Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Building an Ork Army from multiple Black Reach Sets. Transport opinions....
Old 13 Jan 2009, 14:48   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Building an Ork Army from multiple Black Reach Sets. Transport opinions....

Hey all,

I'm building an Ork Army based on several AOBR sets. I currently have 80 boyz, 20 Nobz 9 Deffkoptas and a Trukk.

To add to my mobility I'm considering adding another Trukk and a Battlewagon. Will that be a good start or should I consider more transports for an army of this size?

Thanks!
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 15:00   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Building an Ork Army from multiple Black Reach Sets. Transport opinions....

Depends really; you want to go Kult of Speed (Mechanized Orks) or Foot-slogging or go Hybrid?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 15:18   #3 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Building an Ork Army from multiple Black Reach Sets. Transport opinions....

If you are going to get another vehicle I would make it a Battlewagon. That way you can carry a squad of 20 orks and let the truck carry your Nobs. Also, if this isn't your first army don't forget that you can use the vehicles from your other army as looted transports/tanks - which will save a lot of cash starting out.

Final note. I run a mostly foot slogging army backed up with looted tanks, so far it has worked very well for me.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 20:35   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm thinking a bit of a hybrid army I guess...That's why 2 trucks and the Battlewagon. That'll put a little under half of the army in vehicles (if I choose to put that many in vehicles) and the rest on foot.

Any elite or HQ characters I should be looking at? I'm not sure how many of the warbosses I own that I can use so I don't know if I need some special characters to add some goodies or if I can field more than one with some different wargear(as you can probably tell, I haven't spent much time curled up with the codex yet).
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 20:49   #5 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Well I'm not exactly a master ork player myself - I've only been running orks about 4 months. I haven't really used to many of the HQ choices so I can't speak to most of them. But the warboss' you have with blackreach give you the ability to take Nob mobs as troops, which in 5th ed is a really nice feature.

For Elites I love Lootas. Taking Nobs in the troop slots allows me to take lots of Lootas. They have excellent range and provide great covering fire for your advancing troops. In my experience they force the enemy away from open fire lanes and force them to split fire between the advancing hand-to-hand orks and the squads throwing support fire from the rear. That alone means that more orks are alive to smash into the enemy, so even if my lootas had never hit once they served their purpose. I find it a very effective combo.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 21:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mr. Furious (Oh, I love that movie too!):
Nox makes many very good points, espeically about the Lootas. I can only add my two cents for what they are worth
You can have up to 2 HQs, and the Warbosses are quite useful, at least as far as modeling possibilities go. I've made my Big Mek and my Warboss from the same Warboss character, and AOBR modifications are delightfully easy, with all of them being plastic.
If you're just starting Orks, it may be easiest to start with a single Warboss and a Big Mek, or a pair of Warbosses. They're fairly easy to run, hit hard, and do everything you need them to do. Once you've gotten a hang of your playing style, then it's fairly easy to go back and get an SAG/KFF Mek or whatever from the Bitz.
I know the Codex seems rather daunting at first, but its best to read the whole kit as well, just so that you can perhaps find a certain flavour that meets your palate.
I've found its best to choose a theme that suits you, and then grow your army from that.

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote