Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warbuggies: They worth it?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 00:43   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Warbuggies: They worth it?

In my very limited experience with them, I find them very squishy. Well, more squishy than the usual stuff Orks have. And I'm not really satisfied with the amount of dakka that they can dish out. I find it that Bikerz and Deffkoptas are just as mobile and dish as much as any Warbuggy as well as I can swoop in for the Killing Blow with my Power Klaw-armed Nobz/Warboss.

So, is there something I missed? Or are they like Flash Gitz? For theme but there's other units that can do better?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2009, 00:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: Warbuggies: They worth it?

They, uh...they look fun to convert. :P

I'm interested in this myself, I'd like a buggy or two in my fledgling Ork army, but I don't want to waste the time and money if they end up doing nothing for me. :P

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2009, 01:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well in my list I personaly dont take them beaucse they are in my opinon garbage. I prefer to take lotas beaucse hello str7 deff gunz, but I suppose that in the case of a speed freaks army they would probably benifit you more due to there fast support on the battlefield. I don't use them but they probably are useful in speed freaks though ???
Old 23 Jan 2009, 02:41   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I play speed freaks and for me there sole use is guarding my tranports which are the old style ones so they can actually be hid by the buggies, instead of the monstrosities of 5th edition.

I also use rokkit launcha's and with twin-linked and 2 of them I have a fair shot at penning the side armor of a tank, but as you said deff copta's can do the same thing for the same points

They came in the battle set so you mine as well play them?
2k erg test 7:01 145.3 split
6k erg test 18.36 152.8 split
and I am a lightweight
I stroked the boat that won the novice race of Head of the Hooch the 2nd largest regatta in the U.S.A. I can play warhammer because I earned it.
vercingatorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2009, 03:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Barely a battle went by in my old KoS lists that warbuggies did not make their points back or more when I used them. Times have changed and so have my lists and I rarely take buggies now as I like to field my Defkoptas. That does not take away from their usefulness though. I think AoBR created an influx of players that use Koptas (I used the old Koptas that were mail order from GW before the new ones ever came out and in the old days had a Mek on a Kopta). That should not deter you from using them in a KoS list however.

The Pros
1. They are cheap, especially considering their usefulness.
2. They are very fast.
3. The rokkit-buggy given its speed is relatively good at taking at vehicles, especially when shooting at side or rear armour. The twin-linking makes them somewhat reliable.
4. The skorcha-buggy is amazing against armies like tyranid or foot slogging orks, and useful against Tau, IG, Eldar and Dark Eldar. It has the ability to turbo up right in front of a squad and unleash a deadly torrent, reliably decimating most of a squad.
5. Buggies serve as good distractions. Throw them in front, or beside a trukk boy mob that is going to assault. You can turbo them around the enemy flank, and hopefully your opponent will target those cheap buggies instead of your huge horde of shoota boys marching down the centre.
6. Use them as last second objective contesters.
7. Opponent’s reactions to buggies is to use their big weapons on vehicles. Take advantage of this. Let them shoot your buggies armor with bolter fire, heavy bolters and assault cannons. It is another turn the real threat gets closer to them.
8. Buggies are very good anti-infantry.
9. Use the refused flank tactic. Place all your fastest units on one flank and the footsloggers on the other. The opponent will have to deploy across the table. On turn one turbo boost to other sides. If they have foot based units they are at a major disadvantage.

The Cons
1. They are fragile. Without cover they go down very quickly.
2. They take up slots that could be used for other fast attack choices. Are they better than Stormboys or Warbikers?
3. Do we want to spend our points on Defkoptas instead? They ara fast, can outflank and have some cc potential.
4. The new squadron rules make running groups of three a bit less desirable and grot riggers and upgrades are rarely worth their points on them now.

Now it would would seem the pros outweigh the cons but the weaknesses they have should be considered before hopping on the buggy(pardon my pun). I still like them. I just like other units more but that is a playstyle preference that is highly dependent on the rest of your list.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2009, 12:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

CanaBebe, you keep saying turbo boosting, do you mean this in the literal or figurative sense? Seeing as they're not bikes or jetbikes, they don't have the turbo boost special rule.

In addition to what has been said so far, Warbuggies are cheap. A buggie with a twin-linked rokkit runs you 10pts less than a Deffkopta with the same weapon. Because they are a vehicle, they can't be tied up in CC, which somebody could do with Deffkoptas to prevent them to achieving their objective.

I do still use them from time to time. If I want to get some cheap anti-armor on the table and have a slot open, I'll take it. I also take them to throw off my opponent since I often field Deffkoptas, so throwing a few Warbuggies on the table is usually not expected.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 12:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Warbuggies cannot turbo boost but they can go flat out for 18". Unlike a kopta after its been destroyed the buggie stands a good chance at still blocking LOS to trukk after takeing a pen/glancing hit. This alone is a reason why I would take a buggie over a deffkopta.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2009, 14:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Another thing probably worth mentioning when it comes to Buggies:

They profit from the KFF much more than the Deffkoptas do. Just keep one Buggy of the Skwadron near the Wagon-mounted KFF-Mek, and every Buggy has a nice and comfy 4+ cover save, which makes them a lot more resilent.

On the down side, their unit size is smaller than the Deffkoptas. Even Tau Piranhas can have more Piranhas per squadron than Orks with their Buggies! >

I think Buggies are now - more than ever - a fluff choice. Everyone and their mom plays now the Deffkoptas - why not? They're fast, cool, look amazing, have a lot of options...
But then again, they're supposedly new and rare, whereas the trusted old Buggy was there from the start.

As soon as I can figure out how to properly scratchbuild Buggies from Trukk Parts, I'm gonna field a couple of them, that's for sure!

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2009, 17:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Yeah, that's my main criticism with the new White Dwarf. They show you all those conversions and give you no help whatsoever in figuring out how to do such a thing yourself. "Look at the pretty models, buy the new trukk! Buy the new bikes! BUY THE BATTLEWAGON!" Okay, but wait a minute, what the **** do I do with all the pa-"JUST BUY IT!"

But I guess that's the point, they want to sell more starter sets so of course the deffkopta will be the much better option. Of course they don't want you converting buggies because they'd rather have you fielding deffkoptas.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2009, 22:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The point of the White Dwarf article was to show you what a person with some creativity can build not for you to copy. DOn;t be afraid to cut the bitz and try things out.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote