Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Da Boyz
Old 27 Jan 2009, 14:07   #1 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Default Da Boyz

Just a general question for you guys. Is it worth the extra points to upgrade your boyz to ard boyz? I've been using ard boys but I'm starting to think that it might be better to use those points somewhere else. 20-30 boyz times the upgrade cost is quite a few extra points to play with.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2009, 14:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Da Boyz

It really depends on your list and who you are up against. Most people agree that 'ard Boyz are useful but should be transported. The 4+ save is nice but going on foot is just begging to lose them. I feel they are worth the points if you're going to transport them, otherwise you're better off with more normal Boyz.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 14:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd imagine it would be good to upgrade a Trukk-Mob to 'Ard Boys. Even with the "Kareen"-table, you most often take S3 hits, which is enough to wipe out a third of the Mob. With Ard Boyz, its just 1/6 of da Boys, which makes the unit more resilent against the hardships of orky transportation.
Besides, a 4+ save ain't bad in CC, especially if you have only a small Mob to begin with.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2009, 14:23   #4 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Currently only the Nobs have vehicles.

I like to keep my mobs between 20 and 30 boyz so transports are one of my weaknesses right now. Without battlewagons all of my mobs have to hoof-it.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2009, 14:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I likes me having several Shas'Orks carrying shootaz and wearing looted Fire Warrior armor. Its great irony. ;D
Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

The cost of upgrading 30 'Ard Boyz is equvilant to 20 orks. So you got to ask yourself what you would rather have 30 boyz with a 4+ save or 50 boyz (2 squads of 25) with a 6+ save. To me this is a no brainer, since 20 more wounds and another scoring unit are just too good to pass up. 'Ard boyz sound good but rearely out perform their counter parts with no extra armour strapped on to them.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That said, there are niche scenarios where having extra armor will help, mainly related to economy of force or assaulting specific chokepoints. At any rate, another 12.5 Orks is a relatively small price to pay for a small armored trukk-mob.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you are going to use them, for love or Mork and Gork stay away from units with power weapons, powerfist, and any other weapon that ignores armour. Otherwise you just created a huge point sink.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2009, 02:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Read my last battrep. The unit of ard boyz went toe to toe with death company and assault marines and kicked their butts. The 4+ armor save in cc is a gorksend. Like others have said though, they need to have a transport. If they walk you'll find every AP 4 weapon pointed at them, and there are a lot of those around; your ard boyz won't be hard but mushy instead. Wait until you have something to transport them in, and then give them a try.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2009, 13:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i've alway's been tortured by the ar'd boy upgrade. the idea of 4+ SAVE FOR ONLY 4 POINTS tears my little orky heart to shreds when i don't take it. I tend to forget that bolters are ap5, so i never justify taking them. However, recently i've used them and they are most excellent, even against higher powered weaponry.
Warboss Vandersnag is offline   Reply With Quote