Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Finding a use for those silly mek models
Old 29 Jan 2009, 14:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Finding a use for those silly mek models

So I was gazing sadly at the 3 mek models I have left over from building my unit of 12 lootas the other day. I was thinking to myself - what possible use do these little guys have? The KMB doesn't fit with the unit, nor does the rokkit launcher (mostly because of range) even the big shoota is kind of a waste due to its decreased strength.

Then it hit me, these guys are "lootas" right? What could be more fluffy than having them sit next to their prized looted tank (wagon with boomgun and ardcase) or two? The meks could start in base contact with the tank(s) and repair any damage that happens to come its way. Of course, if the thing gets blown sky high, the mek will have a decent chance of biting it, but just make sure the rest of the lootas are far enough away and it's no big loss.

So what do you thinK? I realize it probably wouldn't be competitive on the level of nob bikers or even battlewagons, but I think it might be a fluffy way to use everyones extra Mek models.
Droofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2009, 14:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Finding a use for those silly mek models

Hmm...it could be workable. Any tank that's doing tankly things, like sitting still and firing, would benefit from the Mek fixing a weapon destroyed result. Immobilized isn't such a bit deal, again since you're probably sitting still to bring all your firepower to bear, but could be useful for fixing guns. I'm not sure that positioning would work out well though. The Mek being in contact with the tank means you have Lootas still awfully close to the tank and could take a hit if it goes boom with a radius over 2". The Lootas being that close means the tank is blocking their line of sight and creating a blind spot too.

If you want to find a use for the Mek models though, why not do some converting and turn them into Lootas themselves? What would be more fluffy then Meks sporting deffguns? They'd count as Lootas but you could use the models.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 19:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Thor, remember that with TLOS, most tanks will fire OVER the lootas, so they wont hinder the tank. And certainly they wont stand behind it!
Old 29 Jan 2009, 19:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I guess I was thinking more like the tank would provide cover for the Lootas. I mean, if you plan to use the Mek to fix the tank then why would you put him and the unit in front where they are more likely to get shot to death? I know they can't single the Mek out, but you'd have a really shooty unit that can repair a tank standing right there in front of it, I know I'd shoot at them because when it comes time for model removal, what are you going to keep, the Lootas or the Meks? I'm betting you remove the Meks and keep the Lootas, be silly not to.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 20:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
I guess I was thinking more like the tank would provide cover for the Lootas. I mean, if you plan to use the Mek to fix the tank then why would you put him and the unit in front where they are more likely to get shot to death? I know they can't single the Mek out, but you'd have a really shooty unit that can repair a tank standing right there in front of it, I know I'd shoot at them because when it comes time for model removal, what are you going to keep, the Lootas or the Meks? I'm betting you remove the Meks and keep the Lootas, be silly not to.
Ahh... but if my lootas aren't in area terrain, I'd have a minimum Gretchin mob right in front of my lootas (always will if I can manage it) to provide the lootas with a cover save. The tank may be a little off to the left and back or the right and back of the loota squad in order to leave them clear fire arcs to the sides if necessary.

Together, these three units would form the 'home base' part of my army while my sluggaz and nobz go out and bust some heads together.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 20:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sounds like ordnance heaven to me, that being it coming your way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't viable, just poking at it a bit.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 23:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Only problem with screening your own lootas is that you then grant the enemy a coversave because of your own grots.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 23:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I use my Meks as slavers.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2009, 11:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Another somewhat useful idea is to put the Lootas in a ruin or other structure and leave the Mek poking out on the first floor with the Tank next to him. As it's technically 3" to go up a level with an explosion, and it will give you a bit of a save (though the poor Mek will probably sadly die). Still a Boomwagon and Lootas next to them is a frightful amount of Dakka! I wish you the best with it, just get ready to be a target

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2009, 14:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
Sounds like ordnance heaven to me, that being it coming your way.
Yes, I suppose so, though my lootas would still get cover unless it was indirect. Also, I'm not sure so much fire would be incoming while I've got 90 boyz and some very dangerous nobz+warboss headed towards the enemy. Basically, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorechild
Only problem with screening your own lootas is that you then grant the enemy a coversave because of your own grots.
This is true, but against MEQs that doesn't really matter. Vehicles would also be bereft of the saves since the grots don't give the requisite 50% cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
Another somewhat useful idea is to put the Lootas in a ruin or other structure and leave the Mek poking out on the first floor with the Tank next to him. As it's technically 3" to go up a level with an explosion, and it will give you a bit of a save (though the poor Mek will probably sadly die).
I like this a lot. I tend to put my lootas in buildings (as I assume most people do) if at all possible. I'll give this a try if I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
Still a Boomwagon and Lootas next to them is a frightful amount of Dakka! I wish you the best with it, just get ready to be a target
Oh, I'm always ready to be a target. I wouldn't play orks otherwise. ;D