Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thoughs on a Burna boy drive by list
Old 14 Jan 2009, 19:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Thoughs on a Burna boy drive by list

Hey,
I was browsing the ork codex when i saw (not for the first time mind) Burna Boyz, thats up to 15 flamers in a squad, and 45 if you take 3 of them, i thought that this would work well as a drive by list where you stick your burna boyz (2 squads of 15) in a battle wagon (or trukk) and join a warboss to them (to deter assualters) and park your transport right next to the enemy and give them a lick (or 15) of flame, if theres anything left at the end of the turn you merely let them assualt you, if you survive you move away and flame them again, if your trukk is destroyed you beat them up. You could even tank shokk them and then set them alight.

Thoughts?

Morglum.
mamba21500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2009, 20:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Thoughs on a Burna boy drive by list

Problem with drive by lists is that passengers can shoot only as long as the vehicle they're on hasn't moved more than 6" (7" with Red Paint). You can move 12", disembark and fire, though this leaves you vulnerable.

It is a good one-trick pony, but it will be hard to get steady successes with it.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2009, 20:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah, i must have misread the rules then, I thought open topped vehicles could move their full distance and the passengers could still shoot out. Err, thats kind of a blow, as now it only works against horde armies, hmm, i'll have to work on it.
But hey, even if you can't move 12 inches and fire, thats still gonna be painful for the enemy.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 21:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

I use this on vassal in a flame mad list and in 1500 in my all comers list it can sometimes be hard to pull off but if you suceed the sheer number of hits will kill most foes and if the opponent is stupid enough to put 2 units near each other they will mostlkly both die.

Here's and example 6 banshees 1 exarch 1 phoenix lord a 12 man burna squad in a battlewagon later hit 5 with the template that equals a phoenix lord with 1 wound left alive

there is one important thing with burna's they require a shielded battlewagon to be effective since on foot their cannon flodder and a trukk even shielded is to fragile and with a low leadership with the burna's and the pinning and mostlikely 25% casulties morale test that's not good
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2009, 07:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't know how you worked out that 5 hit with a template, they hit anyway...

If the trukk is a bit weak, couldn't you take a battlewagon and fill it with 15 burna orks, as normal infantry can't deal with it (apart from tau with EMP's, and deathwing).

Anyway, if a full squad looses 25% it fearless (mob rule), and so will be fine.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 19:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morglum
I don't know how you worked out that 5 hit with a template, they hit anyway...

If the trukk is a bit weak, couldn't you take a battlewagon and fill it with 15 burna orks, as normal infantry can't deal with it (apart from tau with EMP's, and deathwing).

Anyway, if a full squad looses 25% it fearless (mob rule), and so will be fine.
with 5 hits I meant that I covered 5 models with my template which with the 12 burna's equals 60 hit on the unit

yes with 15 it won't be as much of a problem but their still orks with a 6+ save so as soon as their battlewagon is destroyed they can be gunned down quite easily the reason why I sugested a battlewagon which is within 6" of the big mek with kustom force field (a must for pure mechanised speed freaks)
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2009, 19:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah sorry, misunderstanding on my side there :P.

I'm not sure how the Kustom force field works, haven't got the codex to hand, so i'll just agree with what you said...
Old 15 Jan 2009, 20:45   #8 (permalink)
Chork Naghriz

Very very effective. I played 1000pt tourny and with only 10 burna boyz in a battle wagon I caused 90 wounds on 1 squad of chaos marines.

I play a drive by ork list, you can see it in the army list section under 1000pt Red Skins list.

Hope I helped.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 02:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If you can pull it off, I think it's overkill. In a good way >

Seriously though, if you base your list around the concept, it means you are doing overkill on the unit you happen to be toasting, and, as an expensive and fragile unit themselves, this is probably not optimal.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2009, 02:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The sick part is when a list spams 3 burna boy units, all in battlewagons with deffrollas, with a big mek in the center battlewagon with a KFF.

Three tank shocks, each inflicting 1d6 S10 wounds, and all forcing the enemy units to bunch up to make room for the battlewagons, thus allowing for "massive flaming template death spam".

All this for about 900 points, depending on the wargear on the mek and battlewagons, and the number of burnas in each battlewagon.

I therefore would not play that in under a 2000 point army list, but it can be done, and can be effective.

A single burna unit in a speed freeks army can also be useful this way. (if there are already 6-10 transports on the field, your opponent may not be able to stop the burnas, as his anti tank is already going too many places at once.

So go for it. Have fun! And be sure to tell us about all the 'umans you BBQ'd >

*Remembers old ork joke*

One ork is having a meal when another walks up and asks what he is eating. He replies: "Scorpion"

The other ork asks him what it tastes like, and he replies:

"It tastes a lot like farseer". :P
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote