.0

cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 03:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hm, being on the receiving end of some Ork shooting I think that Deffkoptas aren't that bad. Their speed lets them hop around out of range and stay away from other enemy units while blasting away with TL rokkits at the enemy. Downed many a Carnifex, dunno why it wouldn't be good at crippling a Soul Grinder...
Old 31 Jan 2009, 05:02   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
...orks lack at anti tank and relying on PK is not a solid plan. I recommend deffkoptas, rokkit buggies, rokkits on trukks and Kannons via big guns....
I'm going to back-up Hyena on this one... A lack of ranged anti-armour meant I found out the hard way recently. As for rokkits (or Kannons), Twin-linked are best and help a lot with the Orks BS (or lack of). For up to 1500pts three buggies is probably best bang for buck. But failing that, as with everything Orky... lots is best and your 6 would be good providing you can direct all at a single target.
Welshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 06:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

The thing with the tankbustas is that they are one squad where with deffkoptas, kannons, buggies or killa khans you can buy multiple units for well under what you plan on spending on those tankbustas you have talked about.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 03:21   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Soul Grinders are not Monstrous Creatures. They're Walkers with AV 13/13/10. But with their DCCW, they can auto-penetrate your Battlewagon. Penetrate on a 5+ if you Ram it.

This is a toughie. I still have problem handling Walkers with my Nob Bikerz. Lootas might be able to incapacitate it, whether taking out it's most dangerous gun or immobilizing it. Another one is Zzap Gun which can automatically cause a Crew Shaken result but since the Soul Grinder ignores Crew Shaken and Crew Stunned results, it doesn't really work :-\ Outflanking Deffkoptas might work as well. Give them Twin-Linked Rokkits and have them swoop behind the Soul Grinder and hit it's rear armor. Battlewagon with Deff Rolla, 'Ard Case and Red Paint Job as well as Boarding Plank with Nob totting PKs inside it might work too. Honestly, I just stay away from them but I'm playing Bikers so I got the speed to do it.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote