Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how to break da Boyz?
Old 18 Jan 2009, 23:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default how to break da Boyz?

i play Dark Angels, and my most frequent match-up is against my brother's footslogging Ork army. in the last couple of games we've played, i have been unable to make any significant dent in his forces before a screaming green tide of Boyz, power-klaw-wielding Nobz and armoured Warbosses hit my lines. i've been experimenting with different force layouts, including Deathwing-heavy lists, MultiWing and Tactical armies, and nothing seems to stand out as an effective combiation.

my plea for aid thus goes out to the Warbosses of TO: what is the best way to beat an infantry-based Ork assault army?

thanks in advance,
==Arn==
I'm the face that you have to face
Mirrored in your stare
I'm what's left, I'm what's right
I'm the enemy
I'm the hand that'll take you down,
Bring you to your knees.
Arnorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 00:11   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: how to break da Boyz?

Templates. Lots of 'em. And loads of DAKKA! A Whirlwind or two might help you thin out the Ork Boyz and with your special missiles; ignore whatever cover is in-between. A Devastator Squad decked out with Heavy Bolters will also do the trick. A Deathwing Squad might be able to hold out for a turn or 2 depending how you equipped them. Also, Ravenwings can be used to flank and harass them. Just within range of your Range Weapons and Heavy Bolter then you can assault them when you thin them out and quite confident of defeating them in Assault.

Hope this helps.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 08:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thanks for the assist, Zen. i'll try throwing together a devastator squad - up to now i've been running alot of plasma weapons, but they don't seem to pack enough of a punch for their cost. unfortunately the heaviest piece of kit in my army is a pair of Dreads, but my opponent is forever coming up with new ways to render them obsolete. perhaps an attack bike or three would help...
Mirrored in your stare
I'm the enemy
Bring you to your knees.
Old 19 Jan 2009, 11:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian

assault marines!!! get the charge on their lines before they reach the rest of your force. If they surive use them to counter assault.

It work agenst me... >

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 11:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorath
i've been experimenting with different force layouts, including Deathwing-heavy lists, MultiWing and Tactical armies, and nothing seems to stand out as an effective combiation.
Not surprising that you haven't had success.A footslogger list can be very hard to break...especially with low model count armies. A Deathwing army at 1,500 points is going to consist of what - 30-35 models? An Ork army of the same size is going to be able to spam 200 Orks after buying a Warboss...and still have points left over for some Nobz & gunz. Strictly speaking statistically, the notion of each and every one of your Terminators being able to kill 6 Orks before they die is not very likely.

Likewise, a multi-wing army compensates for some of the Deathwing's lack of mobility...but still lacks models.

As Zenai mentioned, templates (i.e. blasts) are good, high rates of fire (Heavy Bolters) are good. Diz mentioned Assault Marines which are again good.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned are simple Bolter traps. Run loads of Tactical marines with only Heavy Bolter upgrades (10 models, 9 Bolters, 1 Heavy Bolter). Deploy them so that they can support one another or at least Rapid Fire once a unit retreats. Keep the formation relatively compact (say, no more than 6" between units) and let them come. Concentrate fire on the most deadly units (those with Rokkits or Nobz) to try to break them early. Focus on the closest units.

Try to deploy your force so that only part of his force can reach you at once. If you can even up or outnumber him as he gets to you, you've got a chance. Two squads of Tactical Marines can drop 36 S4 and 6 S5 shots in a single shooting phase for a total of about 15 dead Orks per turn. If you can bottleneck him so that you're only facing down 2 30 boy mobs each turn, you can smack him with 15 casualties per mob with just 4 Tac Squads. He will charge, you'll attack first and, hopefully, you'll survive the attack.

You can back your Bolter line up with a few Devastator Squads with Plasma Cannons & Heavy Bolters and maybe an Assault Squad or two for counter attacks or delaying tactics. By my math, you should be able to pick up 4 x 10 Tac Squads (with Heavy Bolters), 2 x 5 Devastator Squads (2 x Heavy Bolter, 2 x Plasma Cannon), 2 x 10 Assault Marines (no upgrades), and a cheap commander for right around 1500 points (you may have to slim down just a little bit).

Hope this helps,
Aureus

edit...sorry, I came off like an ass.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 20:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Straight up Bike squads backed up by HB Attack Bikes should help.

If that doesn't work, kick him in the nads for putting too many models on the table.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 22:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thanks for the advice guys. on Aureus' advice i tried a list composed mainly of Tac squads with heavy bolters, and while i was able to blunt the main force of my opponent's charge, by the time the melee was over two out of three objectives were firmly in Ork hands and i lacked enough models or game turns to take them back.

i'm going to try a slightly different tactic, and focus on using the bolter-trap squads as a delaying measure rather than as a means to slaughter the entire horde, and attempt to break through and/or around his lines with a kitted out squad of lightning claw-armed Deathwing and/or Assault marines. in theory the Dreadnought at the centre of my Tac squad formation will draw alot of attention, and those footsloggers will be so keen on surrounding and assaulting that part of my army that the faster (read: more killy) elements of the force should be able to assault targets of their choice. i figure if i can deny the Boyz the benefit of their Furious Charge, i can make a decent enough dent in them, and hopefully make them run after a turn or two...

Mirrored in your stare
I'm the enemy
Bring you to your knees.
Old 19 Jan 2009, 23:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, a super mobile force of Razorbacks would run rings around footsloging boyz on a big enough table, but I don't think that was what you were looking for...

You could try a bunch of small distraction units, as they could keep the boyz pinned for a few turns. Nail the first mob with a small group of DSing termis, and Assult Marines charg into another, then, you have a ton of other boyz stuck behind them or being forced to go around some other way. In which case you can bombard them with Whirlwinds.
Grr! Here is a new word to express my anger:

#$@&#\*%#@^@
Gaahrneedtokill

Life is a basket of crazed, flesh eating weasels.
>
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewiththeface
my friend had a teacher on a test after getting 49 question right, he got the 50th wrong and the teacher wrote "C-c-c-c-combo breaker-r-r-r" next to it.
Notanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2009, 14:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

My two biggest fears when facing my friend's Dark Angels with my Orks, the Whirlwind and the 10 strong Assault Marines lead by a Chaplain.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 11:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thanks, i'll be sure to try that. unfortunately i don't have a whirlwind, or indeed enough assault marines for a ten-man squad, but i guess i can use some tac marines as proxies.

i've gone off the idea of massed plasma fire (my original tactic) and decided to focus on getting more bodies on the table. atm i'm working with a list made up of two maxed tac squads, one dread with assault cannon and heavy flamer, an assault squad with chappie and an assault-orientated Deathwing squad (my brother and i tend to play around the 1000-point mark as both our armies arer still largely under construction). yet to test it out, but will report any major successes and/or drawbacks.

thanks for the great advice guys!

==Arn==
Mirrored in your stare
I'm the enemy
Bring you to your knees.