Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ork Kult of Speed - Yesterday and Today
Old 13 Jan 2009, 02:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Ork Kult of Speed - Yesterday and Today

Ork Kult of Speed - Yesterday and Today

Before the new Codex Orks was released Kult of Speed was one of the few Ork lists that did well at major tournaments. It was a simple list with a few well defined rules. All infantry in a Kult of Speed list had to be mounted in vehicles. Similar to the new 5th edition rules they could mount up in any vehicle that was available. This included trucks, battlewagons ( with deffrollas ) and looted wagons. Trukk boy mobs counted as troops. The remainder of the list often included bikes, buggies, stormboyz and deffkoptas. It doesn’t sound all that different from today’s speed freaks’ lists does it? Of course back in those days your mobs failed a morale check they had to fall back to the farthest available empty trukk and were subjected to enemy crossfire all the while. If no trukk was available they were destroyed but otherwise they automatically regrouped.

KoS Army List

So the FoC looked like this …

HQ: Biker Warboss w/ Nob bikers, Warboss, KoS Biker Warboss, Mounted Big Mek
Elites: Stormboys, ‘Ard Boys, Skarboys
Troops: Warbike Squadron, Buggies, Trukk Boys, Mounted Burnas, Mounted Tankabustas
Fast Attack: Deth Koptas (what they were called then), Fighta Bommerz, Warbike outriders (with a nice scout move)
Heavy: Battlewagons, Looted Vehicle, Guntrukk

Well the rules for looted vehicles have changed, guntrukks are no longer available, the incredible fighta bommerz with its preliminary barrage assault is gone, skarboys do not exist and warbike outriders are defunct.

Tactics Then and Now

My old KoS list used a Warboss riding with some ‘Ard Boys, a squad of Stormboys, three mobs of truck boys, warbiker outriders and some guntrukks. It did very well once I had grasped the concept of how to play the army. A pure KoS army does not have the numbers of a hybrid or footslogging list. You needed to be careful not to throw squads into suicide attacks. This perceived weakness was offset by the maneuverability of a KoS list, the toughness of its bikers and an abundance of powerklaws. KoS excelled in smaller games. These concepts still hold true.

A Biker Boss with a retinue was often used as it made a decidedly tough and fast spearhead to our assaults. Now we get a nice save from turbo boosting and we all know what a Nob Biker squad is capable of.

Just like today we always had a power klaw in every squad – bikers or trukk boys.

We always assaulted with more then one squad. Sending a lone squad of trukk boys was and still is very risky. Let your bikers unleash a hail of dakka first and then assault with both squads.

We were fond of placing a Big Mek in a vehicle to help it survive and today our KFF Mek can insure that all vehicles within 6” get that nice ‘obscured save”.

We stayed super fast, with everything in the army moving 24" a turn, and taking the fight to the enemy. Everything but the Stormboys were mounted and we had plenty of dakka with buggies and wagons. Today we still have our TL Shootas on bikes, Shoota mobs in trucks, plenty of pks and rokkits and buggies and defkoptas for support. Speed indeed kills.

Quote:
You have not mentioned buggies at all. Personally I find them great and even though they usually die, they subtract gunfire from other squads and my trukks. If they dont die, they pretty quickly earn their points back.
Indeed scorcha buggies were used in some lists. Today buggies are being ignored a bit in favour of defkoptas now that AoBR has supplied us with so many nice models. They were and still are a great addition if used properly to sheild your incoming trukks or just to pop out of cover and fire their rokkits or scorch a squad in cover.

Our common troop choice was twelve boys in a truck, a big shoota with a nob with a pk. Nowadays we add a bosspole to the nob, a ram to the truck and possibly a rokkit or big shoota as well.

KoS was always an army that we usaed like scalpel rather then a hammer. It took finesse back in the day and it still does. They can be incredibly powerful. An HQ with Wazdakka and a biker boss and then troops of truck boys, bikes and Nob bikers can handle most situations. You need to focus on any target as a group assault. Form a concentrated assault force, each squad covering the other's weaknesses and use your fast attack and troop slots as a joint assault unit.

When we played the old KoS lists we were very cognizant of not overloading our lists with elite and heavy slots. You need boys even in a KoS list. Unless you are playing the Nob biker spam list ( which I admit is a legitimate KoS list) try and get in as many trukk mobs as possible and finish the list off with your bikers, battlewagons, boom wagons, burnas, buggies or koptas. You do not need twenty Nob bikers in every list to win. I love Ravensquig but I try to keep it a bit balanced so that we can all have fun.

Now I miss my scout moves that the outriders provided, I’ve lost my looted Russes and Basilisks, my Fighta Bommerz attack is gone. In its place we can outflank our deffkoptas. We have looted boomwagons for our heavy slots and very customizable battlewagons. We can use our Stormboyz to move ahead quickly as well. I do not like kommandos in a pure KoS list. I also know the value of grots to a KoS list but I will not use them as well. Of course you must make your own decisions.

KoS Played Today

So the rules have changed a bit but with the new codex we can still field truck boys as troops and if we choose we can still keep to the original theme of a Kult of Speed list. Most of the units in a KoS list have remained and some are even better. I find it a common misconception that Nob Biker squads with an attached Warboss are not recognized as a throwback to the lists of old and a Wazdakka list is really a traditional KoS biker list. Certainly both are playable lists today.

So how would I play a traditional KoS list today? I will humbly submit a nice basis for a solid throwback list that keeps the spirit of the old KoS lists …

Warboss on bike w/ 5 Nob bikers
KFF Mek w/ eighteen boys and a nob in a Defrolla Batlewagon
Two squads of Trukk boys
Two Boomwagons

With this a base you play games from 1000 points and up just adding in more boys, more trukks, some buggies, some bikes/koptas, and more battlewagons.

bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 05:28   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Ork Kult of Speed - Yesterday and Today

Nice little article on KoS and I think you're going to be shot saying that Nob Bikerz are legit KoS list :P
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 11:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

You have not mentioned buggies at all. Personally I find them great and even though they usually die, they subtract gunfire from other squads and my trukks. If they dont die, they pretty quickly earn their points back.

I field WB and nobs in trukk
3 trukks w. boys
6 buggies
5-6 bikes

It works pretty good.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 12:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
You have not mentioned buggies at all.
My bad. Yes some buggies do fit in the list. I did mention them but did no elaborations on them. I think it is because we had outriders and deth koptas in our KoS lists and they were preferred by many of the players I knew. In today's meta we are seeing less and less buggies as well. They are now competing with bikes and defkoptas. I have rewally never tackled an analysis of buggies yet. Maybe you should write up a small article on them, Esque?
Old 13 Jan 2009, 16:40   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I always run 2 buggies with my list of 1500 mainly as a protection for my transports 1 buggie with 1 transport there ability to entirely block line of sight for transports (I use the older transports that are much smaller) or at least give a cover save is invaluble.

It gives me the ability to start the game and make sure my transports cannot get shot at the first turn save them exploding my buggie and THEN having another shot at them.

I always give my buggies TL rokkit launcha's because their guarding job usually takes them to the side or even back armor of the enemies tanks. For 4th edition I never used TL rokkits, the combined fire of TL big shootas and the big shoota's from my transports and than assaulting from the squad, was effective against most infantry squads.

The loota's took away that job though as a I run loota's in a BW making Big shootas on my buggies obsolete. I agree with Esque in the ability to subract gunfire though I find 6 buggies to be excessive for my purpose, I run a very different style of KOS than most.
2k erg test 7:01 145.3 split
6k erg test 18.36 152.8 split
and I am a lightweight
I stroked the boat that won the novice race of Head of the Hooch the 2nd largest regatta in the U.S.A. I can play warhammer because I earned it.
vercingatorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 21:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wow, this post brings back so many memories...
Yes, KoS has changed a lot...
I hate to wax nostalgia, but I remember when being an Ork player was synonymous with being a KoS/Feral Ork player. Back when silly things like the Choppa rule were in play...

Thanks for the article!

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 23:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I had a beautiful Feral Ork army once. I ended up selling it but I had a Warboss on a cybor boar, a retinue on boars with painboy, FW squiggoths, etc. You just made me miss it. Little did I know that I could have adopted the whole army to the current codex! I had to build my Ravensquig from scratch. I sold it because like Nob Bikers too many players in our group cried 'cheese' and really did not want to face all those ridiculously cheap mad boys.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 02:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

CanaBebe:
Perhaps we should have some kind of self-help group for people who have through one circumstance or another lost an army...
It is my belief that armies should never be sold. Only given to those who would use them to further enhance the enjoyment of the game.
I also am considering making it a house rule that if people want a unit out of the game, they must buy a display case, so that the unit can be placed there for daily worship so that their awesomeness will somehow trickle down to the other units...
I am of course entirely kidding with that last part

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote